Fixed gain field recorder?

Wouldn't it be more convenient to put two run-of-the-mill LDOs that can handle 25 V between the batteries and the low-noise regulators? Just let them regulate down to +/- 18 V and go in dropout when the battery voltage is too low to reach +/- 18 V. Of course you can still add an indicator to check the battery voltage, but at least you can normally charge the batteries then.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes a pre-regulator to be able to use them fully charged would probably in the end give so much run time that I do not need to have any meters on them. And if it turned out that it would be good, I could probably allow myself to put these cheap ones "north" of the pre-regulators which would probably filter out most of any dirt before the main ones. Jepp - 3 regulators that do 18V and can take say 25. Dont have to be to fancy regs really.

//

Does the 3rd leg of those 3-terminal regulators stop drawing current as they approach dropout? A 10 ohm resistor and comparator could light a LED when they're no longer regulating.

BTW, I don't think there will be much dirt coming from the Li-ion batteries -- they're probably quieter than most sources.

Cheers

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The batteries BMS goes inte hard current limit it seems when I tested above and the batt approched 18,2.

The dirt I'm worried about is what may come out of these: ARCELI 0,56 tum DC 0–30 V digital voltmeter spanningstestare matare ljus LED-skarm 3 tradar Volt matare for motorcykel bil motorpanel montering – bla : Amazon.se: Bygg, el & verktyg

Thanks for all suggestions and hints - appreciated.

Marcel, I think the pin assignment is fine. I suppose it would be possible to change if for some reason it would be beneficial?

What kind of switches do I need - bounce or make?

//

Just a simple rotary switch with four positions should do, it doesn't even matter whether it is break before make or make before break. The common contact has to be grounded. The pin assignment can indeed be changed, although there are some limitations on where mck can be put.

Attached is my first attempt to come up with a configuration file for the FPGA. It is likely to be full of bugs, as I haven't simulated or tested anything yet. At least it fits in the FPGA and meets the timing, assuming the FPGA has speed grade 2. The FIR filter and CIC filter were generated with Xilinx FIR compiler 5.0 and CIC compiler 2.0, respectively.

I haven't figured out how to directly generate a .bin file. It is claimed on several reliable-looking websites that you can just take the .bit file and delete the header before the row of FFs, so that's what I did.

Attachments

• decimation_v0.zip
    83.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Your efforts are very much appreciated Marcel. It will be some time before we can test this but I'm looking forward to it. I'm in re-location state which makes things a bit harder but I will keep this up as I "move along".

I will look for a switch and post a link for scrutinisation :)

//

I fixed all the bugs that I could find by reasonably short simulations, included a clipping detector and improved the constraints a bit. I think you have a good chance that this will work, see the attachment. The .bin file should be all you need, but I included the source code for completeness and for anyone who might be interested.

LED9 is used as a clipping LED now (the ones on the evaluation module don't work with an external digital filter). You can connect an extra LED with its own 330 ohm series resistor in parallel with it if you like, using connector SV2 pin 50.

Attachments

• decimation_v1.zip
    565.3 KB · Views: 45

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Spiffing :-D

I received the FPGA boards - surprisingly quick I have to say. I will put one in the post tomorrow to you Marcel.

Really to hot here (31C) to build recording system ;) It will go slow.... :cool:

//

Attachments

• rec_fpga.jpg
    rec_fpga.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 84

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Made the boards for the spheres. Drilling the 12mm hole for the capsule will be a bit of a challenge for me with very limited metal craft tools etc... this is stainless... I got soic adapter boards to manage the OP-amps...

Parcel to Marcel :)

//

Attachments

• mics_pcb.jpg
    mics_pcb.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited: