Hps 5.1

ok, first thing.. this might not be correct. I hope it is :)

Second, zoom in using the interface (I believe you can save the fullsize images this way, if you'd like to stitch them together) and I made sure that each resistor value is readable. The only ones that might be hard are 0805 resistors that I made fit, but even those seem readable.

Still haven't found a lower profile 2-position connector (the larger ones are Molex KK) or populated the ground point between the two channels, so you'll notice this stuff is missing...

Picasa Web Albums - M - HPS

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Luvdunhill. PCB looks good , but some soldered joints should have been better made. Too much solder on some transistor legs may hide dry or cold joints.
Perhaps your solder wire is too thick.
One thing which confuses me is LMH 6321 first stage buffer. According to datasheet, max. voltage for this IC is +/- 15V. In HPS 5.1 it is used with+/- 22V.
Any explanation?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Why 1R gate resistors instead of 1uH gate inductors? If it will oscillate there its basically game over. Or that 1R0J on the SMD part is referring to inductance?

Attachments

• IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 405
Indeed, I think if I were to go back I'd suck the solder off each part afterwards to try and reduce the amount of solder. I'd agree it's perhaps a bit thick for those transistors, but suitable for the rest of the parts. It's amazing how much less solder you use with SMD compared to TH.

Indeed those parts are inductors. Here's the datasheet for the part I used:

http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-data/pdf/AGA0000/AGA0000CE24.pdf

Good question about the LMH6321. Perhaps the LT1010 is a better choice, or placing a zener between each supply pin on the LMH6321?

Reactions: 1 user
Good question about the LMH6321. Perhaps the LT1010 is a better choice, or placing a zener between each supply pin on the LMH6321?

Or changing R403, R412 to 680 Ohms?

P.S.
Or if you like to push it to the absolute maximum ratings you can leave R403, R412 at their original values for a calculated +/- 18 volts first stage supply

Last edited:
Never mind mount them straight I sure as hell can't solder the resistors on without trashing them in the process. So I've stopped the build for now.

What's the chance that some kind soul with the requisite soldering ability would be prepared to take on the fine task of soldering the resistors and SMT caps onto this board for me. I'm going to end up destroying this board if i try it myself.

Happy to pay for your time etc.

On start up there are some horrible transients on the outputs for about the first 20 seconds; after this some low level, low frequency oscillation still happens but it settles down.

Has anyone else experienced this, I wouldnt want it connected to the amp with this!

Attachments

• HPS5.1scope_l.png
    HPS5.1scope_l.png
    44 KB · Views: 381
  • HPS5.1scope_r.png
    HPS5.1scope_r.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 365