Horn for Radian 950

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried stereolab horns? How they compare to autotech’s jmlc? Seems like they are made of something like synthetic stone... As I understood these are tractrix horns, but i cant understand how they are able to have lower frequency with much smaller size than autotech tractrix

They dont have as much rollback as the autotech horns, which shaves off a little i guess.
If you compare the autotech 200T and stereolab 190hz, they seem to be about the same size though.

As for the quality, i only have Autotech horns, but they are well made and really thick walled, so i wouldn't worry about any resonances.

Attachments

• DSCN6426.jpg
    DSCN6426.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 415
as for the Radian 475be beryllium mentioned earlier, it sounds pretty good, but at least in a tractrix 1000 horn, it doesn't really play above 10Khz without a lot of eq.

the build quality is pretty bad though, so if you ever decide to change the membrane for a beryllium one, you better be prepared for hours of RTA measurements trying to get the membrane and back lid aligned and tightened perfectly.

Yes, the radian475be is very good on tractrix 1000 as well, however I choose the 1400jmlc to be the best combo but I still wouldn't use 475be or tad 2001 over 10k. There are much better solutions incorporating a real tweeter solution like tad et703 or fostex t500amkII, and it is not so hard to add and blend...

The rollback is good, and it helps, autotech horns are also using different minerals and are dampened quite well...

The tad2001 sound surprisingly good up to 20Khz with the proper EQ, but having heard it paired with a t500mkII, the difference becomes apparent quite fast.

i ordered a pair of t500mkII back in january, but it seems fostex has difficulties getting the supplies to make them these days.

Yes, that is what I have written before too. They respond (both 475be and 2001) and measure (spl) quite good to 20khz especially with proper eq, but when you listen with the t500amkII, there is no turning back from that!
You hear more details, with less harshness and it translates to better depth and longer enjoyment without fatigue.

if you are doing active crossover i would try 550, 600, 650 and so on, and see what you prefer.

i personally cross at 400hz between the AE td12 woofers and tractrix 200 horn (with a B&C DM50)
i tried crossing over higher but i prefer the lower XO due to the increased clarity and physicality, even though the woofers play just fine on the same frequency (just a bit more diffuse and soft)

(note: i use audiolense, so getting a good XO is easy peasy. if you are using a different method, the crossover frequency might be dictated by what is easiest to achieve with what you got)

if you are doing active crossover i would try 550, 600, 650 and so on, and see what you prefer.

i personally cross at 400hz between the AE td12 woofers and tractrix 200 horn (with a B&C DM50)
i tried crossing over higher but i prefer the lower XO due to the increased clarity and physicality, even though the woofers play just fine on the same frequency (just a bit more diffuse and soft)

(note: i use audiolense, so getting a good XO is easy peasy. if you are using a different method, the crossover frequency might be dictated by what is easiest to achieve with what you got)
I will use passive crossover, I don’t have 6- chanel amp for dsp configuration
I just afraid to destroy membrane with 600hz @12db crossover
Manufacturer recommended maximum cutoff at 500hz @24db

Last edited:
well, in that case 600hz might be pushing it a bit.

i have added a picture of a 500hz lr24 curve and a 800hz lr12 curve.
i dont know how much of a beating the radian can take, so it might be fine, might not. i dont have much experience with lr12 crossovers that low to be honest. :eek:

if you are worried, i would start out at 1000hz, as that would hit -30db at the same spot as the 500hz lr24 curve, then work your way down after listening to it for a while.

or just go the extra steps and make a passive 550 or 600hz lr24 XO :cool:

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2018-05-15 kl. 23.02.44.png
    Skjermbilde 2018-05-15 kl. 23.02.44.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 592
i personally cross at 400hz between the AE td12 woofers and tractrix 200 horn (with a B&C DM50) i tried crossing over higher but i prefer the lower XO due to the increased clarity and physicality, even though the woofers play just fine on the same frequency (just a bit more diffuse and soft)

How do you like the DCM50? have you compared it to other big 4" VC like Radian 950 or Faital hmf200 ?

I want to buy the Celestion AXI2050 but can't find it as it's OEM only. the DCM50 is my close 2nd choice...

Will be replacing Radian 760Neo on JMLC 340hz horn (azurahorn) the Radian is limit 580hz @ 24db and some active EQ but would like to cut lower, like to 350-450hz. Dual Fane 15XS 15" sealed bass bin takes charges of lower frequency.

Using Beyma CP22 at 6khz. Tried few Fostex bullet tweeter and their sound signature wasn't for me... But I haven't heard the T500.

Lean business Audio, they are very expensive they sell the BC de1000 at 499 pound each (USD674) USspeaker sell the same BC de1000 for USD445.

wonder if their 499 pound each for tha axi2050 (usd674) is competitive. but they are the only one that seem to supply it...

Thanks

How do you like the DCM50?
have you compared it to other big 4" VC like Radian 950 or Faital hmf200 ?

I want to buy the Celestion AXI2050 but can't find it as it's OEM only.
the DCM50 is my close 2nd choice...

Will be replacing Radian 760Neo on JMLC 340hz horn (azurahorn)
the Radian is limit 580hz @ 24db and some active EQ but would like to cut lower, like to 350-450hz.
Dual Fane 15XS 15" sealed bass bin takes charges of lower frequency.

Using Beyma CP22 at 6khz.
Tried few Fostex bullet tweeter and their sound signature wasn't for me...
But I haven't heard the T500.

i haven't personally tried another driver, but the guy who originally built this speaker (i think his username here is superlian) preferred the dcm50 to the jbl 2446 with truextent BE in this horn. (playing from 400hz up to 2800hz)
i guess it might be mostly because of the ability to cross over lower.

The Celestion AXI2050 is an interesting driver, so i really want to try it out once it becomes available :)

not sure if i would try to play that low on a 340hz horn though.
isn't the golden rule with horns to cross over an octave above the lowest cutoff point for optimal performance?

I will use passive crossover, I don’t have 6- chanel amp for dsp configuration
I just afraid to destroy membrane with 600hz @12db crossover
Manufacturer recommended maximum cutoff at 500hz @24db

At home, you wont be able to destroy the membrane with 600hz @12db crossover

I have pushed much further than that with no problems, however if you are going to push them with very high volume and for a long uninterrupted time, then you may have a problem (still I dont think much with 600hz 12db)

Good day
How low can i cross radian 950 in jmlc 350 horn? (With two options - lr 2 order and 4 order)
I’m going to use it with tube amp approximately 12 watts of power
Will 600hz be an issue for this horn/driver?
I have read that some people even used radian down to 300hz@2 order with low power amplifier
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I have to choose hf driver to use over radian My list of candidates:
Bms 4540
Radian 465
B&c de10
Beyma cp21

Bms 4540 I can buy used really cheap in my country But I have heard many opinions that it is fully unusable before modifications Beyma cp21 is using by kartogen audio and I can buy it in my country too, as there is official dealer of beyma Others is difficult to get because I need to order them from USA and shipping will cost half of their price What do you think about these drivers? Or maybe there are better options Thanks in advance

I would suggest Faital pro HF10AK combined to STH100 horn also from Faital pro. If you can get 18Sound XT120 horn it would be little better combination

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.