Geddes on Waveguides

The technology has advanced well beyond this. See the body of work referenced in the attached paper [1] The wide spectrum shapes produced, bear a marked resemblance to the shape of a L'Cleac'h horn. I suspect that the ideal bounding condition can be achieved by adjusting the parameters of a Euler's (Cornu's) Spiral Segment [2]. For horns with sectional aspect ratios > 1, the modeling challenge is increased by at least a magnitude in difficulty.

Regards,

WHG

[1]
Title: Fixed-mesh curvature-parameterized shape optimization of an
acoustic horn
Authors: Fotios Kasolis, EddieWadbro & Martin Berggren

[2] Clothoid Curve
Cornu Spiral -- from Wolfram MathWorld
The mistake most people make is assume all drivers generate the same kind of wave, if you know exactly what the specific driver is doing, and design accordingly, the you are okay. Most research assume direct radiated plane wave, simplifies the research process but cannot be reliably applied to real situations.

I have built an elliptical OS and posted early in this thread.

Last edited:
'The vertical profile even narrows a few centimeters after the throat to compensate for the rapid extension in the horizontal plan"

POS,
This is a classic mathematical error in traditional radial horns. It is caused by the transition from the throat section to the flare section and was a common problem joining the two sections. This is driven by trying to follow the classic exponential expansion rate and you will see this in all the earlier Altec and JBL horns. This is one area that the old methods of looking only at expansion rate fail and don't account for directivity. There are better ways to do this and this is where you should look if you want to improve on a radial type horn.

Hello Kindhornman,

Yes it will cause what Hughes describes as an astigmatism in his QT paper, with a different apparent source location in the horizontal and vertical plan.

But is this really a problem?
I think it can be argued that having a narrowing in the vertical profile is probably better than having parallel walls like in the A290FL horn (or the smith horn, as an extreme example).
For one thing it helps with directivity.

The H9800 horn (used in the JBL S9800, with similar horns in the Everest2 and Array 1400 for example) has such a narrowing in the vertical plan (and a rather brutal transition, forming a diffraction slot). Its directivity indeed measure funky in the horizontal plan (as did the 2344 in the vertical plan, with the slot in the vertical plan) with a "wider than normal" horizontal directivity between ~3kHz and 8kHz (45° being above the on-axis signal at some points!). This is probably due to diffraction along the slot.

In the TH4003 there is no brutal transition tho: the profile is continuous so it might not have such problems.

Here are some measurements of its horizontal directivity behavior:
attachment.php

I'd say it is looks well behaved on paper, and listening reports are all very good.

Attachments

• TH4003.jpg
    TH4003.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:
At the Phase Plug Exit

The mistake most people make is assume all drivers generate the same kind of wave, if you know exactly what the specific driver is doing, and design accordingly, the you are okay. Most research assume direct radiated plane wave, simplifies the research process but cannot be reliably applied to real situations.

I have built an elliptical OS and posted early in this thread.

The drivers normally used with MF/HF horn come equipped with a phase plug, the output from which is the principal determinate of what the horn 'sees' acoustically. Ideally, for an OS horn, the wave exiting the plug should have a coherent, flat front, positioned at the apex of the bounding hyperbola. Typically there is approximately a magnitude of difference between the area of this surface and that of the driver diaphragm producing it.

Regards,

WHG

URL Added

Hi Bill, Earl
The problem with asymmetric patterns is that if one makes the simple way and has more than about 1.5:1 pattern aspect, it will produce enough pattern flip to be a problem.
The more asymmetric the simple horn is, the more pronounced the pattern flip is.
A classic example, the EV t-350/35 has similar shape of Patrick’s horn earlier which he noticed didn’t sound that good. The 350 had pattern flip that began around 10K and below and so to get wide horizontal dispersion, the recommended mounting was up and down not side to side. An oval mouth and it’s corresponding internal angles would be similar.
Our biggest horns at work don’t have pattern flip but they do have the mouth geometry that is needed as inferred through Keele’s pattern loss thumb rule. To lose pattern control in both planes at the same frequency (and avoid the problem) , if the horizontal pattern is twice the vertical angle, then the height has to be twice the width. This is the opposite profile of the simple horn and one has entered the realm of the astigmatic point source haha.
Best,
Tom Danley

"WHAT'S SO SACRED ABOUT EXPONENTIAL HORNS?"
D.B. Keele, AESP1038
http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/PDF/Keele (1975-05 AES Preprint) - Whats So Sacred Exp Horns.pdf

Last edited:
The drivers normally used with MF/HF horn come equipped with a phase plug, the output from which is the principal determinate of what the horn 'sees' acoustically. Ideally, for an OS horn, the wave exiting the plug should have a coherent, flat front, positioned at the apex of the bounding hyperbola. Typically there is approximately a magnitude of difference between the area of this surface and that of the driver diaphragm producing it.

Regards,

WHG
How do they verify the plane wave is achieved?
How does the compression factor effect the expansion profile? The more compression, the air velocity vector pattern will change.

Ideally, for an OS horn, the wave exiting the plug should have a coherent, flat front, positioned at the apex of the bounding hyperbola.

This is not exactly true, but it is to first order. In my book I show how a slight modification of the phase plug towards non-flat can suppress the first HOM. Whether this is worth the trouble or not is unknown.

How does the compression factor effect the expansion profile? The more compression, the air velocity vector pattern will change.

While I was at B&C we did some measurements of this. It is true for the most part at the lower end of the bandwidth, but not at the upper end.

I later did some work on how to measure the exit wave front in general and found that using a plane wave tube with mics spaced along the tube at known distances could determine the axisymmetric part of the wave front at the aperture to a fairly high degree of accuracy. If you rotate the driver on the tube you can get a very good idea of the whole wave front. I have always wanted to build one of these tubes, but the space requirements are beyond my means. (And the information is of questionable value if you can't change the driver anyways.)

The compression factor has no effect as long as the SPLs stay down below about 140 dB - which is virtually always going to be the case. The air is not perfectly linear but it is linear enough so as not to have a strong effect on the wave front shape.

Last edited:
Virtual [Sd] vs. REAL [Sd]

The higher the compression ratio the smaller the effective radiating area of the virtual piston the horn 'sees'. If you like, the driver piston characteristics (size particularly) are masked by the phase plug to a degree reflected by the compression ratio. The larger the piston, the lower the frequency that marks the onset of beaming. Due to the viscosity of air exhibited in small confined spaces, compression ratios over, say 10:1, are contraindicated.

Regards,

WHG

N.B., The horn acoustically begins at the phase plug exit, not at the arbitrarily point where the horn body is joined to the driver.

Last edited:
WFM Addendum

The higher the compression ratio the smaller the effective radiating area of the virtual piston the horn 'sees'. If you like, the driver piston characteristics (size particularly) are masked by the phase plug to a degree reflected by the compression ratio. The larger the piston, the lower the frequency that marks the onset of beaming. Due to the viscosity of air exhibited in small confined spaces, compression ratios over, say 10:1, are contraindicated.

Regards,

WHG

N.B., The horn acoustically begins at the phase plug exit, not at the arbitrarily point where the horn body is joined to the driver.

For acoustic wave front measurement see:

WaveMaster - Fast wavefront measurement - TRIOPTICS GmbH

While I was at B&C we did some measurements of this. It is true for the most part at the lower end of the bandwidth, but not at the upper end.

I later did some work on how to measure the exit wave front in general and found that using a plane wave tube with mics spaced along the tube at known distances could determine the axisymmetric part of the wave front at the aperture to a fairly high degree of accuracy. If you rotate the driver on the tube you can get a very good idea of the whole wave front. I have always wanted to build one of these tubes, but the space requirements are beyond my means. (And the information is of questionable value if you can't change the driver anyways.)

The compression factor has no effect as long as the SPLs stay down below about 140 dB - which is virtually always going to be the case. The air is not perfectly linear but it is linear enough so as not to have a strong effect on the wave front shape.
I am wondering whether it would be possible to glue little flaps at the exit of the phase plug along the radial direction and record with high speed camera. I think it would be tricky to get the wave front form and the velocity profile to both act like a plane wave would. Even if one cannot change the driver, you still want the relevant information to have better control how to match the horn.

SWAG

I am wondering whether it would be possible to glue little flaps at the exit of the phase plug along the radial direction and record with high speed camera. I think it would be tricky to get the wave front form and the velocity profile to both act like a plane wave would. Even if one cannot change the driver, you still want the relevant information to have better control how to match the horn.

You may be able to get some sort of picture with a strobe light, signal generator, an elastic membrane lightly stretched over a ring and some fine sand sprinkled on top. Place the driver exit, sans horn near the underside of the diaphragm. Run at different frequencies and distances and observe the patterns that emerge. I have not tried this, so it remains a SWAG.

Note: The generator needs to supply a trigger for the strobe.

The measurement problem is three fold, given a DIY non-commercial setting:

1. The measurement protocol needs to be transparent to the process you are trying to quantify.

2. The instrument to do this cost more than the DUT.

3. The degrees of design freedom are limited to the horn parameters only, and picking a driver to meet the intended mission. Beyond this, changing driver parameters is not tenable here as more instruments and manufacturing facilities would be required to implement them.

For an OS Horn design and driver picking of this horn type, follow Earl's recommendations. He has more experience here than most of the rest of us whgen put together.

In any event the flare tangent angle at the horn throat should march that of the driver exit.

Regards,

WHG