Hornresp

Maybe bug report

All looks fine when computing output from the main screen. However, the power in the wizard looks very strange. Maybe I am using Hornresp wrong?

The record is made from an older version of Hornresp.

Attachments

• parabolic.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 37
  • hornresp-power.png
    hornresp-power.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 163
  • hornresp-wizard.png
    hornresp-wizard.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 163
If Vrc & Lrc is a cylinder cross section, then how does Vrc = 33.56L and Lrc = 20.32 cm equal S1 = 1651.61, S2 = 1651.61, and L12 = 20.32cm

Hi BP1Fanatic,

Not sure I understand the problem :).

Cylinder cross-sectional area = Vrc / Lrc = 33.56 * 1000 / 20.32 = 1651.57 cm^2 (rounded to 2 decimal places).

If S1 = 1651.57 cm^2, S2 = 1651.57 cm^2 and L12 = 20.32 cm, the volume of the segment is 1651.57 * 20.32 / 1000 = 33 .56 litres, the same as for Vrc, as expected.

Am I missing something here?

Stay safe,

David

All looks fine when computing output from the main screen. However, the power in the wizard looks very strange.

Hi Mårten,

My reply to 'Booger weldz' in Post #10655 applies to your case also :).

You have specified a stepped segment design, as shown in Attachment 1.
In the main calculation it is simulated as shown in Attachment 2.
In the Loudspeaker Wizard it is simulated as shown in Attachment 3.

Not that it affects the results, but the thing I don't understand is how you managed to end up with more than two decimal places for the exported segment area and length values, as shown in Attachment 4.

Stay safe,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 46
When simulating an offset driver horn is there a way of the driver entry point specified by AP1 and LP to have a flare?

Hi kipman725,

Not without adding a new input parameter to specify the cross-sectional area at the outlet end of the port tube. This would require changes to so many parts of the program that it is simply not a practical option.

(A throat adaptor on a standard Nd design can be flared because S1 becomes the outlet area).

Stay safe,

David

Hi Mårten,

My reply to 'Booger weldz' in Post #10655 applies to your case also :).

Thanks David!

I suggest that you either remove the wizard for stepped simulations, or limit the functionality to allow everything except changing areas.

Not that it affects the results, but the thing I don't understand is how you managed to end up with more than two decimal places for the exported segment area and length values, as shown in Attachment 4.
David
This is because I am generating the hornresp record from my cad software. I attached a screenshot :)

Attachments

• freecad-parabolic.png
    freecad-parabolic.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 168
All I did was switch from Ap1 to Ap.

Yes, but I still don't understand what you mean by "switch from round to square" :).

I was trying to model a BR, but HR wouldn't let switch the function.

That's because Ap1 refers to either a throat adaptor in the case of a normal horn, or a throat port in the case of an offset driver horn. It is not applicable to a standard bass reflex system, where Ap is used instead.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    63 KB · Views: 134
I suggest that you either remove the wizard for stepped simulations, or limit the functionality to allow everything except changing areas.

That's unlikely to happen. Too much work went into implementing the functionality in the first place, to now throw it all away :).

This is because I am generating the hornresp record from my cad software.

Ah, now I understand. Mystery solved. Thanks.

What I really want simulate is filling in section 1.

In that case, I suggest you approximate the stepped segment system with an unstepped system. Make the unstepped radius at S2 equal to the average of the two stepped radii at S2, and the unstepped radius at S3 equal to the average of the two stepped radii at S3. This means that S2 then becomes 1342.40 cm^2 and S3 becomes 2386.24 cm^2.

Can I reduce the resonances at 66 Hz and 99 Hz?

Yes, but including the absorbent filling material in segment 2 rather than in segment 1, will have a more pronounced effect.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    57 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
In that case, I suggest you approximate the stepped segment system with an unstepped system. Make the unstepped radius at S2 equal to the average of the two stepped radii at S2, and the unstepped radius at S3 equal to the average of the two stepped radii at S3. This means that S2 then becomes 1342.40 cm^2 and S3 becomes 2386.24 cm^2.

Yes, but including the absorbent filling material in segment 2 rather than in segment 1, will have a more pronounced effect.

Thanks David!

Of course the filling should go into section 2.

It's because you have specified stepped segments. When the Loudspeaker Wizard is used with the stepped segments option selected, all the segments will be cylindrical apart from the last one, regardless of the profile specified. This limitation is necessary to avoid having to increase the number of area sliders in the wizard. In your case, the last segment is also cylindrical because you have the S4 slider set to Auto.

...... or limit the functionality to allow everything except changing areas.

That's unlikely to happen. Too much work went into implementing the functionality in the first place, to now throw it all away :).

My other suggestion maybe? If the reason for not simulating stepped segments is the number of sliders, you can disable the area sliders if the simulation is stepped.