• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB Group Buy Salas UltraFSP RIAA

Hi,

I just selected the 62db gain for my MC cart.
Having left idling for 3 hours and adjusted the TP for 4.00V

However, I realized that the TP voltage is hard to lock on to 4V as stated in the manual.
It can go as high as 5'ish Vdc when powered up cold and back down lowered to 3.5 'ish Vdc later when operating for a few hours.

Is this normal?
Or did I do any steps above wrongly?

Other than the above, the phono amp sounds fabulous!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Exaggerated test point DC drift in MC modes is normal. Especially in max gain LMC. That's due to the dual 2SK369s lively thermal behavior when run in high Id mA. Strong drain current bias and small value source pin resistors are beneficial to achieve lowest noise spec in MC modes as most needed.
Much less T.P. drift is noticeable in MM setting because a single 2SK369 and a much higher value source pin to ground resistor are selected. Id and gain go down as a result. So the local DC & AC feedback control on the input JFET goes up.

What MC cart you use?

In any case your phono build works as expected. Happy to know that you like its sound!

Nagaoka MP150 is punchy, musical, and seems to handle transient better. Vocals are more localized.
DL103 is more mellow, with airy vocals but less punchy.
My first time trying MC, surprised to see MC mode is even quieter than MM mode in the background.
With tonearm lifted, i can crank up vol to max and hear some hiss, i can't do that when in MM mode!

I will probably ignore the Jfets temp drift and just enjoy the music.
Thanks Salas for your great phono design!

Reactions: 1 user
I've collected most of the necessary items and I'm about to start building tape head pre with these boards. Salas had posted some tape head circuits here: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/preamp-for-reel-to-reel.222113/#post-3213006 Those circuits use 2sk170s for the first stage amplification and the ufsp uses 2sk369. Is someone able to calculate the db gain of the tape head circuits so I can set the proper gain in the ufsp? Or, better yet, provide a description on how to calculate the value? I've searched and think I have a formula, but I'm not sure how to get the gm value and the the db numbers I get don't add up to a sane number

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just a notice.
The Group Buy will be closing on April 2 2023.
To those who signed up on spreadsheet, and private message with details has been sent.
For those who I have email address, invoices have been sent.
Please let me know if there are any questions prior to the group buy closure time, and pay accordingly.