Hypothesis as to why some prefer vinyl: Douglas Self

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bingo to Pano!!!!Years ago I started doing my last mix and master check with a fan running in the room. I wrote about it and now it is widely adopted. You Piano, are correct as usual, Nor too long ago I would never have revealed that trick nor the reasons I did it as you have accurately outlined. Knowing that was my edge. Now I am ready to share.

Me too, I dish the disks in sand, then 5 min in the microwave to make sure there is enough rumble, then I use a concrete DIY tone arm to make sure the needle can follow the groove. I also listen with a chain saw making white noise on the side to make sure I can hear more 'details'.

My type of music, sounds better on vinyl than youtube : YouTube

Last edited:
Years ago I started doing my last mix and master check with a fan running in the room. I wrote about it and now it is widely adopted.
In multimedia (and ringtone) audio production it was common practice since late 90's to use a pink noise loop to mix against and to finalize (squash to oblivion) audio tracks. Before there was a loudness war in music-audio, there was a need for 'as loud as possible' audio for small-speaker devices (laptops, presentations)...

Before that time; I wasn't allowed to put my fingers onto gear in "music" studios - I was allowed there only as instrument player. But I had a small 4-track 'for jingles' reel2reel based setup at home. There I used my japanese ARIA 'rockman copy' as a noise generator at mixdown. The DIST (??) setting was noisy and useful as a background noise generator at mixing.

Bingo to Pano!!!!Years ago I started doing my last mix and master check with a fan running in the room. I wrote about it and now it is widely adopted. You Piano, are correct as usual, Nor too long ago I would never have revealed that trick nor the reasons I did it as you have accurately outlined. Knowing that was my edge. Now I am ready to share.

Stochastic Resonance is a known phenomenon/technique and I would not be surprised if it lent itself as a credible explanation for why one might prefer a less-than-ideal SNR. Consider for a moment that if successfully deciphering a signal from noise by ear stimulated the reward system in the brain, then we have a physiological mechanism at play. Those less pleased by such a task might be less willing to overlook playback-induced noise.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Reel to reels look cool which makes them sound good
That's certainly part of it. :). Having made my living from R2R for years - mostly Studer and Revox - they did sound darn good. Nothing wrong with a good 1/4" tape running at 15 or 30 ips. Of course theses days we can buy a little Tascam digital recorder that is super clean and sounds just fine. Tape was fun, but a lot of work. Heavy, too.

Stochastic Resonance is a known phenomenon/technique and I would not be surprised if it lent itself as a credible explanation for why one might prefer a less-than-ideal SNR. Consider for a moment that if successfully deciphering a signal from noise by ear stimulated the reward system in the brain, then we have a physiological mechanism at play. Those less pleased by such a task might be less willing to overlook playback-induced noise.

mmm this is contradictory, it is easier to track musical instruments playing their lines on vinyl than on cd.

when the music distorts which happens for many reasons on vinyl probably you relax your analytical efforts and it makes the music more enjoyable.

Master Sensei I have been studying the dark art of audio for decades and I am troubled.

--What is it Grasshopper?

Well, I have trod hot coals and perfected the splits of Jean-Clade Van Damme, but I cannot endure the last 5% of the black disc. I also hear rumours of the enemy with small shiny discs aplenty, and a new weapon of digital that has no body, which travels through the ether and assails the senses.

--Do not worry Grasshopper, the elders have a plan. The song writers and composers will be instructed to put the crescendo of the finale in the middle, and the quiet bit of the beginning at the end. The black disc will prevail.

Vinyl is gaining popularity especially since the spreading in the market of the now common "perfect sounding" sound re-shaper, feedback filter, OS, bit perfect DAC. Guess they all sound very sterile and have much more quantization and digital filtering errors than appears on paper. People who want music are just fed up of listening to the new chips, they are ok for feeding class D monsters.

Cassettes have been growing in popularity as well in recent years (and I don't recall any claims that they were as good as LPs). The duplicators (well, the one cassette duplicator that stayed in business in the USA, thanks largely to books for the blind) are now running 24/7 to keep up with demand.

I've read speculation that this revival is due to people wanting to "own" their copies of music as tangible, physical objects, rather than just files on a hard disk drive that they don't even know where it is in the computer. Certainly a lot of the new LPs sold are being played on turntables and reproduction systems that "we" would NOT call hi-fi.

All these formats (even MP3 and CD!) give "adequate" fidelity for many or most listeners. If it's good enough to recognize the voice of Elvis, it's good enough.

The biggest issue to my ears has been the recording quality. I never found vinyl that great, but like a charcoal BBQ its sometimes more fun to use. I also found most CDs to sound like cr@p. In comparison vinyl often sounds better. I got rid of nearly all my CD's. But I Have a couple of Chesky CD's which are superb, the difference is Stark, clearly better than my other CD's and better than my vinyl.

Last edited:
stocktrader200, I've been listening to Brothers in Arms album lately over and over.. very good quality sound coming from the vinyl. The CD lossless rip I have on computer doesn't sound as good to my ears. Who knows maybe it' smy SPDIF out on my computer or my DAC. I did try a more expensive dac (at $400) and to me my $30 FIIO sounded as good or better. All the highs are so crisp, clear and separated on the vinyl ... lots of dynamic range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.