freeDSP-aurora - DSP with 8 I/Os, USB Audio, S/P-DIF, ADAT, Bluetooth and Wifi contro

Hello Friends,

Here is my take on a simple and (hopefully) cost effective way to build a "custom" input and output solution based on the "FreeDSP_analogIO" type connector found on the FreeDSP Aurora.

Yes this is very simple. Yes it's somewhat pointless because you could also purchase chassis mounts. You could also solder directly to the pins and bypass the PCB altogether. But I think this is more robust. I also think that the PCB connectors are cheaper than the chassis connectors. I hope that the cost of the connector and the PCB is less than the chassis mounts, time will tell.

The concept offers a header pin for a 6 pin IDE, or you can solder some bulk cable to the board directly via the solder pads, and then on the other end of the shielded wire lead you can put on some "pololu" crimp connector housings. Use either 2x3 pin or just straight up 1 pin housings.

I didn't include any EMI filters on the board but it's pretty straight forward to add though, this is just version 0.5 in order to get my idea out there. The idea is to cover most of the main connector types that users would come across, and make these boards all open source on github.

PS - the addon boards on the aurora use NC3FAH footprints. There is an NC3FAH2 that just adds one more hole. It's worth adding that hole to the footprint in case you want to use the v2 models.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 889
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 883
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 879
Last edited:
@JayShoe: Good job!

@mellowroni: Assembled boards for non-backers will hopefully available after the summer holidays. Atm. manufacturing the boards for the backers has the highest priority. The PCBA factory is currently doing the job.

@all: I have made an installer for Windows 64-bit for the auverdionControl app. You can find it here:
Releases * freeDSP/freeDSP-aurora * GitHub
This will install a version that is already very close to v1.0.0. Only bugfixes and minor changes will be made from now on. New features will come after the release of v1.0.0.
I hope I did everything right. It seems much more complex to deploy an app on Windows then on macOS. Feel free to try the app yourself and let me know when you have trouble with installing or running it.

Raphael

Anyone else got their Aurora up and running?
I just wanted to see if I could get the AuverdionControl to access via WiFi, but I've had no success so far. The AP-freeDSP-aurora network is visible, but my pc is unable to connect.

Do we have to go through with all the configuration steps in the Getting Started document?
Programming the ESP32.
Programming the XMOS.
Upload DSP plugin?

Ok. No then you don't have to go though the steps in the GettingStarted.pdf. This document is only for those who solder the board themself.

What is exactly the issue? You said your PC (Win7? Win10? macOS? Linux?) does see the access point, right? Then you should be able to establish an adhoc WiFi connection to this access point. Does that work or does it fail there already?

Raphael

OK, I'm making progress here. It was a silly mistake with my wireless adapter set to a static IP-address.
I'm connected to the Aurora now, and I was able to change and store parameters with the AuverdionControl program.
No audio I/O connections yet. Need to order some cables and connectors.
Looking forward to playing around with this.

I eventually want to use SigmaStudio to make the configuration for my setup.
I have the freeUSBi and I need to make the cable to connect to X104.
How is the upload from AuverdionControl done to store the config?
I noticed the other .dspproj files in the Sources\SigmaStudio folder, but these are not visible in the AuverdionControl settings page.

Getting Started

I've read through the getting started PDF, but the last time I worked on a DIY project was 10 years ago and all of the parts I needed came in the kit...so I have a few questions. :)

1. My understanding is that the minimum I need to pass audio is analog IO connections and a power supply. Correct?
  2. What are you mounting your board in? Some kind of rack-mount case would be easiest, but I want to make it as small and portable as possible, so I'm looking for a small case and then I guess I would have to do some kind of breakout cable for all of the analog IO. If you could point me towards a couple of options, it would be a big help.
  3. What power supply are you using?
  4. It seems like the freedsp.cc website is down. Any idea where I can get the add-on board for 8 channel loudspeaker management?
  5. It seems like Wifi is built into the board and there's nothing else I need to use it, correct?
  6. The added functionality I need that, I think, is not included in auverdionControl is a matrix so that I can send one input to all eight outputs and the ability to load separate FIR filters into each of the outputs. Can I modify auverdionControl to do this? Do I need SigmaStudio to accomplish this?
  7. What's the difference between dspControl and auverdionControl?

Thanks!

I noticed the other .dspproj files in the Sources\SigmaStudio folder, but these are not visible in the AuverdionControl settings page.

Yes connect USBi to x104, I guess AudverdionControl uses ESP32 (wireless) route. See page 24 on GettingStarted.pdf.

You can build your DSP plugin with StudioStudio an download it via X104 for testing.
For storing it non-volatile you have to click on Export System Files in SigmaStudio. This will create two files: NumBytes_IC_1.dat and TxBuffer_IC_1.dat. These two files you can upload via auverdionControl.

For release 0.9.9 it is bit inconvenient:
Depending on your OS you have to find these files in the folder 8channels. For macOS it is in auverdionControl.app/Contents/Resources, for Windows it is in the program installation folder. Replace the files with the new ones from SigmaStudio and install the plugin via auverdionControl.

Please note: This is just a quick&dirty hack for now. I am currently busy with making everything right for the release of 1.0.0 which will make the installation of dsp plugins much more easier.

Raphael