• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy for Jan's high voltage regulator

Not as easy as I thought it was? lol, of course not!!

I'm looking to use the T-Reg to power a Tubelab SSE. Would the load on the T-Reg ultimately be the pair of 5K OPTs at the end of the circuit?
R2 = 5K ohm?

Glenn

Attachments

• Simple_SE_Amp_Sch_11-08.jpg
    Simple_SE_Amp_Sch_11-08.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 144
Actually, now that I've thought about it, the load would be all the power the circuit uses. That would be a lot of power, it runs hot!!

if P = I x V
and I want to run 2 kt88s at 450V then (0.14A) x (450V) = 63W
I have 2 kt88s so 126W
and then 4.5W for the 12AT7
About 130W total.
Is that closer to what I'm looking for? Everything in audio is way more complicated than it appears at first glance! Whenever I think I understand something about circuits I soon realize how much the Dunning Kruger effect applies to me!! :rolleyes:

You said it: 2 x KT88 at 140mA each is 280mA, say 300mA to be on the safe side. That's what the T-Reg has to deliver, at 450V. Equivalent load on PSUD2 is thus 450V/300mA = 1.5k

Jan
Thanks for the explanation. That changes the circuit. Looks like I need to lower C1 to about 47uF or the line on the graph looks like a guitar string that's been plucked!
Cool, thanks for the help Jan :)

I recently received word from Mouser that the FDP12N60NZ is obsolete, discontinued by the manufacturer.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/512-FDP12N60NZ
They still have a good number in stock (1200) but it may at some point become a problem. I’m wondering if I should stock up on a spare or two in case I need to replace that component some years from now unless there is a suitable substitute.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't have a part number handy right now but I am pretty sure there will be an alternative.

Give me day or so to find one.

Edit: Onsemi recommends a replacement FDPF12N60NZ which is the isolated fullpak version.
The problem lies in the very much reduced SOA as shown in the attachment.
At 600V across the device (shorted output T-reg) the FDP60 can handle 400mA, the FDPF60 only 70mA ...

Jan

Attachments

• FDP60.PNG
    FDP60.PNG
    134.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A good replacement would be the NTP110N65S3HF. But there is an error in the datasheet. There is also a fullpak version, the NTPF110N65S3HF which has a much smaller SOA (due to the extra isolation of course).
Unfortunately, if you look at the data sheets it's clear that they messed up the SOA curves for the two types.
I need to straighten them out again :cool:

But to answer the original question: the NTP110N65S3HF is a good replacement. I will add it to the BOM.

Jan

Hi Jan,

im thinking of building a few of these. I’ve looked through the documentation, but other than the temperature rise table in the article and mention of ”see text” in the bom, I can’t find explicit instructions on how to work out the dissipation in Q1/Q7. Any advice appreciated.

Raja