Hornresp

PH1 Paraflex Horn Model Validation

The results for a PH1 horn and its TH equivalent are effectively identical, confirming that the PH1 model is working correctly.

Attachments

• Test 1 - PH1.png
    Test 1 - PH1.png
    53 KB · Views: 194
  • Test 1 - TH.png
    Test 1 - TH.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Test 1 - PH1 Response.png
    Test 1 - PH1 Response.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Test 1 - TH Response.png
    Test 1 - TH Response.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 169
... Do you have a version that works on a mac? ...

As David said, it's a windows programm. But there are several ways to run it on a MAC.

- like mentioned above, you could use something using WINE.
- with bootcamp on Intel MACs, you could install a Windows in parallel to Mac OS
- You could install something like vmware fusion, paralllels or virtualbox (the later one being free) and install a windows and then run hornresp on it... A windows 7 licence can be bought for a few bucks from ebay. Reactos is free and runs windows programms, I once did a "windows free box" with hornresp and other simulation programms under reactos. Its footprint is very small, so a virtual machine in virtualbox with reactos takes up very little space and ressources.

How should this arrangement's throat be specified for a throat vented horn?

Hi David

is the case of the new Klipsch Jubilee, there's a baffle board with 15 inch woofer and 3 duct ports "below" that woofer that fire into a flat panel then the expansion starts.

Knowing driver area, port area, baffle height, baffle width, and cross sectional details for the front horn, what area figure does one use for the throat?

Attachments

• HOW TO DEFINE THROAT AREA OF DIAMOND JUBILEE FOR HORNRESP 900W.jpg
    HOW TO DEFINE THROAT AREA OF DIAMOND JUBILEE FOR HORNRESP 900W.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 176
Hi David

is the case of the new Klipsch Jubilee, there's a baffle board with 15 inch woofer and 3 duct ports "below" that woofer that fire into a flat panel then the expansion starts.

Knowing driver area, port area, baffle height, baffle width, and cross sectional details for the front horn, what area figure does one use for the throat?

I very successfully modeled this for Volti Audio when I designed his LaScala variant. Hornresp modeled it very effectively. Sometimes as a direct overlay.

what area figure does one use for the throat?

Hi Freddy,

Having only segments 3 and 4 to play with, probably the best that you could do would be to set:

S3 (throat area) = mounting baffle height * mounting baffle width
S4 = 2 * angled width across duct at first bend * mounting baffle height
S5 = 2 * duct width at mouth * mounting baffle height

L34 = best estimate of axial length from S3 to S4
L45 = best estimate of axial length from S4 to S5

The horn would then have the general form shown in Attachment 2 (not to scale).

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I very successfully modeled this for Volti Audio when I designed his LaScala variant. Hornresp modeled it very effectively. Sometimes as a direct overlay.

I missed the part to make this sensible.

When we measured the design many times the measurements and the overlays were nearly identical. When there were great differences it turned out that what was built was different from what was simulated. To mimmic the bifuricated design I would design a horn with the appropriate mouth area of one half of the enclosure. I modeled them together using the tools button then multiple speakers. There will be a difference in impedance and therefore SPL due to the choices of series or parallel for the driver impedance. But the overall response will be faithful