Hps 5.1

Ohhh, i had no idea there was a new version of it :) Thank you for telling me about it since the old one had stability problems so i might build the new one instead :D The board is smaller so cheaper and it looks like the head-amp has a completely new configuration.
Has anyone built both HPS5.1 and HPS6.1? How do they compare from a thermal stability point of view and sound wise?

I feel that it would be a good thing to discuss the merits of the 6.1 or .2 on its own thread if only to bring it to the attention of any potential builders. Like you, I would be interested in it’s sonic/engineering merits particularly as I currently use a HPS 5.1.

Ohhh, i had no idea there was a new version of it :) Thank you for telling me about it since the old one had stability problems so i might build the new one instead :D The board is smaller so cheaper and it looks like the head-amp has a completely new configuration.
Has anyone built both HPS5.1 and HPS6.1? How do they compare from a thermal stability point of view and sound wise?

HPS 6.1 is as demanding (thermal wise) as HPS 5.1, HPS 6.2 runs perfectly cool (and it doesn't use the LMH6321). Can also be battery powered, further reducing the BOM.

The decision which to build should be based on the tooling and soldering skills you have. Soldering the TI low noise regulators in DFN is rather difficult without a good hot air soldering tool (or a reflow oven). Those chips are also not in particular cheap, so there's not much room for trial and error.

For those shy of soldering DFN chips, there's a version using LM317/LM337 regulators (also SMD, but easy to solder) in the same thread. Due to the very large PSRR of the HPS 6.x architecture, these have no impact on the measured performance. Such regulators required extra low noise power buffers in HPS 5.1.

It happens all the time, I have half dozen of other such occurrences. At least he cited previous work, others, including some esteemed members here, did not.

BTW, I would no longer build HPS 5.1 today, the 6.x series are vastly superior in PSRR and power consumption. Haven't updated my web site in a very long time, there's only so much time available... HPS 6.x (MC version and an instrumentation x1000 gain version) are on this site only, with Gerbers, results, etc... https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/hps-6-1.333000/