Hornresp

Thanks Brian, it works just fine for me now.

I exported the data file successfully, but it seems that it is still in the original ID=48.20 format, with absorbent filling material and filter parameters included.

That's because I don't have a new version of Hornresp to test the new format :).

I'll release another version today that allows some flexibility in the format of the export file, which could be useful for testing purposes.

Ok, I've uploaded a new version of the workbook. This version includes the option to choose the format of the Hornresp file.

Attachments

• 2019-08-16.png
    2019-08-16.png
    121.9 KB · Views: 169
Using the latest sheet for 6bps Excel 2003 32bit Which by the way is a *.xlsm and not a *.xls.(strange that posted thumbnails on this thread show *.xls file) I am able to run the sheet using latest version of open office Calc,Now this is 32bit ONLY software. Manual printing out of the hornresp parameters is possible then manual typing into hornresp. As of course despite removing all accsess restrictions from hornresp directory and its subdirs the direct export function is non-operational.
SO it would seem if Brian is willing to relese 32bit excell 2003 versions of his sheets this might provide a way forward for users not willing to fork out for microsoft Excell.

Ok, I've uploaded a new version of the workbook. This version includes the option to choose the format of the Hornresp file.

Thanks Brian.

Boxplan-bp6s.xls and boxplan-bp6p.xls both work perfectly with the proposed new release of Hornresp when the BOXPLAN export format option is selected. If you want to simplify things, you could perhaps remove the 48.20 export format option from your workbooks. While the file can be exported to Hornresp it cannot be used to update the wizard, which limits its usefulness, and could potentially cause confusion among users. Also, you could perhaps just save all your BOXPLAN workbooks as .xls rather than .xlsm or.xlsx files to overcome the compatibility issues. All versions of Excel should be able to open .xls files.

The next Hornresp update (a relatively large one) is not that far away now... :).

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Thanks David i got it. I hope there is a way forward with the spreadsheet issue as new excel is not cheap nor as far as I know available from shops anymore (I dont trust online use of my cards too much fraud ! ) Open source spreadsheets are only partally compatible but there is more chance of compatibility if newer excel features are not used.I dont know how much work is involved for brian to convert to 32bit +*.xls but I feel it would allow for a massive user base,As the project as is has Huge potential for the diy constructor.

Current Excel (Non 365) Available

Thanks David i got it. I hope there is a way forward with the spreadsheet issue as new excel is not cheap nor as far as I know available from shops anymore (I dont trust online use of my cards too much fraud ! ) Open source spreadsheets are only partally compatible but there is more chance of compatibility if newer excel features are not used.I dont know how much work is involved for brian to convert to 32bit +*.xls but I feel it would allow for a massive user base,As the project as is has Huge potential for the diy constructor.

Set-up and use a PayPal account to insolate your credit/debit card from errant on-line vendors.

Current and reliable versions of Excel can be purchased on line for less than $50 USD.

Purchases on eBay are protected from fraud. This experience is based on a heavy purchasing activity there by me for many years.

Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Excel come bundled together as either stand-alone or as part of Office.

As Microsoft is about to abandon support of Win/7, recommend upgrade to Win/10 as well. WHG

Last edited:
RE>Whgieger.I have thought about a paypal acct.I did about 12 yrs ago set up internet banking then moved home (no internet for three yrs so forgot passwd) Then tried buy something online relised i forgot pwd so aborted purchase.Next day seven credit and bank cards cancelled !!!!! as a security precaution.300 miles to nearest bank branch.(At that time NO landline OR mobile coverage)
PUT ME OFF FOR LIFE.

Last edited:
RE>Whgieger.I have thought about a paypal acct.I did about 12 yrs ago set up internet banking then moved home (no internet for three yrs so forgot passwd) Then tried buy something online relised i forgot pwd so aborted purchase.Next day seven credit and bank cards cancelled !!!!! as a security precaution.300 miles to nearest bank branch.(At that time NO landline OR mobile coverage)
PUT ME OFF FOR LIFE.

Hornresp Update 5040-190818

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE 1

The BP5, BP7 and BP9 band pass enclosure options have been renamed as follows:

BP7 is now BPA (Type A band pass enclosure)
BP5 is now BPB (Type B band pass enclosure)
BP9 is now BPC (Type C band pass enclosure)

Existing BP5, BP7 and BP9 records will be automatically updated to the new designations. Attachment 1 refers.

CHANGE 2

The name of the Driver Arrangement Tool has been changed to Loudspeaker Configuration tool, to more accurately describe its current functionality. Attachment 2 refers.

CHANGE 3

The band pass loudspeaker wizard now shows passive radiator diaphragm displacement, rather than particle velocity at the surface of the PR diaphragm. Attachment 3 refers.

CHANGE 4

Phase and group delay charts have been added to the band pass loudspeaker wizard. Attachment 4 refers.

(Press the Ctrl key and double-click anywhere on the group delay chart to switch to the group delay per period chart. Press the Ctrl key and double-click anywhere on the group delay per period chart to switch back to the group delay chart.)

CHANGE 5

The fundamental resonance green marker line, when activated, is now also shown on the loudspeaker wizard phase response, group delay and group delay per period charts. Attachment 5 refers.

CHANGE 6

The simulation models for an unbaffled direct radiator, a direct radiator in a flat open baffle, and a H-Frame or U-frame open baffle loudspeaker, have been significantly improved. The acoustic path length is also now calculated automatically. Attachment 6 refers.

My sincere thanks to 'bolserst' for making his "acoustic centre" model available for use in Hornresp, and for his very valuable advice and assistance during the development of the enhanced Hornresp dipole models.

CHANGE 7

Advanced driver parameters recently added to the data files exported from BOXPLAN loudspeaker workbooks are now taken into account. Attachment 7 refers.

CHANGE 8

Data exported from the BOXPLAN band pass loudspeaker workbooks can now be imported into the band pass loudspeaker wizard. Attachment 8 refers.

FEEDBACK REQUEST

A significant number of coding changes have been made in this update. Could you please report any bugs.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_8.png
    Attach_8.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Attach_7.png
    Attach_7.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Attach_6.png
    Attach_6.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Attach_5.png
    Attach_5.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 202
  • Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 223
  • Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 216
Exceptional Experiance

PUT ME OFF FOR LIFE.

Under the conditions you describe, its no wonder the outcome. The protocols for conduct of financial transactions on the Internet are well known to all that do business there on a regular basis. Google, Amazon and other like organization such as eBay, PayPal are there to help you, all you have to do is ask, when you need help. Your experience is certainly the exception, not the rule. WHG

CHANGE 8

Data exported from the BOXPLAN band pass loudspeaker workbooks can now be imported into the band pass loudspeaker wizard. Attachment 8 refers.

I've checked this out and it seems to be working fine, not only with the bandpass workbooks, but with the slot-vent workbook that I recently updated.

BTW, I had a closer look at how Hornresp manages data in the main database and in the driver database. The driver database consists of separate text files for each driver, and the main database looks like a basically a single file with a fixed-length text record for each sim. This means that, no matter what sim is being looked at, when it's saved the data representing that sim has to be exactly the same length each time it's saved, and increasing the length of each record is probably a bit difficult to do.

I'd like to suggest moving to a more structured format for the main database which will provide a lot more flexibility (and minimize the risk of losing the whole database if part of it gets corrupted). My favourite at the moment is the INI format. While here are other formats (XML seems to be the flavour of the day), but the INI format, while old, results in easily readable files, the routines for managing them are built into Windows, and the format likely will continue to be supported by Windows for a long time to come. In VBasic, the built-in Windows functions GetPrivateProfileString() and WritePrivateProfileString() routines can be used to read and write data to the files and should significantly simplify the data management process.

For example, a data file for a tapped horn could be stored (using WritePrivateProfileString()) like the following:

[default]
Ang=2 x Pi
Eg=2.80
Rg=0.00
Fta=0.81
Type=TH
Comments=Brian's Folly?

[section 1]
StartCSA=68.00
EndCSA=180.91
Length=71.10
Expansion=Parabolic
Damping1=30
Damping2=100

[section 2]
StartCSA=180.91
EndCSA=888.05
Length=445.30
Expansion=Parabolic
Damping1=30
Damping2=100

[section 3]
StartCSA=888.05
EndCSA=1000
Length=70.50
Expansion=Parabolic
Damping1=30
Damping2=100

etc.

...and these can be retrieved using the GetPrivateProfileString() function, e.g. to retrieve the value for "S1", the function would be used as follows:

RetVal = GetPrivateProfileSection("section 1", StartCSA, "255", <configuration file name>)
S1 = StartCSA

What to do with the old database? That's easy - have Hornresp look for it during startup, and if it finds it, convert it to the new format :).

Note: this does "open the door" a bit to having Hornresp include more sections in the sim, as now at least the database structure will no longer be a limiting factor - in the INI file, you can define many sections :)

Anyway, if you're interested, I might be able to help with the coding (I have a week of vacation left, which I'm currently using to update the BOXPLAN workbooks). If not, just ignore this message... :)

Hi Brian,

I've checked this out and it seems to be working fine, not only with the bandpass workbooks, but with the slot-vent workbook that I recently updated.

Excellent :).

The driver database consists of separate text files for each driver, and the main database looks like a basically a single file with a fixed-length text record for each sim.

The driver database is made up of individual sequential access plain text files. The Hornresp.dat data file is a random access file, which has significant advantages in accessing and dealing with records. Neither file type is going to change :).

I'd like to suggest moving to a more structured format for the main database which will provide a lot more flexibility (and minimize the risk of losing the whole database if part of it gets corrupted).

I have found the Hornresp.dat data file to be totally robust, and have yet to experience a file corruption in all the years that I have been using it. I crash out of the program on a regular basis when testing things, but the file always survives intact. There were some issues at one stage with filter data not being saved correctly (seemingly an intermittent occurrence) but I eventually identified a very well-disguised arcane bug that when fixed, resolved all the problems.

Anyway, if you're interested

Not in the slightest, but thanks for your offer of help, if I had been :).

Kind regards,

David