Free Parts Essay Contest

My experience too, offering my own parts from my personal stash most folks decline.

@Scott: Happy to take a box of unobtainium devices off you. I just have a guilt over being unlikely to do anything with them for the next 10 years!

And for many of us, there's also the guilt of not being able to do anything helpful for some of you in return. It's nice enough to hang out and glean a little knowledge, it can be hard to ask for more than that (especially gratis), even when it's offered.

Any of the folks who already have their freebies want to comment?

To my wife, anything electronic is "a speaker"- because if it's not a speaker, it has something to do with a speaker. At least in my house.
She opened the box when it came in, because she assumed it was a speaker, and it sounded like it might be broken. My son asked what was in the box and she said, "it looks just like everything else he has in *that* room."

Within a moment of peeking inside, I dug out an R-Core transformer and parts for a power supply. Pretty sure I see the makings of a capacitance multiplier in there, too. I'm still digging, but there are lots of odds and ends in the box, big e-caps, film caps, passive and semiconductors, switches and relays, some curious things to try and figure out. I don't recall mentioning an interest in space flight, but if I attempt to leave the magnetosphere, there may even be a little something useful for that.

Ed, it's very kind of you to share with the diy audience at your expense. If anyone would like something but is hesitant, I encourage you to go ahead and ask. Obviously he's happy to do this.

Thank you!

Attachments

• PS.jpg
    PS.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 176
Hmm, not sure if I'm still supposed to write an essay, but I might as well put some effort in!

I recently got into amplifiers and audio because I found a box of tubes that my dad had. They were apparently pulls out of several old pieces of equipment that he had, and decided to get rid of. The other thing he had was an old Hammond organ chassis, which was pretty damaged, but still had good transformers. I built up a simple 6V6 amp with parts from that, and I've kind of been hooked on tube amplification ever since. In fact, at this point I know more about tubes than SS stuff. Not sure that's a good thing in this day and age. Being in high school during a pandemic, I've definitely got more time than money, so anything I can get is very appreciated!

After launching into the 6V6 amp, I was left wanting more power, so I've launched into my next project, which will hopefully be a monoblock with a pair of EL34s!

I'm also interested in learning about solid state amps after getting my basic tube theory down. I guess mostly what I need are power supply parts at this point!

Thanks, and I hope this is what you were looking for in terms of an essay!

obh

Joined 2016
Paid Member
My experience too, offering my own parts from my personal stash most folks decline.

Scott,

I would not mind receiving some unobtainium from you! :D:D
Not sure I'd be worthy though...

The last days I've traveled back home to my parents. My father
has had sea-fishing and boats as hobby and collected a lifespan worth of
rusty nails, metal scrap, ropes, fishing nets, lobster pots, buoys, tools, and
whatever. Everything was collected...nothing thrown away (war time
experiences..). But now my father has begun journey into dementia. So us
children did a three days stunt to clean up the house. We did a garage sale
that sold a few of the most popular items. And before that we got nearest
friends to come collect items. But most of the stash went to the bin. Sure
some of it was junk. But a lot was valuable. It was a both a heartbreaking and relieving experience. I just wish my father could have participated before
it was too late. He would have managed to give away more. But life
happens. And suddenly there are no time.