Hypex DSP module(s)

While debugging my issue in the setup with 2 DLCPs on one input board, I traced the signal path for aes/tos/spdif digital input.

On the input board, the digital input is routed to J2 digital input pins as referenced in the documentation. J2 input board is connected to J2 on DLCP1. The unfiltered digital input signal is routed back from DLCP1 to J2 digital output pins on J2 on the input board.

Back on the input board, J2 digital output pins are conected to J3 digital input pins. Note there is no separate TOS output link on J2 and J2 S/PDIF out is connected to both S/PDIF in and TOS in on J2B.

J2B is connected to DLCP2 (slave) on J2. And like with DLCP1, the digital inputs are passed through, looped back via the digital output pins to J2B digital output pins.

Back on the input board, the digital output signals are send to AES and S/PDIF outputs. Using the switches on the input board, you select if you want to connect with DLCP1 or DLCP2.

In my case I was able to confirm my issues were not related to the quality of the digital signal inputs of either DSP, as I could listen to the unfiltered inputs via the S/PDIF and AES outputs.

So the digital outputs are just the passed though digital signals, unfiltered and not influenced by volume control settings. Both the inputs and outputs on the input board are buffered.

It would be interesting to find out if you can connect an input board with the fusion amps. That way you get the pre-amp features you were looking for. If the fusion amps have both digital and analogue inputs, then that path should be possible.

The fusion amps have both digital and analog inputs. However, they are just the same way as the DLCP - the digital output does not have any connection to the analog inputs. So you cannot use one fusion amp for preamp, connecting both digital and analog to it, and then just run an AES cable to the other. What you can do, is run both a balanced analog cable, an AES cable and a coax control cable between them. Or you can run analog out from the DLCP into the Fusion amps analog inputs.

It would be a great add-on to the Hypex range to have a variation of the DLCP with the analog and digital inputs and AES outputs that can be run with both EQ and volume adjustments. The MiniDSP 4x10HD has the functionality I want, but it doesn't have the DLCPs quality on the analog inputs.

As I understand the DLCP architecture, a digital out after the dsp functions will require a redesign of the DLCP hardware, so I'm not holding my breath.

The suggestion is free for Hypex to use, though :)

Johan-Kr

So... I found a DLCP on the swap meet.

I have a bunch of Hypex UcD3xMP amps, and I'm thinking of making myself a multichannel amp, with a pair of UcD32MP modules for mids and tweets, and a pair of UcD400 modules for the bass.

I already have a similar amp, that I'm using with a Minidsp OpenDRC DA8.

Now the amplifier module of the UcD32MP has a pretty low input impedance of 1.8kohm. The Minidsp has no chance of driving this, so my existing amp has a buffer on the inputs.

The DLCP output impedance on the other hand is quite a bit lower at 100 ohm, so a factor of 18 makes me very tempted to try running without buffers... I

Any thoughts?

Johan-Kr

I'm aware of it. The amp I'm using now with the MiniDSP, I have made with buffers.

However, given a source with low enough impedance, it can be used without a buffer, and the results may be better. I have an old Dynamic Precision preamp with a beast of an output stage, and I've tried driving a UcD32MP module directly with very good results.

That's why I'm considering trying to drive it directly from the DLCP.

Johan-Kr

Not really.

100dB/W tweeter and 95dB mid. 88-90dB Woofer.

The concept works well already with 0dB gain buffers on UcD32MP for tweeter and mid, and UcD180 for woofers. The woofers need some extra gain margin, as I use a Linkwitz transform on them.

Johan-Kr

Please keep dB/2.83V sensitivity nomenclature for gain and SPL estimatons.

Considering LT sensitivity drop of 3-5 dB and another 3-5dB for keeping house curve with right SPL in relation to the tweeters you will need 20dB more voltage gain for the woofers...

Last edited:
Considering LT sensitivity drop of 3-5 dB and another 3-5dB for keeping house curve with right SPL in relation to the tweeters you will need 20dB more voltage gain for the woofers...
The UcD180/400 has a voltage gain of 26dB, while the UcD32MP has 12,5dB voltage gain.

I also use two woofers per side.

I've also run the UcD32s (with zero gain buffers) with Scanspeak R2604 tweeters and Seas ER18RNX mid woofers, and there's enough gain to reach well above my normal listening levels. In essence 12,5dB gain is enough, as long as I can manage a proper gain structure with the woofers

According to this page ( ESS AMT-1 AIR Motion Transformer 'Great Heil', Selected buy at hifisound.de ), that also links to measurements, the Heil has 100dB/2,83V at 4kHz. The sensitivity drops a bit to 95dB at 1kHz

The Mid sensitivity is at 2,83V

Johan-Kr

Last edited:
Hypex "waiting for dlcp" | check Jp5 jumper

I have been facing "waiting for dlcp" and "volume control not working" issues which practically has rendered dlcp useless, for me. Yesterday, I noticed that the jumper Jp5 on DLCP was set incorrectly to "write" mode, instead of normal mode. (Not by me!)

This could have happened by mistake in the factory, or it was changed by the retailer I bought this from.

Well, setting it right hasn't fixed the issue, but I just wanted to share that this could be one reason for some unexplained WTF behaviour, and it would be worthwhile to check the settings once, if you are facing issues with DLCP

Cheers

I have a layman question, please.

I have dlcp in aluminim chassis 1 with UCD amps in aluminium chassis 2.
I have connected signal ground of the UCD cables to pin 1 of each of the 6 XLR terminals, on both boxes.
I have also connected the pin-1s to chassis on each XLR socket, on both boxes.

Is this the recommended way? Or am I supposed to connect pin-1 to chassis, (on both dlcp box and amp box), for 1 cable only? For the rest, should I leave pin-1 to chassis disconnected at both ends?

The correct way to build these (and all other balanced equipment) is to have pin 1 connect to the chassis at the connector. Period.

If you have problems with this connection, then you have problems elsewhere that need to be sorted out.

The signal (audio) is being carried on pins 2 and 3. The ground connection is for reference of the system and not any audio. It is mostly there to protect you from RF and other EMI interference.

For furthur reading there is much on pin 1 problems on the interner, look for info from Neil Muncy or Jim Brown.

Cheers
Alan