Frugel-Horn Mk3

Those are beautiful! I haven't even finished my SuperPensil12's but really like the looks of these and totally want to try them out. I'm running out of room! LOL!

Scott,

Colin Topps aka Toppsy is an ace builder - his handiwork is impeccable - inspires me but loooong way to go achieve such nice fit and finish.

Looks like you've been bitten by the same bug :D I am also running out of room with my builds... badly want to build a horn though - FH Mk3 and Lotus are on my shortlist.

Originally posted byJemraid
Dear Colin,

May I use the pic above on my little web page please.

With accreditation of course [there's already some there but linked to the pic on the Frugal Horn site]

Jim

Sure you can Jim.

Originally posted by Chrisb
The Alpair7 or CSS EL70s in the FH3 mounted near a corner could well be too fat bottomed for some folks - I certainly found that.

I agree Chris and with all the MA drivers they require extra polyester stuffing placed below the driver. The amount adjusted to taste and speaker location. To help prevent the stuffing falling out the bottom of the horn section I install a wire mesh shelf abot 20" below the driver.

Last edited:
Couldn't find a way to add an image of the mesh shelf to my post above so here ya go:

MDF build, I know :p but these are to be paint finished for someone. ;)

Attachments

• P5190286.JPG
    P5190286.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 616
Neat. What's the mesh do? Keep out the weasels?

keeps the loose dacron fill from falling too far down the expanding section of the path

not all drivers will necessarily need fill below the driver, but in the instances of those that do, at only 140 mm wide and approx 76mm deep directly the driver, and 38mm at the choke point, there's not a lot of room for access if any falls to the bottom of the first fold

Hello all,

Three days ago I put up my little FH3 page, link below, using Google.co.uk and typing into the search: Frugal Horn Mk3 it comes up No 5, No 4 is the FH page [now deleted] that I put up together with my Needle pages.

I have not registered this with Google but what I have done is to use the same words; in the title [the blue bit at the top of your browser] in the description [hidden] and in the text on the page.

One hear's a lot about SEO [search engine optimisation] it's all bulls**t. I teach companies to do their own brochure websites and I guarantee the first ten for any business in a given area without spending a penny.

If anyone who wants to promote the FH, would like me to look at their site and offer a few suggestions I will be only too pleased to do so.

Jim

A discussion in another thread mentioned selling items to audiophiles at what may seem to us to be vastly inflated prices. Apparently they won't buy anything that's low priced, take the Gain Card 2 amps + 2 power supples = $7,300.

The advertising seems to be full of bull***t and snake oil.

It may be that someone who would like to make the FH3's would need something like this;
The most distinctive loudspeaker to come out of the Frugel stable since its inception.

I've tried to combine the DIY angle with the designers expertise and bring out what happened when the prototypes were made.

This would be free to anyone who wants it but please do ask first.

Jim