Hiraga "Le Monstre"

Jean Hiraga Build

I built the amp that Sachu888 profiled. Nice PCBs and the case came together well, all fitted very easily.
I added additional capacitors to each rail. 1 * 33000uF, 5 * 1000uF and 5 * 470uF as was suggested.
I also put a voltmeter on each rail and extended power supply LEDs to front as a bit of bling.
I am running it at 15VDC.
It runs really cool, only a couple of degrees above ambient.
Sound quality is brilliant. I am delighted with the build.
Fantastic effort from those that designed this versions PCBs, PSUs, Case and heatsinks. My ears love your work!

I have added thermal switches as well as speaker protection module. You can see the sensors fitted on heat sink and speaker protection board on back side of soft start module (5th Pic). The Sound is too good to be described.

Sadik
Nice pics, Sadik. Is your new built PSU still based on the capacitance multiplier? Can you point links to where you bought the Amp and PSU kits? Thanks.

I built the amp that Sachu888 profiled. Nice PCBs and the case came together well, all fitted very easily.
I added additional capacitors to each rail. 1 * 33000uF, 5 * 1000uF and 5 * 470uF as was suggested.
I also put a voltmeter on each rail and extended power supply LEDs to front as a bit of bling.
I am running it at 15VDC.
It runs really cool, only a couple of degrees above ambient.
Sound quality is brilliant. I am delighted with the build.
Fantastic effort from those that designed this versions PCBs, PSUs, Case and heatsinks. My ears love your work!

Thanks John, I am happy you are enjoying your amp.

Regards
Sachin

le monstre PSU

Just an update on my le monstre build, i needed to place heatsinks on the rectifiers but needed a way to hold them on. To buy clips for transistors was really expensive, couldn't believe what they charge up to £2-3 (3 euros) for one clip?!! so i had this brainwave idea of using heavy duty bulldog paperclips which work brilliantly and just as good, best of all it cost me just £5 for 20 of them!

6BbpUoB.jpg

vHzkiB6.jpg

St0lMDJ.jpg

6vyHTGL.jpg

next was to stack the transformers, so i used my 3d printer to make a simple holder and shelf.

YEW7nUw.jpg

UWA0R41.jpg

0xpgNOQ.jpg

Worked out well, next is to build the chassis.

36Lpte0.jpg

A1f0eQH.jpg

xHKpYPi.jpg

Hi,

the idea of that power supply is to connect power diodes from down side so than it will be much easier to connect it to any heatsink...Than you can use any flat aluminium board for heatsink which can cover whole area of Power supply .Very good work. br,
Igor

Last edited:
Thanks Igor, yea i gathered that. This seemed like the best way as i want to build a slim amplifier and have the PSU stacked. Next is placing the 12v transformer, speaker protection unit and soft start! Again ill 3D print suitable brackets for them and then use sheet metal to form the case.

Transistor placement

Just quick one, thoughts on transistor placement?

DSC_0751.JPG

This one above means i have to drill and tap it

DSC_0754.JPG

Where is this one i just need to bolt it down and solder some wires. I prefer this, also i think the heat will transfer better.

placement of soft start, speaker protection and 12v tansformer

DSC_0756.jpg

Transistor Placement

I built a Le Monstre last year and had the same problem mounting the output transistors. In the end I decided to wire them to either side of the pcb, and then said, I might as well put them into the centre of the heatsink and extend the wires a little more. My Electronics adviser said no no no not to do it like that but I did.
I must say this is the most incredible sounding amp I have ever heard, it has everything I ever wanted from music.

See the attached image of what I ended up doing. I would certainly do it again without hesitation.
I use this amp daily and the hottest I have ever had the sinks was 32c and the ambient was mid twenties and it was on for hours.
Prasi's PCB's for the power supplies and are fantastic. Now I just listen to the music without listening or looking for ways to "improve" the sound. The Preamp is Salas DCG3 and it is also a work of art!

Attachments

• LeMonstre-01.jpg
    LeMonstre-01.jpg
    982.9 KB · Views: 345
  • LeMonstre-03.jpg
    LeMonstre-03.jpg
    905.8 KB · Views: 307
  • LeMonstre-IR.JPG
    LeMonstre-IR.JPG
    559.9 KB · Views: 288
Last edited: