How to - Distortion Measurements with REW

wow i have been wondering to buy signal generator and osciloscope, but it think this threas just saved my wallet. i need to buy those big power resistor for testing

anyway, i have Tascam US-322 which seems have basic requirement to do this. anyone ever used this tascam? any good result?

anyway, i have Tascam US-322 which seems have basic requirement to do this.
Do the loopback (Left output sine, right input) "self-test" and report the measurement result (spectrum with harmonic analysis) here.

I have the US 122 and it's too dirty for the best amplifiers. For ordinary tube amplifiers and speakers, its self distortion is still waay below what you'd likely measure. I can only imagine the 322 has advanced some in this regard.

Do the loopback (Left output sine, right input) "self-test" and report the measurement result (spectrum with harmonic analysis) here.

I have the US 122 and it's too dirty for the best amplifiers. For ordinary tube amplifiers and speakers, its self distortion is still waay below what you'd likely measure. I can only imagine the 322 has advanced some in this regard.
hmm bad news, i bought this tascam 2nd hand item for behringer ecm8000 then switch into umik-1. never used this tascam & ecm combo anymore

anyway i will try it later, just ordered 100W dummy load resistor 4 & 8 ohm and find out how this test work.

Working with REW using the following:-
  • Focusrite Scarlett Solo
  • FiiO M7 Audio Media Player
  • Mini-itx computer with Linux
  • 1khz file copied from Audacity to the M7. The FiiO fixed line output is 2v p-p
Photos attached. Next will be working on DIY 1khz generator

Attachments

• solo1.png
    solo1.png
    373.9 KB · Views: 205
  • FiioM7.png
    FiioM7.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 202
Working with REW using the following:-
  • Focusrite Scarlett Solo
  • FiiO M7 Audio Media Player
  • Mini-itx computer with Linux
Q1: What can be done about the strong 3rd harmonic from a Wien/Lamp 1khz oscillator. I was thinking about using 1/2 LM4562 as some kind of filter.
Q2: What connections are needed to loopback the SOLO for calibration.

Attachments

• SOLO-Wien-Lamp1.png
    SOLO-Wien-Lamp1.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 105
Have you tried the REW generator? It's very good. I have an Akitika 1KHz generator but hardly ever use it. I have the Scarlett Solo too. Just be sure to calibrate the REW generator before using. I use a 60 Hz sine wave for calibration since that's the most accurate frequency for my DMM.
The Akitika seems to be the best but I am working on an interesting DIY 1Khz. That is why I ask questions here.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I am currently measuring both a Victor and an Akitika 1 kHz oscillator using REW and a COSMOS APU 1kHz notch with the a calibration file applied in REW under microphone calibrations. I am reading -110dB for a 2nd harmonic with +6dB switch engaged and -104dB with 0dB switch engaged. BTW, I'm using a Focusrite Solo for my ADC. I thought with the compensation file, that REW would read direct. However if I subtract the 30dB of the notch from the reading, I get something closer to what it should be reading. Any ideas what checkbox I've left unchecked?

Last edited:
Here's a screen grab of a Nad 3020's distortion at full power before recap. Feeding a Motu M2 via Autoranger outputting 500mv and victors Oscillator. Seems pretty close to spec still. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Nad 3020 not recapped rew distortion.png
    Nad 3020 not recapped rew distortion.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Nad 3020 specs.png
    Nad 3020 specs.png
    233.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited by a moderator:
hi, need some help
what kind of windowing should be used to get closer to real THD+n distortion numbers?

depending on windowing i get ~123dB THD+N (Blackman-Harris 7; oh wow great... but probably not true :) ) or ~113dB (Hann). probably the latter value is the real one (or closer to).

my setup is SMSL Su-9n + Cosmos ADC in MONO
Cosmos ADC set @4.7Vrms input; input impedance 1.7kOhm (Hot - GND); SMSL output voltage 3.15Vrms between Hot-Cold pin

Attachments

• 1kHz 256k B-H7.png
    1kHz 256k B-H7.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 1kHz 512k B-H7 COH-AV.png
    1kHz 512k B-H7 COH-AV.png
    64 KB · Views: 82
  • pomiary SMSL testy kabli.mdat
    3.2 MB · Views: 53
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I always use BH7. Just take note of the settings - and a good way is to show the settings dialog box on your screenshots so we know how much averaging, etc. The SU-9n is one of the best DACs out there and should probably best your ADC. You should also use a very low distortion 1kHz oscillator like Viktor’s source. -123dB is not unreasonable from SU-9n.

I have started to show this dialog on the upper right of my FFTs.

1667998183245.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user