Frugel-Horn Mk3

Thanks gychang nice of you :)

I put up that little page yesteday afternoon and was surprised this morning to see that 112 people had looked at it, it just shows how much interest there is in the design.

Not everyone is going to be able to make a pair but I suspect many would like to own them, I would like to put some information about the flat packs that are available on the page.

I know you are doing some Dave, and if you would like a link on my page would you let me know the one you would like people to use to find you.

Anyone else who does flat packs is more than welcome to have a link, please contact me through the site.

Jim

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I know you are doing some Dave, and if you would like a link on my page would you let me know the one you would like people to use to find you.

Yes, that would be good. I am going to put links to all the FH3 flat-packers once i get a chance to update the frugal-horn.com pages. You'll get linked too.

Anyone else who does flat packs is more than welcome to have a link, please contact me through the site.

Colin/Toppsy in the UK, and Ben/Thornspawn in Oz so far. (Warning: site contains flash).

dave

Thanks Dave,

I've put this on my little page at the top;
For those who would prefer to buy a CNC precut flatpack;
In Australia; SOUND WITH STYLE - CUSTOM LOUDSPEAKERS
In North America: Dave at planet_10 hifi
In the UK: Colin Topps through the the DIY Audio site [link as soon as it's available]
The above will be updated as the information becomes available.

Colin, may I ask you for a link for enquiries please.

I can alter the wording on the page in seconds so if anyone wants anything altered I can do it straightaway.

Jim

It’s been a while since last I posted on this thread and since then I have hand built two flat-pack kits, (more on these later), another pair of completed speakers with MA CHP70 drivers (Maple veneer) for Chris (not our Chriby but another Chris) and the pair of speakers you see posted below. These have the MA Alpair7 and are finished in acrylic varnished Ash veneer.

I have now have built these speakers for the following drivers and gained an impression of the performance of each against the others:
• Fostex FE126En (with treated driver cone to help tame the 6kHz peak shreek!)
• Mark Audio CHP70
• Mark Audio CHR70 (Gen 1 version driver)
• Mark Audio Alpair7

Sorry to all you lovers of the Fostex sound out there, but of all these drivers my least favourite is the Fostex in this design.:sad:

No surprises there as I understand things the FH3 speakers were never designed by Scott with this driver as the mainstream contender. The FH3’s were primarily designed for the MA range of 70mm drivers. i.e the three mentioned above. But due the forgiving load of the speakers they will work fine with many other 3” and 4” FR drivers the Fostex FE127 included. However, the FE126En is too much in-yer-face for my liking and lacks the bass any of the MA drivers. Little wonder with an Xmax of 0.35mm, against the Xmax of say the Alpair7 of 4.4mm one-way! The only thing the Fostex have going in their favour is greater efficiency of around 94dB/W against the MA of around 85dB/W.

In my listening tests all three of the MA excel in this design but I have to say the Alpair7’s are my personal favourite. Much as I love the paper coned CHP70’s for their natural and warm sound (especially with a valve amp) the A7’s are just that more refined a sound with better defined bass and a crisper high end and more dynamic. My only bitch regards the CHP70’s is they don’t go quite as high as the metal coned CHR70 and A7.

I have put stay to the fully CNC routed flat pack kits. A long story really. But basically down to the high initial outlay cost and the need to purchase a minimum order for 10-kits. And with me still being out of full time employment, I could not afford to have several hundred pounds worth of cut ply as dead money awaiting potential orders.

However, the good news is I’m prepared to make up kits to order using basic CNC flat-bed saw cut sheet ply and then hand routing the side panels and driver cut outs etc. using the templates I have made for my early builds. Biscuit cut slots and joints will be employed to aid accurate panel location and assembly. I have done this now on a couple of kits and they have worked out fine.

Next up is to make a pair out of BBPly for the CHP70. I have previously used 18mm MDF using this driver and very fine they sound indeed. However this will put to rest in my own mind what (if any) sonic improvements/gains I can hear between the two. I have an open mind on the outcome.

P5130278.JPG

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No surprises there as I understand things the FH3 speakers were never designed by Scott with this driver as the mainstream contender.

That is not true, The design goal was to be able to handle both. Scott didn't think that FE126 would do as well in the bass and that it might be a problem. Turns out that that is true, but it is really a case of, in a corner situation bass with FE126 is just fine, and for the EL70/A7 for instance can be too much if not knocked back with damping.

This is an example of reality being a better situation than the theory.

Chris' favorite drivers in FH3 are FE126eN^2 (admittedly a different beast than stock FE126En), mine A7eN (BTW, Scott now has his A7eN). With close to 10 dB difference in efficiency the amp plays a decided role in this.

The beauty of the FH3 is that it has turned out even more versatile than envisoned, and thi splays perfectly into the needs/likes of a diverse range of people/tastes.

Nice FH3 Toppsy...

dave

That is not true, The design goal was to be able to handle both. Scott didn't think that FE126 would do as well in the bass and that it might be a problem. Turns out that that is true, but it is really a case of, in a corner situation bass with FE126 is just fine, and for the EL70/A7 for instance can be too much if not knocked back with damping.

This is an example of reality being a better situation than the theory.

Chris' favorite drivers in FH3 are FE126eN^2 (admittedly a different beast than stock FE126En), mine A7eN (BTW, Scott now has his A7eN). With close to 10 dB difference in efficiency the amp plays a decided role in this.

The beauty of the FH3 is that it has turned out even more versatile than envisioned, and this plays perfectly into the needs/likes of a diverse range of people/tastes.

Nice FH3 Toppsy...

dave

FWIW, there's more back story to my "preference" for the FE126E in this enclosure than Colin is probably aware of - I think Dave and Scott understand.

For me the impact of this design is all about the sensitivity, in yur face dynamics and soundstage presentation - which the 126 in any dress certainly delivers. To be honest, it's been quite a few months (actually probably since last summer?) since I heard the FH3 with any driver, and when we get around to documenting our next demo build of flat pak kits (hopefully as soon as this weekend) it'll be time to revisit.

Scott didn't think that FE126 would do as well in the bass and that it might be a problem. Turns out that that is true, but it is really a case of, in a corner situation bass with FE126 is just fine, and for the EL70/A7 for instance can be too much if not knocked back with damping.

Did you just say too much bass? I'd generally be inclined to believe you. if i though there was such a thing. :)