Help which 10" woofer I chose or buy SB29nrx75-6 or Alcone AC10HE ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help which 10" woofer I chose out of these 3 SB or Alcone Or Visaton ???

Hello

I would like to ask any opinion from those people who used or heard these SB woofer in 3 way system or as a sub-woofer.
I want to use it in a 3 way system in a 75L BR enclosure.
AudioNL store
Another option I think about the Alcone AC 10 HE
Alcone AC 10 HE
These is the Visaton
Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories
Visaton produce some of my favorite drivers all do I never heard these driver
Any pro and contra welcome before I buy.
Thank you very much:)

Greetings Gabor

Last edited:
Hello

I would like to ask any opinion from those people who used or heard these SB woofer in 3 way system or as a sub-woofer.
I want to use it in a 3 way system in a 75L BR enclosure.
AudioNL store
Another option I think about the Alcone AC 10 HE
Alcone AC 10 HE
These is the Visaton
Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories
Visaton produce some of my favorite drivers all do I never heard these driver
Any pro and contra welcome before I buy.
Thank you very much:)

Greetings Gabor

Hi Gabor,

I would pick the Visaton driver at first hand for mains but not in a ported box as this driver is excellent in a closed box when Qtc=~0.5-0.6 and use the same driver in real subs (2 or more) where the extension below ~50 Hz can be fully be exploited when placed near walls/corners:
Pictures of modeled sub's :

b:)

Attachments

• TIW-250-XS-8 OHM.JPG
    TIW-250-XS-8 OHM.JPG
    526.7 KB · Views: 1,045
  • SB29NRX75-6.JPG
    SB29NRX75-6.JPG
    519.6 KB · Views: 1,012
Hi Gabor,

I would pick the Visaton driver at first hand for mains but not in a ported box as this driver is excellent in a closed box when Qtc=~0.5-0.6 and use the same driver in real subs (2 or more) where the extension below ~50 Hz can be fully be exploited when placed near walls/corners:
Pictures of modeled sub's :

Hi,
bjorno, if I was you I would divide that figure of the Visaton "Excursion limit +/−14 mm" by 2 so that I would use it for the (comparison) simulations you have presented above. Usually is good to work/use T/S parameter Xmax so that it gives a good standard between different manufacturers (and we don't call them layers afterwards). I know some don't like standards... or make their own.;) As Î said I have some doubts about what that parameter is about. And not saying your sims are not "nice" or inacurate. Again, I would say Xmax=7 mm until somebody proves me the opposite. Thanks.
http://www.bcae1.com/speaker.htm

Last edited:
Hi,
bjorno, if I was you I would divide that figure of the Visaton "Excursion limit +/−14 mm" by 2 so that I would use it for the (comparison) simulations you have presented above. Usually is good to work/use T/S parameter Xmax so that it gives a good standard between different manufacturers (and we don't call them layers afterwards). I know some don't like standards... or make their own.;) As Î said I have some doubts about what that parameter is about. And not saying your sims are not "nice" or inacurate. Again, I would say Xmax=7 mm until somebody proves me the opposite. Thanks.
Speaker

Hi Inductor

Good point, :eek: I really did a mistake and you are quite right.

I've earlier compared this driver with one of my favorite drivers and found it is very similar in performance ( quarter-wave enclosures) :The 7" Wavecor-SW178WA01 for which I used Xmax = (16-6)2=5 mm and for the Visaton (25-8)2= 8.5 mm but for an unknown reason I forgot to do use x-max= 8.5 mm in my new simulations.

The limit 14 mm is IMO good to use for 1 Hz safe excursions when no protective low end HPF is present.

I will post a new simulation using both 8.5 mm and 5 mm as reference later this evening.

Thank you again!

Hi

Long time since I started these thread
I ended up with a pair 10" Alcone AC 10HE
Alcone AC 10 HE - RumoH - Caps, coils and speakers
Also I have a pair Hi-VI research
F10 Hi-end Woofer - RumoH - Caps, coils and speakers
Next to that I have (before I purchased the 10" drivers) a pair Monacor 8"
SPH-200KE - RumoH - Caps, coils and speakers

Now after some listening test lot of headache and heart ......... etc..
I just found out the Alcone has 2 different speech on the net, huge difference between the two data.
Also someone measure the (new) Monacor and the result far from the company speech or data.
I know the shared data for the driver usually after break in but both the Alcone and Monacor has so big difference hard to believe ever meat with the orig data.

I tested all 3 driver over the 75L BR enclosure (the port is very long and not tuned)
I did several hours listening and I'm not to happy with either of them.
Rather write I'm very unhappy with the heard sound.

The Alcone sound thin, dry, but that bass I get at least is controlled (the driver not broken in yet)
The HI-VI has big fat sound, not precise, (tube like rounded bass) somehow to loud around 200Hz and up even do I used a 6.2mH coil..

I got used to it to my Visaton AL130 13cm driver (8 years I listen those driver in a 12L BR enclosure) compare to that these 10" drivers are to slow and lazy somehow.
I can't test the Monacor because that only 8" and the cut out on the box made for a 10" driver, all do I did put at the front of the hole and since to be faster than the 2 10" drivers.
I have to cut a ring from plywood for the Monacor so I can test it well that to.
The Monacor optimal 50L BR and my Enclosure 75L.
Only the HI-VI was mounted and I try to avoid to mount the Monacor or the Alcone.
In case I will decide to sell those driver (I have to just I need one pair) It will lose a lot from their value if I mount or solder them.:eek:
Right now I can't pick between the drivers (the biggest problem)
Sometimes I fill the project is just a waste of $$$$.....
Probably I would be much happier if I buy 4 pair Visaton AL130 and build a 60L line array with them, now is to late...:rolleyes: money was spent already
I like that little Visaton that much!
I taught the Alcone will be the same (close) category than the Visaton AL series, that is far from the truth.
The HI-VI not bad but not my cup of tea.
The Monacor need further testing and my main focus to go with 10" woofer at low end.
I would love to cross the low around 250-300Hz max.
Any advise (just please do not ask to trow them out and start all over again because if I think about $$$ and the effort invested in the enclosure I start to faint)
One of my friend told these so many time
Big drivers, big speakers big problem, small drivers less problem.
Top of that these must be 3 way system and must get nice 30Hz bass or at least close to that.
Any advise more than welcome.
Pictures will come soon.
Also I will try to find the mentioned Alcone data to post here(so bad compare to the orig incredible)

Greetings Gabor

Great build, I never saw that speaker until now.
Thank you for posting.
Something similar came up to my mind to and I would gladly exchange my drivers to those Visaton.
My Visaton box is 12L BR tuned to 40Hz but many people said that goes deeper because sound so nice, vivid precise.
I do love it a lot. 8 years I listen and still favorite.
I picked the Visaton over many High End driver like Scanspeak Revelator etc.
I use 18db XO because that allow fine precise tuning.
Greetings Gabor

The woofer filter of a passive 3-way is very tricky. Even adding a single large coil already messes up the frequency response of the woofer completely. The peak at 80 Hz can be cured with a series LCR in parallel to the driver. But then the impedance most likely drops to 3 ohm or less. An active woofer filter avoids all these problems.

Attached a simulation of the Alcone AC10HE in 75 liters.

Attachments

• SimulationGaborbela.jpg
    SimulationGaborbela.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 508
Here is the Alcone data but better if you open the original, PD file.
There you can see for BR they advise 65L..
Also D'Appolito first buid was 65L with these woofer.

■power handling (continuous/programme) = 150/250 W
■frequency range = 25-1000 Hz
■resonance frequency fs = 28 Hz
■impedance R = 8 Ohm
■sound pressure level SPL = 90 dB (2,83V; 1m)
■DC resistance Re = 6,4 Ohm
■voice coil inductance L = 0,7 mH
■effective piston radiating area Sd = 346 cm2
■effective mechanical mass incl. air load mms = 54 g
■equivalent volume of compliance Vas = 100 l
■total Q factor Qts = 0,32 (Qms=4,1, Qes=0,35)
■voice coil diameter = 50 mm
■mounting diameter d = 239 mm
■overall diameter d = 272 mm
■mounting depth (not countersunk) t = 108 mm
■mass m = 3,3 kg

I"ll post the pd.file, I think that will be better if you can open it from here.

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/pdf/alcone/ac10he.pdf

Usually I use 18db X-over with that I can do all kind of tricks (more adjustment oportunity).
The problem if the woofer does not have the bass I want there is no X-over which would resolve these issue.
The main reason I started to test (to compare) the Alcone to the HI-VI F10 because I have both and I want to keep the better one and sell the one not feet my need.
Right now look like both woofer far from my taste.:eek:
I can't keep buy all the woofers until I find one wich feet my need.
Unfortunately we can not go 100% based on the data.
Other people opinion does count but sometimes they are not honest
D'Appolito who praised these (Alcone driver) woofer a lot but look like that was just to promote the Alcone on the market.
These is a sad statement because He trick me to buy these woofer...:eek:
If you take a look today he already drooped the AC 10HE from first orig kit.
Strassacker: Speaker Building, Components
Unfortunately I only can find these speaker today where they use it in a smaller enclosure or they mention the woofer has tight bass but not nice deep or ...
These they use two woofer

If would be better to go with smaller box I can decrease the enclosure about 10L or so but I afraid on the end I end up with a smaller cabinet where no other woofer will ever be useful
If I do not get -3 30Hz there is no reason to use 10"..
Sorry I just woke up and my brain just not there..:)
Thank you guys!!
Greetings G

Dear G,

I am no expert on speaker design but, these speaker drive units you have already are very hi end and expensive. I think you are going about things in a very expensive way.

Your way of testing bass speakers in poorly tuned bass reflex speaker boxes seems to me doomed. Bass reflex speakers are very critical in tuning, and you cant just make universal boxes.

I would start with WinISD as its free It suggests for the Alcone needs 46 Liters and a port of 33 cm long with 10 cm diameter giving a -3db of around 40Hz, or a box about 25 Liters sealed with a -3db of 60Hz. I would go for the latter.

Also in my opinion most bass reflex speakers just sound wrong, and often are very sensitive to amplifier output impedance.

I would suggest measurement is critical, especially with bass reflex designs and sub bass and sound amplitude is much less important than people on this forum suggest.

Your approach is very complex and will require a LOT of prototypes, I would expect at least 10 boxes to be needed if tuning by ear, and at least an adjustable port, though an adjustable passive radiator might be easier and faster I suggest you have embarked on a very complex approach.

I think active cross overs help a lot. I suggest with (digital) equalization you could even consider sealed boxes (so smaller). This is simpler to do and will probably be cheaper and easier to make acceptable results in the long run, and also much smaller boxes, though it will reduce output volume or bass extension.

Best regards

Owen

From what I remember enclosure is to large for the Alcone 10", giving it a very low Q, instead of optimal, with low bass extension (?) with weak and delayed lows.
I will read/check it later, for the full thread and simulation. But I remember the above problem being an issue here for this speaker, taking into account the enclosure being made and the money available, as local availability (or price) and the specs needed. The right tuning must also play a role here...

Inductor

Thank you very much
Can you run a sim from the HI-VI F10 to at 75L BR.

Based on their speech not a bad woofer and the sim I use It shows me acceptable performance from 75L BR.
F10 Hi-end Woofer - RumoH - Caps, coils and speakers

-Using leading technology of Small/Thiele parameters -Light and extremely rigid cone made from Kevlar? Paper composite-Sound is natural and accurate.
-Germany special manufactured anti-tired high loss natural rubber surround: fully absorb unnecessary vibration energy!
-Britain produced high-transparent and high-steady spider-can improve the characteristic of compliance air compressing.
-Outside magnet high performance magnetic system: dynamical linear drive resource.
-Hi-Vi Symmetric Motor Drive (SMD) technology makes the voice coil into a symmetrical driving magnetic field, thus acquiring symmetrical driving force, reducing the mutual modulation of voice coil inductance and back electromotive force, improving the controllability of the speakers, achieving low distortion degree
-Finite Element Analysis for high density aluminum frame, prevents the parasitic structural resonances
-High power handling, heat-resistant Kapton?voice coil former: the guarantee of high quality bass.
-Sound features: The low frequency shocking, high analysis, energetic.
-Suitable for bass unit of 3-way vented floor-standing loudspeaker system in home, and also suitable for sub-bass unit of sub-bass loudspeaker system
Accurate and uncompressed reproduction of very low bass at realistic levels represents the ideology implemented in this driver. The design of the F10 has been optimized for balanced and dynamic low bass reproduction in compact or medium vented systems and subwoofers. The F10 utilizes a newly developed matrix of Kevlar and paper fibers. As a result, the cone weighs less, is more rigid, and has an improved dampening factor over conventional Kevlar¡§ materials. The back of the cone is hand coated with a special dampening compound to further maximize performance stability and control of structural resonances. This allows distortion to be kept very low through a wide frequency and power range. The massive aluminum die-cast basket with multiple point mounting has been developed to minimize parasitic structural resonance.
The driver has a vented pole piece to avoid air compression and ensure maximum power handling. Together with the long-throw design, this feature provides clean and articulated bass performance at high volume levels. The massive aluminum die-cast basket has been developed to minimize parasitic structural resonances.

I agree with you tuning is very important, In my case the port tube is no good
29Cm long and 12cm at the openings both side.
I can't cut it because I don't know how to calculate the flared type precisely.
I have to buy a 3" type adjustable port tube.
The enclosure was designed for a 8" woofer! Because of that I believe noth wide enough for 10-11" woofer specially with these huge (large diameter) port tube.

Yes I just found out the Alcone does not have huge bass.
Has good controled precise bass but bigg and the enclosure must be tuned very well.
Unfortunately I took D'Appolito review on the Alcone as 100% true..
If you take a look they already drooped the woofer from the 65L BR now they use smaller box plus and a subwoofer:eek:
With the other kit they use 2 of these woofer..:D
That is a big monster. That is not for me..

Now to clear some facts.
If I can't get quality 30Hz from a 10" woofer I will give up these project
For mids I have a 5" Gorlich 130/25 or 130/25VK (not sure which one out of the two driver)
For tweeter I have a British made Morel driver.
Some picture from the Alcone and HI-VI reasearch F10.

Greetings G

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 417
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 430
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 434
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 496
Consider this just as a starting point simulation for the optimal alignment of the Alcone AC10HE, before you use a different type/size enclosure or complex alignment.
ALCONE AC 10 HE, VB = 48 L, FB = 27.5 Hz
Port size int.diam./length: 7.4 cm/30 cm

This is a different alignment already for the same driver with a +2L (50L) enclosure and notice how the extreme low frequencies drop to F-12 dB/25 Hz (previous 22Hz) and F-24 dB/16 Hz (previous 14Hz) with F-6 dB/31 Hz being the same for the two different enclosures/alignments.
ALCONE AC 10 HE, VB = 50.0 L, FB = 33 Hz
Port size int.diam./length: 9.4 cm/31 cm

If you want to use/try this alignments with your box just drop some phantom volumes inside like 1 or two pillows to bring net down close to figure. Then bring the inside diameter of the port close to the 8/9 cm mark, with some kind of wool felt/foam like in the example.
You just need a good 40W amp for this driver.

Attachments

• ALCONE AC 10 HE.jpg
    ALCONE AC 10 HE.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 88
  • PORT - para-aperiodic vented system - Luxury loudspeakers Guarnieri Evolution - Cópia.jpg
    PORT - para-aperiodic vented system - Luxury loudspeakers Guarnieri Evolution - Cópia.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 89
48L

Relative -3 dB Point 37.08 Hz
Relative -6 dB Point 29.99 Hz
Relative -10 dB Point 24.93 Hz

Port Diameter 7.5cm
Port Length 25cm
Number of Ports 1
Tuned Port Fb 30.1 Hz

you will get to 30hz in room :) hope that helps

Attachments

• alcone10 vented 48L.gif
    alcone10 vented 48L.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 78
  • alcone10 vented 48L excursion.gif
    alcone10 vented 48L excursion.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 63
  • alcone10 vented 48L port velocity.gif
    alcone10 vented 48L port velocity.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 44
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.