Hypothesis as to why some prefer vinyl: Douglas Self

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your sampling rate was 96Khz, but sampling does not cause time smear, filtering does. So how did you produce this figure.

Hans

Straight output of a Sigma Delta ADC which is a filter. Hans those pictures are of infinite BW signals they don't exist in any real world. If the recording process obeys Nyquist the DAC can not see those signals. If they could show a cymbal crash displaced over +-5 feet they would have, but they can't. The point is they can't make their point with real audio signals, or at least their point would be very weak.

Last edited:
Reason #1: Life Beyond 20 kHz.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Supertramp Logical Song, Vinyl, Flat Preamplification, No RIAA EQ

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Supertramp Logical Song, Vinyl, Post-RIAA Using Biquad DSP RIAA

Supertramp Logical Song, CD Transfer With mp3 Compression, Note that the CD Version Has An Accelerated Fade and Is Slightly Shorter

Related reading:
"Life Beyond 20kHz," David Blackmer, Sound and Video Contracting, September, 1998. Blackmer: Life Beyond 20 kHz, S&VC September 1998

Reason #1: Life Beyond 20 kHz.

Supertramp Logical Song, Vinyl, Flat Preamplification, No RIAA EQ

Supertramp Logical Song, Vinyl, Post-RIAA Using Biquad DSP RIAA

Supertramp Logical Song, CD Transfer With mp3 Compression, Note that the CD Version Has An Accelerated Fade and Is Slightly Shorter

Related reading:
"Life Beyond 20kHz," David Blackmer, Sound and Video Contracting, September, 1998. Blackmer: Life Beyond 20 kHz, S&VC September 1998

The important question here is: What do all those high frequencies represent?
A simple test will tell you: Record the record with the highest possible sample rate. High pass the file at 20kHz. Then pitch shift the file down a couple of octaves. What do you hear?
I have no vinyl to record, so can't do the test. I can do the high pass filtering and pitch shifting, so if others are willing to record, I can process the files.

The important question here is: What do all those high frequencies represent?

A significant portion is synthesized harmonics.

Sounds like a good experiment you propose.

Greg Reirson over at Gearslutz ran some experiments in which he used band-limited (22 kHz) source material, cut it to vinyl, transferred the vinyl at 96 kHz and analyzed the results. The last octave looked similar to the vinyl I showed previously. Harmonics appeared that weren't in the original source. I'll see if I can find that link....

With FFTs that look like this it's no big surprise we see harmonic enhancement. Note how H2 dominates H3.

PTS_RIAA_OP270_A_Weighted_Left_354CMS.jpg

FFT of a Stanton 681 playing a CBS STR-100 Band 6A 1 KHz left only at 3.54 cm/second

mediatechnology said:
Greg Reirson over at Gearslutz ran some experiments in which he used band-limited (22 kHz) source material, cut it to vinyl, transferred the vinyl at 96 kHz and analyzed the results. The last octave looked similar to the vinyl I showed previously. Harmonics appeared that weren't in the original source. I'll see if I can find that link....

I found that link. The two images are the 44.1 source and the 44.1 source being played back from the lacquer: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9289819-post21.html

44k1 source, 44k1 Off Lacquer

356236d1375378562-mastering-vinyl-44k1-source.png

356237d1375378562-mastering-vinyl-44k1-off-lacquer.png

My hunch,

I think there are a few aspects to digital. I've read a lot from different mastering engineers. I gather that the lp even with it's limitation has good dynamic range of 75db and good stereo separation. The 16 bit cd vs the 24 bit. I was reading, maybe Ludwig saying if you listened to 16 then 24 for only a few minutes you wouldn't hear a difference from the same mastering. But if you played the 24 bit recording all the way through- 45 minutes or an hr and then went to the 16 bit. You would definitely hear it.

What's the stereo separation at 5 khz or 10 khz on a cd playback? Overtones...

In the end good mastering makes a huge difference. Maybe having more limited storage space forces someone to do a better job with the lp?

...i´m sure the point it´s not in format itself, but the person responsible at that time of recording.

as buyer of hdtracks, it is VERY NOTICEABLE old vs new albums, how the whole thing sounds.
IMHO hi-res digital is the maximum achievable quality, system itself affects music very little

lp has extra touch to it, you are handling a physical spinning thing, just watching it spin gives feelings. :) huge photos, booklets...etc.

due to recording limitations, stupid things like loudness wars are impossible on analog formats.
that can be the reason, why general public prefers lp.

DF96 said:
LP has poorer dynamic range than CD ("75dB" vs 90dB?), and much worse stereo separation (20-30dB vs. 80-90dB?). LP is just about good enough for music, but noticeably worse than CD.
Oh my........

Everything is BETTER about a 100% analogue recording on a record!! (Or even a cassette or 8 track (IF ITS 100% ANALOG))

Digital sounds thinner,sterile and void!!!

Last edited:
LP has poorer dynamic range than CD ("75dB" vs 90dB?), and much worse stereo separation (20-30dB vs. 80-90dB?). LP is just about good enough for music, but noticeably worse than CD.

But it has unlimited resolution.
And good records will captivate you a lot more than the cd version. Also the cd version often sounds flat, cold and lifeless in comparison.

For me there is no comparison.
For me CD just sounds like a higher quality mp3.

Dude111 said:
Everything is BETTER about a 100% analogue recording on a record!! (Or even a cassette or 8 track (IF ITS 100% ANALOG))

Digital sounds thinner,sterile and void!!!
Oh dear! Practically everything about LP is inferior to CD. Of course, some people don't like high fidelity sound reproduction and describe it as "thinner,sterile and void".

globalplayer said:
But it has unlimited resolution.
LP is limited by vinyl particle size (and dust particle size). CD, with correct dithering, has unlimited resolution.

And good records will captivate you a lot more than the cd version.
No.

Also the cd version often sounds flat, cold and lifeless in comparison.
Yes, some people who don't like hi-fi describe it as "flat, cold and lifeless".

For me CD just sounds like a higher quality mp3.
Maybe you need a better CD player? Or maybe you need a better turntable/cartridge, as you may have become used to the problems of LP in your system and find anything different to be inferior.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
LP is limited by vinyl particle size (and dust particle size).

I have done lots of measurements on LP, dynamic range is 50dB on a good day, tops. Most were around 45dB. That's the range between max output level and the surface noise, which limits the resolution.
CD resolution is about 100 times more (40dB). Even more (much more) if dithered.

Jan

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you read some of the LP mastering forums, you'll come across threads where the mastering engineers will talk about monitoring the LP master as it's being cut from a digital file. Often they describe the LP cut as adding a certain "something" pleasant to the sound. The term I've seen most is "depth". No one really explains why that would be. Sometimes that LP master playback is recorded and used for the CD master. Yes, really. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.