Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Alpair 7 and UM8 FAST.

This is going to a friend along with the center and bipoles I previously posted for an entire 5 channel set. Final crossover frequency will be tuned at his house. My theory is a little higher than normal can work (125 or even 150 Hz) because the danger of sub localization is mostly mitigated with the subwoofer is integrated into the front sound stage.

Currently testing with music crossed over at 150 Hz to the UM8s. I double ported the Alpair 7 enclosure to provide a few different tuning options depending on room response and desired crossover.

Really happy with how these sound, the Alpair 7 has great detail, finesse and texture and is free to play loud and clean with the UM8s taking bass duties. The dual UM8s provide very ample and satisfying bass.

Attachments

• PSX_20200905_105453.jpg
    PSX_20200905_105453.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 1,429
  • PSX_20200905_104221.jpg
    PSX_20200905_104221.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 1,401
  • PSX_20200905_104026.jpg
    PSX_20200905_104026.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 1,377
full range...….

well, coaxes have always been allowed...…………………..

and now fast systems are good to go here.

Can't yap about fast setups on multiway forum (fawt ? full range augmented woofer, i'm trying to get the phrase off the ground) because unless it has a tweeter or is a 3-way, get ready for an argument...…………….

Last edited:
I have completed a build for the Mark Audio 12P. Using a horn loaded design, I wasn't sure what to expect. I quit testing/listening drivers when I heard the 12P and completed the project. Let me just say that I am now nearly done with a servo-sub project using a GR 12" driver. In short, I have missed this level fidelity for a very long time.

laugh if you want, but I have not a clue how to post a photo of this speaker system. Too bad really.
OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA — ImgBB

Yes, toobhed, it is. Thanks for noticing. The lighter wood is 1 1/2" box elder, and the ribboned dark strips are as far as I can tell, a type of redwood. I have had these two pieces in my shop for years wondering to make with them. here is a shot of the final product. The adapter ring was going to show, so I decided to make it from 1/8" brass. It is no safe cut to make with a router jig, but there were no other options.
OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA — ImgBB

Many thanks Cindra for the help.

>>>>>>>>> Yes, this is sort of the cut away of the horn with even the front baffle missing. It should be noted that the top, bottom, and bottom half of the front baffle are made from 3/'4" Corian. I have always wanted to use this material in a speaker build, but doubt that I ever will again. It is pretty rough on router bits, and probably saw blades as well.
>>>>>>>The bass horn sees little bass since I have been using 80hz as the crossover frequency for the sub. That very well may go a bit lower, say to 50hz or so.

Wait, that horn looks like a horn without a driver. I'm imagining a baffle or wall attached to the right side. If the driver should be on the left wall, there isn't enough clearance for any driver I can think of (that and it's in an odd location in the horn path). On the other hand, the big space to the upper right is sealed off from the horn itself if that is where the driver is installed. So that driver mounting would really amount to a simple sealed box speaker. I must be missing something. How does this thing work? BTW, it's nicely built whatever the case!

Yes, I built the original DNA that you are referring to. I really liked the 10P driver that I used in it, but sold them because the bass wasn't enough for my taste. Then the DNA2 came out, which really is just an enlarged DNA by about 30%, I forget. Anyway, driver size was enlarged to an 8" driver. Like you, drivers that I tried were colored beyond listening for only a few minutes. When I bought the 12P, it all ended there. The 12P had same sonic signature as it's smaller sibling, with more bass extension. Having said that, bass still depended on closer proximity to the rear wall than I would like. So, yes, the idea of a sub bass unit came to mind. Trouble is, I did not have the experience that I wanted using the passive sub that I had built years earlier. I have ended up making making my own servo bass unit (I should say the cabinet for a servo bass unit), and the experience so far is beyond what I had hoped for. The chosen product is from GR research, which is one of the 12" designs that they offer. The enjoyment and involvement into music comes from the completion of some notes, and the relief for the 12P to do more with less.