How to - Distortion Measurements with REW

The 'stepped sine' measurement within RTA has two options - you had the 'Step frequency' option selected within the 'Stepped Sine Measurement' settings pop-up box. I suggest you choose the 'Step level' option. That will then generate a plot to identify how HD % changes with level (at just one test frequency such as 1kHz), and when clipping occurs in your DUT.

Ryssen, looks to me like you have a ground loop or earthing issue. What does the soundcard look like noise wise with nothing connected to the mic / line input. Some soundcards do not work well with a basic loopback test.
Without any input I get a nice straight "curve".
No input.jpg

But when I insert the input jack the 50 and 150hz are back......And they wont go away even if I ground the input..

Last edited:
When someone says "It looks like 16 bit Java asio drivers limitation", I dont understand; what else is there?
There's a typo in the quote (asio shouldn't be in there), but the intent is correct. On Windows the JavaSound implementation, which is used when REW's "Java" drivers option is selected, is limited to stereo data at 16-bit resolution. I don't know how that came about, since JavaSound implementations on macOS and Linux are much more complete. Besides the 16-bit limitation Windows also uses a very short dither sequence for the data, which makes things even worse than 16-bit data should be. The solution is to switch to an ASIO driver, either the native ASIO driver for the interface or, if there aren't any native drivers or the input and output devices are different, an ASIO wrapper like FlexASIO.

Hi all, I just want to share the results of a Motu M4 (close loop), a Motu M4 with a Akitika 1KHz sine wave generator and Analog Discovery 2

Motu M4 - Close loop, THD 0.00030% and THD+N 0.00092%
Motu M4 and Akitika - THD is 0.00028% and the THD+N is 0.00073%
Analog Discovery2 and Akitika - THD is 0.0161% and the THD+N is 0.02823%

Attachments

• motu.jpg
    motu.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 142
  • akitika.jpg
    akitika.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 133
  • Captura de Pantalla 2022-05-31 a la(s) 10.33.13.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2022-05-31 a la(s) 10.33.13.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
The 'difficulty' with such plots is knowing how much harmonic distortion relates to the signal generator, compared to the signal ADC end. If the HDs are sufficiently above the noise floor, then it can be worthwhile adding in a - 20dB attenuator and checking if HD % stays the same. Another technique is to insert a notch. That type of testing may allow a better level of confidence, if the aim is to use your equipment for making measurements where distortions are down at the measurement equipment level.