Hypothesis as to why some prefer vinyl: Douglas Self

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LOL guys, spladski and peteloni... Don't you think we already tried that?

It doesn't sound like vinyl. I prefer to keep spinning the vinyl than listening to my 192khz 24bit transcription from a top of line AD straight from the phono.

Actually I do prefer the vinyl transcription of many recordings if I have no choice to listen to digital. I can only imagine how good the real thing sounds like.

Has to be double blind test, and I will bet money it can't be distingued. About 2005 when the snr (which actually is a good indicator of Adda quality) began to push the 116 and above range, the best of the converters chips became almost perfect. Certainly inaudible signal degradation. I do mastering for a living. There are a lot of people in this biz with money tied up in analog gear. I am more interested in the quality of the final product and that product will be best served digitally. And has been for over 10 years. I like view vinyl too
But I do not kid myself nor my clients a bit.

mastering...
i have a coldplay hdtracks album.
from other hd´s i have, this one sounds crap.
quality is good, but eq is weird as hell !

very old albums like doors feels right, but tape hiss or treble noise/distortion can be heard (this is rarely a problem during listening)

imho, this vinyl preference is more related to how well the studio people did their job ... and not the format itself...:mallet:

That is so correct!!!!
mastering...
i have a coldplay hdtracks album.
from other hd´s i have, this one sounds crap.
quality is good, but eq is weird as hell !

very old albums like doors feels right, but tape hiss or treble noise/distortion can be heard (this is rarely a problem during listening)

imho, this vinyl preference is more related to how well the studio people did their job ... and not the format itself...:mallet:

Exactly. If there is actually a difference in the music ( that's not due to the vinyls flaws) it's from the remastering of the CD. And the idea that digital ruins music means almost every vinyl album released in the last 30 years has been ruined. Anyone who thinks LPs are more accurate at reproducing the music lacks logic. Sounds better is a useless statement, and only means something to the person saying it.

I was a vinyl skeptic, still is. I did an ABX. Same material. On first trial I said the dust noise was an obvious give away. Next I tried a digitized copy with dust removal. The superiority of vinyl is undeniable, even for a disbeliever like me.

This can't be. The recording was digital, the mixing was digital, the mastering was digital. Same logic as DSD vs PCM - mixing is always done in PCM and DSD advantages, if there is any, would have been buried underneath.

But a vinyl cannot possibly be mastered in the same way as a CD. A CD can clip when you look at the waveform but when you listen it is not very noticeable (but not inaudible). A vinyl can never be mastered like that, the result has more dynamic range, even though technically it is the other way around. Plus, when you sell a vinyl you know your audience is likely an audiophile, so you master the cut accordingly. I would attribute this as the primary reason for vinyl's superiority.

At the end of the day I have 2 questions:
1) Are we listening to music or are we listening to sound equipment....?
2) If it sounds good it probably is!
and a comment:
I would rather listen to good music on a poor system than cr@p on a great system.
OK, so now I've stirred up a hornets nest....!
love from South Africa.
thesoundman

Jennifer G, your choices of material for listening are excellent. I now do not listen to Vinyl through a standard RIAA preamp as the result has weak treble and somewhat muddy bass.
I tuned my preamp for the same sonic balance using the A-B method with Rush, Fleetwood Mac and Dire Straits albums. The result takes on moving coil setups costing thousands
some of your other stuff like Jim Croce, I have only as 256k mp3.

Last edited:
peteleoni, it is really easy to spot the LP against a CD when a inexpensive cart and preamp are used. I could only get there by adjusting the RIAA curve a bit.
if you really want bad, the Cassette copies were really limited
I think it can be safely assumed that an old audio dog pro such as I would not be comparing or using cheap phono carts or preamps. Far from it.

It's easy to spot the CD because it sounds bad! It's not easy to spot vinyl on a good tt with a regulator and perimeter clamp. Surface noise yes but not when the music plays. Big difference with a DJ setup on springs and a heavy stable platter.

What I also meant about the CD bass is that it is there, but you cannot feel/hear it on most music. On the vinyl the bass is clear and distinctive with plenty of detail.

Bass especially contrasts with the rest of the sound instead of blending in the sound with CDs

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yeah, funny how this sort of distortion is loved without question

Attachments

• spectrum2.JPG
    spectrum2.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 190
Vinyl is gaining popularity especially since the spreading in the market of the now common "perfect sounding" sound re-shaper, feedback filter, OS, bit perfect DAC. Guess they all sound very sterile and have much more quantization and digital filtering errors than appears on paper. People who want music are just fed up of listening to the new chips, they are ok for feeding class D monsters.

But a vinyl cannot possibly be mastered in the same way as a CD. A CD can clip when you look at the waveform but when you listen it is not very noticeable (but not inaudible). A vinyl can never be mastered like that, the result has more dynamic range, even though technically it is the other way around. Plus, when you sell a vinyl you know your audience is likely an audiophile, so you master the cut accordingly. I would attribute this as the primary reason for vinyl's superiority.

This is it. Look no further for a rational explanation of the perceived differences in favour of vinyl.

So sad that the "loudness war" has often ended up flipping the technical dynamic range advantage of digital!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
. People who want music are just fed up of listening to the new chips, they are ok for feeding class D monsters.

People who want music are happy to listen to it on any format they want. It's the people on the fringe who want some odd magic that only their particular belief system will deliver.

Vinyl is flawed and innacurate
Vinyl can be fun

Consenting adults etc.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's been mentioned before in this thread, but the noise floor can help resolve detail. Tape hiss can do the same. As to the other "faults" of vinyl that are incorporated into the mastering, perhaps they also help of hear the music better - or fit our systems and rooms better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.