freeDSP-aurora - DSP with 8 I/Os, USB Audio, S/P-DIF, ADAT, Bluetooth and Wifi contro

@cacao ambiance: Yes I am planning to do that. A first quick&dirty test showed that it builds on Linux without trouble. But I did not a full verification of function on Linux, yet. Btw. you can try that yourself by downloading the source code from github and compile it with QT Creator on Linux.

@Mark/all: You can writ eme a message either via kickstarter or via diyaudio PM. I will reply to both.

thanks, maybe ill try it... but as i have no hardware, i guess theres not much i can test? if it is likey that it will fully work on gnu/linux systems and will get updates and fixes like the mac/windows builds. Then i am tempted to pledge or pre-order for a aurora board.

How much are connections add-on boards likely to cost and the Aul case? Could i order the case + addon connections board and put it together my self for less cost? Else how much is a connections addon board on its own likely to cost?

What is the power consumption of the Aurora? Less than laptop running as dsp? I hope :D

Been after a free software dsp. Was thinking of using laptop but if this is ready made with free software to control it, im quite tempted :).

Been looking at old car dsp units 2rd hand.
Alpine h700:
only 6 channels (5.1).
10w+~? computer consumption.
with noisy analogue inputs but there are cheap. going to see if spdif input bypasses noisy analogue input, else some newer dsp would be nicer.
Newer car dsp are £300+ 2rd hand. So at that point Aurora or laptop is quite attractive :D. mmh at last a freedsp that is ready made and that i can use via free software GUI yum :) Balanced in/outputs too :D

If you don't know anything about branches as a concept in version control systems it's difficult to find anything. By default the branch "master" is chosen, you got to change the branch to "develop" (in this case) to find the one you are looking for, but then there are the feature branches and else. Might be good idea to document the usage of branches on master branches README.md as it's the one the users land first.

Quick note about the addon modules.

I personally think we should have a bunch of add-on boards, but mix/match them for different purposes. For example

- 1x RCA (L/R) board
- 2x RCA (L/R + L/R) board
- 2x 3.5mm board
- 2x XLRF board
- 2X XLRM board
- Etc.

Then you buy (1) 2x 3.5, (1) 2x XLRF, and (1) 2x XLRM, for example to get the input/output connections you want. This idea would be as opposed to having "add-on a" and "add-on b". We'd have the connector boards, and a way to just mix and match them.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? I've done a lot of thinking about it and just want to throw it out there. Not asking for help doing it because I can help to design it in Kicad, but I think this is easier than having more specialized boards...

What's everyone's thoughts on this? I've done a lot of thinking about it and just want to throw it out there. Not asking for help doing it because I can help to design it in Kicad, but I think this is easier than having more specialized boards...

To some extent you could simply use the main board connector with a ribbon cable and split it out directly to the desired connector, I am unaware of a chassis mount optical receiver or output though.

The lowest complexity add-on board solution would be a breakout board with pin headers and solder pads. XLR and RCA connectors are available in chassis mount so there is really no strict need to have a daughter board assembly with gangs of connectors mounted.

Tried compiling dspControl. On this old ubuntu install.

qmake then make got me this error:
Code:
/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtGui -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtNetwork -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtCore -I. -I. -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -o main.o main.cpp
In file included from MainWindow.hpp:10:0,
                 from main.cpp:1:
src/figure/QFigure.h:15:22: fatal error: typedefs.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:672: recipe for target 'main.o' failed
make: *** [main.o] Error 1

Tried apt-cache search QFigure but no results that looked like it.
Can try on laptop with has current version of ubuntu installed.... hmm

Perhaps a Dependency List would help?

On which git branch are you working?
The latest develop commit should contain everything you need. There are no external dependencies except QT. Please make sure that you are linking against Qt5.12. Ubuntu usually comes with an outdated version of QT.
I can check it tomorrow. Could be that some paths in .pro file need to be updated.

It might be nice if all the options available and pricing were added to the first post, I've only been able to locate the AddOn-B? Is the AddOn-B included in the €195 Ready-to-Run First Edition?

Where does one find more info about the implementation of hardware controls and display, I noticed there was a way to add a rotary encoder with pushbutton?

Last edited: