Great Balls of Prestige

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Bon, good advice and interesting insights.

I have actually finished the sub's now. I have each sub in a separated enclosure (25mm MDF partition) and have wired each to 4 ohms. My plan is as you first suggested to have each of the four channels driving a sub. So separate enclosures and amps.

Soon it will be time for further measurements outdoors, but raining at the moment. :(

The wife is very pleased with how much less imposing the new cabinets are to the old 'coffins'.

Attachments

• IMG_20170608_122014.jpg
    IMG_20170608_122014.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_20170608_143345.jpg
    IMG_20170608_143345.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 401
Everything looks awesome.

About how much does each completed sub enclosure weigh? And how do you find time to do all of this in the span of a week??? :spin:

Since you called them great balls of prestige the first song you should play on them is AC/DC's big balls.

:D:D:D
Thanks!

Each sub weighs in just about 30kg. The 5mm threaded rods (PITA to fit!), damping products and 25mm MDF, along with the thick pipe adds up.

Of course the weight doesn't really matter anyway, as the mechanical force cancelling configuration means the enclosures don't have to be really heavy!

I have managed to get so much done, because I have had the week off - putting in 12-14 hours a day on this build......I am feeling a little broken!

AC/DC - classic! Will do.

:D:D:D
Thanks!

Each sub weighs in just about 30kg. The 5mm threaded rods (PITA to fit!), damping products and 25mm MDF, along with the thick pipe adds up.

Of course the weight doesn't really matter anyway, as the mechanical force cancelling configuration means the enclosures don't have to be really heavy!

I have managed to get so much done, because I have had the week off - putting in 12-14 hours a day on this build......I am feeling a little broken!

AC/DC - classic! Will do.

You are a prolific builder.

You are a prolific builder.

Cheers. I do it in bursts. I have been planning this for ages, doing scale drawings to ensure everything fits etc.

Afraid I didn't take any pictures of the rods it was too fiddly! I just read some of the threads on here and other sites from people who had done it already. I did damp the rods with silent coat though to ensure they didn't ring.

Why give the mid-dome such a narrow frequency respond?, it should be the best part of the system, its shame to not give it more "space" imo :)
That was the cross point between the mid\dome in the old cabinet?

You should read the thread. Most of the info you are looking for is in the first post. Check the freq response of the dome.
500-4000 would be max. But it is all a delicate compromise between lobing, dispersion, and distortion.
All speaker design is compromise. Some people worry about intermodulation distortion and therefore advocate only covering a limited range per driver, some are firmly into the single full range driver camp covering it all with a 5 inch cone.
Pick your poison. ;)

Well. Very roughly dialled in with some basic eq and LR4 crossovers... So pleased. Turned up to crazy levels, enclosures are vibration free (probably helped using spheres and that all freq below 80 hz are dealt with by subs).
The subs are scary. Really scary. It is bizarre to see and feel the SWRs moving in and out by an inch and then put a hand on the tube and feel nothing. Weird. Their output is also insane, the ceiling started vibrating when listening to the intro to 'money for nothing'.
Can't wait to start getting proper measurements to dial them in really well.

Imaging so far is easily as good as the synergies. This anti-diffraction malarkey clearly has merit. Overall, so far overjoyed. :D:D:D

Attachments

• IMG_20170609_085655.jpg
    IMG_20170609_085655.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 451
Glad they are rewarding you after all the effort :)

Do the subs just sit on the floor? Somehow I was expecting to see bamboo risers and sorbothane :)

bushmeister,

Wicked! :D

Cheers guys!
Fluid you made me laugh!
Currently they are just on rubber feet. I was planning exactly what you suggested, but there is no vibration off them at all, so no need for sorbothane! I may also ultimately have them standing upright in the corners of the music room when it is finally done, so I haven't yet decided on their arrangement.

OK, so finally got some decent measurements done...

I am shocked by the effect placing both the tweeter and particularly the Volt VM752 into minimally diffracting spherical enclosures has had upon the polar responses.

The Volt particularly was always a nightmare to manage, with a fairly uneven frequency response and a really nasty dip around 2500hz, which you could EQ on axis, but would of course then have an off axis issue.

Check out these polars - particularly the volt dome, the polar response has been transformed!
620388d1497009544-great-balls-prestige-tweeter-horizontal-polar.jpg

620389d1497009544-great-balls-prestige-volt-horizontal-polar.jpg

Attachments

• Tweeter horizontal polar.jpg
    Tweeter horizontal polar.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 676
  • Volt horizontal polar.jpg
    Volt horizontal polar.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 928
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.