Hifisonix kx-Amplifier

Great job.

I need help with ripple eater. Guess what? I've connected grounded radiator to transistor... I have replaced transistors on one side: BD139 MJE15032. Before connecting AC, I've removed and tested diodes in1407, all were ok on multimeter.
When I connect it to 25v x2 300va toroid, multimeter connected to vneg-vpos displays voltage slowly increasing to 39V dc. I disconnected when reached 39.5V.

What to do now?
Before that i had it tested on both channels one by one. It was working, but at 25% higher villages than in pdf

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Some quick points on the PSU’s etc

Nx-Amp PSU includes DC offset and switch ON/OFF muting protection so this is why it is more complex than the other PSU’s. I did not include any ripple eater function so the ripple on the nx-Amp power rails will be between 1 and 2 Volts at full power (100 watts into 8 Ohms).

The original six Amp is just a straight supply with no protection features. Since the supply rail is only +-22V and there are two pairs of 250 Watt transistors per channel, they see very little stress so I kept it really simple. I have shorted the output of my sx and kx amps a few times during development and the rail fuses (5A) just pop but the amps work fine after replacing the fuses.

The ripple eater PSU was designed specifically for use with the kx and sx Amps. No protection is included, but both amps have very overrated output stages as mentioned. In a class A amp, the ripple is high even at low outputs because of the high continuous current load. The ripple eater reduces power supply rail ripple to a few tens of mV typically.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If your transformer is 25V AC you will get about 38 or 39 V DC out with no load.

That voltage can only be used with the kx-Amp in class AAB mode and not in class A mode. You should have c. 28 to 29 V DC on each side so 56 to 58V no load across both PSU’s.

My PSU takes about 6-7 seconds to come up to full supply - ie 90-95% of the final reading. My supply rails are +-28VDV before the ripple eater and +-26.6 after the ripple eater.

Put a load on the output (say 100-200 mA) and then redo the readings.

Hi all,
Excuse my ignorance but is 'Class AAB' basically running Class AB with higher bias currents or something else? (Can't find much info on a 'net search' but also came across 'Adaptive Auto Bias' as regards amplifiers).
Thanks

P.S. I have a 25/0/25 500VA transformer that's looking to meet up with an amplifier circuit - perhaps the kx :)

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes - class AAB means higher than usual class AB biasing so you get a larger class A region than you would with conventional class AB beading.

In the kx-Amplier, class AAB sets each output pair at 300 mA, so 600 mA per amplifier, and in class A is c. 600 mA per pair, 1.2 mA total per amplifier.

Your transformer would work well with a kx-Amp in class AAB mode.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick answer Bonsai.

Do you know/have estimated the 'transition point' at which the amp goes from 'A' to 'AB' in the kx?

Anyway, I'll order the boards from Jims (have already ordered 2 by 'ripple eaters' a week back - so I'll use one per channel and have one spare).

Joined 2009
Paid Member
@ polsol are the psu boards supplied with the kx amp boards not different from the ripple eater boards sold seperately. I know that Jim's audio do sell the kx psu pcb on its own as I have just ordered one as I intend to make monoblocks at some point. It is an excellent sounding amp with just the one psu board.

@ polsol are the psu boards supplied with the kx amp boards not different from the ripple eater boards sold seperately. I know that Jim's audio do sell the kx psu pcb on its own as I have just ordered one as I intend to make monoblocks at some point. It is an excellent sounding amp with just the one psu board.

Looking at the pics on Jim's both boards (sold separately and with the kx) are named as 'Multiplier Cap PSU' so it seems they are the same. A quick look seems to confirm that but as the boards are inverted between the two items so it's a little difficult to compare visually.
There might be component differences though.
Bonsai will probably confirm your question.

The PS board which came with my amp bds is totally different.

In the pic the smaller board is the 'included' PS whilst the larger board is the "Ripple Eater" bd.

[Pl excuse dreadful pic! :eek: ]

Attachments

• BDC_1315.jpg
    BDC_1315.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 306