Hacking the Logitech Z5500

@m4r3ck25
My speakers will make a sound if I turn something electrical on in the room (same circuit) like my fan, same scenario, PC off, speakers on, everything plugged in. But I don't get random ****. My suggestions would be maybe try a good power strip if you got one....otherwise. How good of quality were your cables? How electrically active is the room (wifi, other electrical appliances in the room, cell phone?)

This happenes when house electric fitting are done in Serial mode ie.. two high gauge wires travels from one room to other and distributing load in serial mode.. If a particular electrical product produces any type of interference then this interference is carried with load flow.

Try to plug your Speaker Power to the UPS of your PC and test it .. if it dont make any electric interference noise just get a good spike.

Has anyone had any luck setting up the sub of a spring clip z-5500 as a powered sub? My Control pod died after something like 8 years of use so I've bought a 5.1 amplifier and once it arrives I'll plug the satellites into that. But rather than buy a powered, active, sub I thought it would be cool if I could use the existing sub, since it has a built in amp, from the z-5500 system as my active sub. But with only the pre-amp bass being sent via the RCA plugged into the back of the receiver I'm not sure what would tell sub to turn on.

Building Z-680 to Z-5500 Adapter

So, I've been working on a project to be able to use my Z-5500 control pod for the Z-680 sub I have. This thread has been a great help for wiring and pinout information for the Z-5500 unit, but I havent had much luck finding information for the pinout of the Z-680 sub.

I'm looking for either pinout information so I can build an adapter to bridge the two, or information to do what many on this thread have done: create a triple 3.5mm jack, D-sub 15 plug so as to provide 6 channel direct sound to the sub and satellites.

If any of ya'll have information about these things, I'd greatly appreciate it.

So far, I've had success getting the pod to power up, but cannot figure out how to pass through the analog audio signals. That is of course if the Z-5500 passes analog signal to the sub. I kind of assume that it did, but I wouldn't be surprised that the reason my efforts have failed is because that assumption does not hold for the Z-5500.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
balbaid;2382913I wired the center RCA wire to PIN 2 I wired the sleeve of RCA to pin 8 & 13 and that did the trick when connected to my receiver . Also notice that i didn't wire PIN 7 because it's the mute wire for me . Hope this helps anyone who's frustrated as i was :)[/QUOTE said:
Thanks for info... but can you confirm that pin 7 is mute? I would think pin 7 is on and 8 is mute for your 2005 system?

I've attempted to build a cable to use my spring clip Z-5500 which I believe is a 2005 model. After a few attempts, I can't get it to work correctly. I've used the guide by knexkid including his pinout diagram.

When I test it out, I can only get sound to come out of the center channel, and none of the other ones (not even on the sub, which is on the same orange stereo cable). This is when I only test one cable at a time. Is it possible that the amp requires all the channels to be connected to the source for it to function properly? I've confirmed that pins 6,7,8 are grounded, as well as each of the stereo cable grounds, and that none of the wires are shorting each other out. All of the solder joints seem to be good. Has anyone had a similar problem upon testing out their cable for the first time?

hey guys im new here... ive got a z 5500 at work right now with 2 dead control pods that if i can get it to work, ill be able to pick up for about $60. hellova deal imho, only one little problem, dead control pods. the sub is the spring clip style and ive read through almost every page of this thread and come to the conclusion that using an old pod from a dead z 2300 i should be able to re-wire it to work with the z 5500. so far ive got this.

z 2300 pod
Pin PCB Name Description
1 SLINE Subwoofer Line Input
2 (unused)
3 SGND Signal/Audio Ground
4 PGND Power Ground
5 STDBY Standby, Active Low
6 RL Right Line Input
7 (unused)
8 (unused)
9 (unused)
10 (unused)
11 RHP Right Headphone Output
12 LL Left Line Input
13 LHP Left Headphone Output
14 (unused)
15 VREG 15V Supply Rail

z 5500 pod
DB15 connector:
1 - Right Rear in
2 - Sub In
3 - Left Rear in
4 - Center in
5 - Left Front in
6 - enable in
7 - enable in
8 - enable in
9 - Right Front in
10 - +8V logic supply out
11 - ?
12 - ?
13 - ground
14 - +18 V supply out
15 - -18 V supply out

this is what i would need to connect to get left, right and sub working, i think.

1 -> 2
6 -> 9
12 -> 5

only part i am unsure of is connecting grounds and where to connect #5 from the z2300 pod to the z5500 connection so that i can use the power/standby button on the z2300 pod.

for grounds i am assuming 4 -> 13 and for power/standby button 5 -> 10

any input on if this is correct or anything else i am overlooking would be much appreciated, i really want to pick this speaker set up for cheap.

Hi Friends,
I purchased Logitech z5500 three years back. Now after the warranty period was over, i'm in trouble.Suddenly the Sub woofer speaker is not working.All the other speakers are working fine and even the control pod is working fine,but there is no sound from the subwoofer. I tested the subwoofer speaker,it's fine,but no sound from the subwoofer.

Now i'm unable to locate the fault. I have already purchased one TDA 7294 to replace if needed,but i'm unable to locate the fault and what to replace.

Please guide me to locate the problem.Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunny.

12453.1.0.jpg

where can i buy this part? the control center thing. cause 1 of the pin is broken and need to replace it

im not from US so i have to buy it online. i hope that replacing it is not so complicated :(

please help me, my $300 z 5500 speaker is so useless because of this:(

Thank you

Hey guys! Thanks for the help, and as promised I have successfully made a cable to use the z-5500s with no control pod. I'll recap for anyone still a little confused on how to make this cable, as I was.

Parts:
d-sub 15 pin, 3 row connector and housing ~$2
two 25 feet 3.5mm (1/8inch) male to male stereo cables ~$10
soldering iron, flux, solder, patience

The 25 feet cables were cut in half to create 4 cables (3 are used, you will have 1 spare). So my cables are a little over 12 feet long.
Using the pinout previously found in this thread (I re-attached it for reference).

One the three cables for direct 5.1 audio:
-tip is center, rear left, and front left
-center ring is sub, rear right, and front right
-bottom ring is ground for all

For the purpose of this guide:
Cable 1: front left/right
Cable 2: read left/right
Cable 3: sub/center

Pinout (note this if for SPRING CLIP version of z5500):
1: Rear right in (cable 2 center ring)
2: Sub in (cable 3 center ring)
3. Rear left in (cable 2 tip)
4. Center in (cable 3 tip)
5. Front left (cable 1 tip)
6. Enable in (to pin 13, ground)
7. Enable in (to pin 13, ground)
8. Enable in (to pin 13, ground)
9. Front right in (cable 1 center)
10. UNUSED
11. UNUSED
12. UNUSED
13. Ground (input from pin 6, 7, 8, and ground from cable 1, 2, and 3)
14. UNUSED
15. UNUSED

Please note again, this is pinout for SPRING CLIP version. The pinout for the RCA version can be found in this thread.

In order for the subwoofer to properly function, you must enable bass redirection from you soundcard's preferences. PLEASE SEE MY NEXT POST I HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS

Please let me know of any suggestions/clarifications I can make.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! I was completely hopeless, but your solution worked perfectly for me. I'm very happy, I can enjoy the marvelous sound of the z5500s again. I'm looking forward for a way to revive the control center. mine displays "detecting...". I'll post the solution if I would find one. Thank you once more and i wish you all the best!

Still looking for some answers also. Seems i got no help since "April 2010" yet. Perhaps because i am new here or i really don't know. And most of the pictures are now gone off this thread. So i need a picture for the old style logitech z-5500's with the rca jacks to bypass the pod. Thanks.