• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy for Jan's high voltage regulator

Yes. Isn't that 60mA + 15mA?
Or is that for one channel?
Are you able to calculate the dissipation? I gave the simple equation earlier.
How did you arrive at 30W?

Not trying to play games - I think if you apply this stuff you should know what you are doing.

Jan
The amps are monoblocks, so it would be 75ma dissipated across the transistor for each amp.

30W is the approx total power consumption of each amp, Jan.

OK, you won't come clean. Your choice.
75mA per channel, with 400-360V=40V across the regulator, is 40 x 75 mW = 3W per channel in Q1/Q7.

Jan
i thought you understood my mistake, which was summing the amp power consumption with p=va. This wasnt about coming clean. I didn’t think I’d need to tell you how I arrived at the figure. Assumption got the better of both of us.

Hello Jan,
Are C3, C4 , C6 and Q1 voltage rating are limited factor why the board is limited to 500V in? If changing these components to higher voltage rating, would it be safe for input higher than 500V? My supply has about 640 V raw output after choke/capacitor input filter. I could reduce the supply further with some power resistor to bring it about 600V or less as required. However, I wanted the flexibility to adjust it between 400-550V regulated output with load current of 250mA for testing different amps. Will plan to use chassis heatsink for Q1. With these in mind, would it safe to use your board or I need to do something else? Please let me know. Thanks.

Jan,

Yes, I am aware of the Q8 and will use IXTP08N100D2. I probably will use higher voltage rating for C3 too to give it more safety margin and peace of mind. Also do you have any concerns if I replace Q1 with IXTP08N100P? I have both Q1 and Q8 in my hand. Yes, I am aware it does not have Vgs protection built in as FDP12N60NZ. However, I will find the way to add them in.

Again, thanks for a quick response.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan,

I can't find the SOA figures 15 & 16 of IXTP08N100P in datasheet that you just mentioned. Attached is the datasheet.
That's funny, I found it in the attached.

Edit: it's gone now that I attach it! Weird. I added a screenshot.
There's also a one-line spec in the datasheet, attached.

Jan

Attachments

• IXTY08N100P-IXYS.pdf
    257.6 KB · Views: 73
  • soa.PNG
    soa.PNG
    66.1 KB · Views: 78
  • soa2.PNG
    soa2.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 81
Jan,
There are two different datasheet for IXTP08N100P (Enhancement) and IXTP08N100D2 (Depletion). IXTP08N100P does not have figures for SOA. However, I assumed that we can use the same SOA from IXTP08N100D2. Now I can see your point. In my situation for normal operation with 50-60V across Vds I think it will be OK but not look good for 200Vds. It's definitely not short proof.

Again thanks.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Very good question! What I did in the T-reg is to make sure that the current at the current limit does not stay there more than a few 100mS.
In case of short, the current is limited to the set value but a fraction of a second later the supply is shut down.
The idea is that short-term load pulses at the current limit are supported but only for very short periods.
It's a bit of guesstimate work, but in practice it seems to work.

Jan

Jan,

I noted on your website you recommended that NTP110N65S3HF would be a good substitution for FDP12N60NZ. During my research I found a few that would probably be good candidates for substitution that you want to take a look (e.g., STP36N60M6, STP33N60M6, STP34N65M5, STP35N60M2-EP).

On another subject I plan to connect your regulator to the B+ of my KT88 pushpull amp with an Ultralinear output transformer, do you see any issue with this or what other recommendation you would recommend to do before connect it to the B+ (H.T)?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Ultraliner output tranny.jpg
    Ultraliner output tranny.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 73
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes these look like good candidates. Too bad the SOA graphs stop at 10mS, but they are quite robust at 1A and 600V or more.
They would probably be totally safe in the T-reg up to say 200mA.
One issue to be aware of is that nowadays many power FETs are offered in a fullpak case which is a totally isolated tab, so you don't need an isolation between the tab and a heatsink.
But fullpak devices have a very bad SOA and are pretty much unusable in a T-reg.

I don't see any problems in your use case. I have been in a discussion with someone who had problems with a choke loaded single ended amp.
But that didn't get resolved whether it was a supply issue or whether there was another issue with the amp.

Jan

Hi I'm new to the group, this is my first intervention. i am building a phono preamp
purchased two reg ht shunt boards for use in the first voltage gain stage of my phono stage. The stage works in a voltage point of 105V and 8 mA of anode current. What current should I adjust the output shunt to get the best sound result? I have read that other models of shunt (Salas SSHV2) work in an optimum of double or 3x the current necessary for the amplifier stage, in my case with 8mA I should set the shunt to 16-24mA. correct?
I await suggestions.
thank you