Hornresp

Hornresp Update 5440-221111

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE

Results can no longer be calculated with the Ctrl key depressed (Booger weldz to particularly note).

BUG FIX 1

The "Frequency (hertz)" x-axis label was missing from the Driver Electrical Input Power chart in the Band Pass Enclosure Loudspeaker Wizard, as shown in Attachment 1. This has now been fixed, as shown in Attachment 2.

BUG FIX 2

When the Loudspeaker Wizard area slider control for an H-frame or a U-frame system was adjusted and the results saved back to the main input parameters window, the S2 value was not being updated as shown in Attachments 3 and 4. This has now been fixed.

BUG FIX 3

In the Loudspeaker Wizard Schematic Diagram for a stubbed horn, acoustical lining material in the rear chamber had display precedence over absorbent filling material in the stub, as shown in Attachment 5. This display precedence has now been reversed, as shown in Attachment 6.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Attach_5.png
    Attach_5.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Attach_6.png
    Attach_6.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: 2 users
It is not clear to me what you mean. Can you please provide further information.
For example, when viewing driver excursion...If we could force a neutral FR, the excursion would show itself, in a useful way. When in "neutral mode" FR is always a 0 transfer function allowing one another view of excursion and surrounding details like port velocity, etc.... many people are designing towards a 0 transfer function, so this feature helps to judge efficiency/headroom

I see there have been posts referring to use of stubs I should study first.
The attachments below should hopefully help you to fast-track the study requirements :).

Attachments

• Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    13 KB · Views: 105
  • Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    16 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
The attachments below should hopefully help you to fast-track the study requirements :).
Thankyou David, sure did cut down the learning curve. It looks like the absorber chamber does smooth the midrange nicely but the bass still has a dip I wasn't able to fill. When I compare to the standard offset horn, overall I think it looks better. An offset backloaded horn with an absorber chamber might be a good option if that were possible.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 9.14.45 pm.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 9.14.45 pm.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 6.30.19 pm.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 6.30.19 pm.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: 1 user

Thankyou David, sure did cut down the learning curve. It looks like the absorber chamber does smooth the midrange nicely but the bass still has a dip I wasn't able to fill. When I compare to the standard offset horn, overall I think it looks better. An offset backloaded horn with an absorber chamber might be a good option if that were possible.
Is there any explanation for the dip and peak below 100hz in the stubbed horn model output? I can achieve a rolled of smooth response by increasing the coupling volume (increases length) but that would be impractical--I think. I tried masking/unmasking throat resonances as well. Thanks for any feedback. Datafile attached.

Attachments

• ff125_DrK_blh.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 50
Hornresp Update 5440-221119

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE

Previously the three TL Design tool methods were accessed in the following order:

BS 2022
MK 2006
MK 2021 (Alignments A, B and C)

1. This order has now been changed so that the method striking the best overall balance between cabinet size and performance is placed first.
2. MK 2006 and MK 2021 have been renamed as MJK 2006 and MJK 2021 respectively.
3. Method MJK 2021 in effect supersedes MJK 2006.

The new order is:

MJK 2021 (Alignments A, B and C)
MJK 2006
BS 2022

BUG FIX

The results produced by the TL Design tool were in some cases slightly inaccurate. This problem has now been fixed and all results are now correct.

Kind regards,

David

Reactions: 3 users
Is there any explanation for the dip and peak below 100hz in the stubbed horn model output?

The main reason is because the horn mouth is so small, causing significant reflections due to the acoustical impedance mismatch at the mouth.
You may possibly be better served by using a tapered transmission line design instead.

Reactions: 2 users