Fixed gain field recorder?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK Marcel - 2 boards on their way here and I will pass one of them off to you for trails. Can I use rePhase to make a filter I'd like to have? - how are filter defined - purely in math/code? The one you showed above is fine... no problem with it whatsoever - just wondered...

//

I never heard of rePhase, but if you can generate a .coe file with it, you can load that into the FIR filter with the Xilinx ISE FIR compiler before running synthesis and implementation. The .coe file of a FIR filter is just a text file with a radix definition (like radix = 10 for decimal numbers) and a bunch of coefficients that define the impulse response.

In fact you can make a .coe file with several coefficient sets and tell the FIR compiler that there are several coefficient sets. The FIR filter will then get selection inputs that can be connected to FPGA inputs, so you can choose on the fly between the sets.

Mind you, I intend to combine the last decimation stage (decimation from 352.8 kHz to 88.2 kHz) and the CIC filter roll-off compensation into one FIR filter to reduce the required hardware and the number of rounding steps. The coefficients you would like to have then have to be convolved with those of the CIC filter roll-off compensation. I use a simple home-made Pascal program for that.

By the way, a CIC filter is a very basic linear-phase FIR filter that is extremely hardware efficient, but it can only have a very smooth roll-off. It's basically a clever way to make a cascade of moving average filters. It's often used for the first decimation steps in a decimation chain.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
When I read your answer I feel I should probably best stay out of the filter realisation discussion :)

I will be very satisfied if it has the shape (FR/phase) we discussed above and really low distorsion.

But maybe the prioritised characteristics is to have the stop band pushed downwards a low as absolutely possible above Fs/2...

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member

I assume there is no need for a digital high-pass filter, as you can remove the offset (which will be large, -20 dBFS or so) and any subsonics in your DAW. Is that a correct assumption?

Well, ideally I would only like to do attenuation (bit shifts in the DAV + splitting the recording into "tracks" - thas all really. I'm nor so sure about its filtering quality as it relies on plugins from Apple etc...

So maybe a good HP would be nice to have!?

I plan to do any needed resampling with Sopran which seem to offer very high quality re-sampling... if not the best - despite that I have to resort to my PC laptop or my Virtualbox emulator... :(

Sopran:

Tolvan Data

//

Attachments

• insane.png
    insane.png
    25 KB · Views: 88

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Batteries, capsules and more components slowly arriving :)

And I'm sure there are things missing. Like a case for the EVM and one for batteries etc... quite some way to go and the rockiest remain.. :) maybe a little round circuit board after all...

//

Regarding decimation and offset suppression, I haven't worked out the details yet, but I'm pretty sure there are enough FPGA resources left to make a second-order Butterworth IIR high-pass at about 1 Hz by means of an extra feedback loop around the dithered rounding stage. That dithered rounding stage is needed anyway to reduce the word length from sixty-something bits to 24 bits. An IIR filter needs rounding to keep its wordlengths finite, so it makes sense to combine them and keep the total number of rounding stages as small as possible.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Wow - thats sounds high-tech :) Like it!!!

Transparency... thats all I need :)

Got 3pcs 18v 4AH batteries for 5€ each from Amazon.se Charger was 25 :-/

Now to get some sort of connector to these....

They came charged to 18,4V

//

Attachments

• batt.jpg
    batt.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re HP filtering...

Is it a question about either capacitor coupled inlets or an IIR? If I have caps, can I skip the IIR? If one can skip the IIR in place of caps, I might like a mode with no IIR/HP at all. To have some options and way to evaluate...

I'm perfectly OK with -1dB at 10 Hz... but maybe only -0,1 at 20 :)

//

The autocalibration mode I have in mind would give you no high-pass at all except for the first few seconds. After those seconds it just adds or subtracts a constant. So just activate it a few seconds before whatever you want to record starts.

With the circuit with the modified evaluation board, you need hundreds of microfarads for AC coupling with only 0.1 dB of roll-off at 20 Hz, but with the circuits based on noninverting amplifiers like Scott's circuits, much smaller values can be used. In either case, an AC coupling cap or other type of analogue high-pass filter will not suppress the offset of the ADC itself.