Geddes on Waveguides

I would endure poor people skills to get the right competent people. I taught speaker design for one semester, the head of the department stressed the importance of people skills to the students. It was my view that you did not even come into class if you can get all assignments done well, and the scoring system I laid out was very precise. They found out I meant business when almost half the class flunked. And they flunked simply because I could not give a score for nothing turned in, and that was how it averaged out. Did not expect to babysit graduate students.

Some Approximations

I have a question that does not require people skills: how does a section of golden spiral perform? Pretty much like any exponential, or no?

To a first approximation, would be the Tractrix.
Perhaps elements of JBL Biradial Horn as well.

The Le Cleac'h horn, approximates Euler's Spiral.
Here curvature is a function of curve length.

Regards,

WHG

I talked to some place that use Stratasys machines, they seem to do 0.01mm layer step, but sending a horn to do be printed like that was just as expensive as I had mine done using the traditional method, and was still smaller than 1 cubic ft. Talked with someone demoing a few DIY units that delivered what they called 0.05 mm step layer, seemed sufficient for studies for measurement purposes. Talked with them about getting it up to 1 cubic foot size, it seemed doable. Still surveying what other options are out there.

how about stacking CNC routed birch plywood rings? there are lots of CNC wood routers out there now, hobby desktop CNC routers can be bought for the cost of a larger waveguide's 3d printing material charge

and super accuracy, resolution isn't obviously needed with 1/16" already being ~ 1/10 wave @ 20 kHz

Last edited:
For those really large horns, wood NC is fine. For more frequent testing, when you think about the setup work, cleanup work, waste disposal, it is really more labor intensive, and the slope of the horn make it inaccessible for stable machining. If you also build a compression section into the horn, then you need to flip it over. Really not suitable for research stage work.

waveguide dimensions

I am thinking about adding a waveguide to a little tweeter.
It operates from 6kHz upwards.

The start of the wave guide has a radius, EG suggested around 2" (50mm) for this first transition to the conical "horn".
The mouth then has a a bigger radius to transition from the conical "horn" to the speaker baffle, EG suggested 4" (100mm).

But what about the actual conical "horn", the bit that gives the beam shape/width.

How long does the "cone" part need to be?
What range of half angle of cone is acceptable?
Does the angle and/or length depend on the range of frequencies that the driver must handle?

Am I correct in thinking that the throat radius and the mouth radius are there to attenuate/eliminate diffraction at a change in surface angle?

I've had a fair few prototypes created for work lately for some of our development products.
We've opted to go with CNC'ing as it gives a far greater finish than 3D printing.
The steps on a 3D printed part are noticable (even on a ~$90K ProJet printer).
With some of the materials, you can dip them in acetone to smooth them over.

I've been contemplating having some waveguides printed, and they would most likely need to be done in 2 parts (ie: cut your waveguide in half) and then adhered together.
It certainly would be a quick option, but having a prototype made of a part ~20cm x 25cm x 5cm currently costs us about ~$400 AUD... makes for an expensive waveguide.

The reason I like 3D printing concept is that it seems pretty much print and forget until it gets done. Not really smooth enough for real world listening, but sufficient for experimenting with different design concepts for technical evaluation.
The surface finish is not too bad with today's models. You might be able to get up to 20 kHz and each step would only be a 1/8wl discontinuity (math from memory).

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
How long does the "cone" part need to be?
What range of half angle of cone is acceptable?
Does the angle and/or length depend on the range of frequencies that the driver must handle?

Am I correct in thinking that the throat radius and the mouth radius are there to attenuate/eliminate diffraction at a change in surface angle?
The angle you choose will fit the application but 90 degrees makes sense as a baseline in a rectangular room, and maybe to 60, where the horn can get long covering the same band.

If the straight section were extended to cover the near-field of the low end (something I use as a starting point), you might find in a higher frequency waveguide that the mouth radius starts fairly close to where the throat roundover ends.

The mouth radius alleviates the reflection due to the impedance mismatch between the mouth and the room. At higher frequencies this is more localised toward the edges. The throat roundover is more of an attempt to follow the waves with the walls..if the driver were producing a spherical wave (as if from a point source) it would fit into a conical horn without the roundover at the throat.

Last edited: