FirstWatt J2

I would like to speak for myself and all others who were fortunate to have acquired a pair of gift Semisouth jfets but are still new to all of this.

I feel there is a disconnect here from what the expectations are in this thread and from EUVL. While I appreciate the time and effort made to make what is no doubt a great circuit my skills are lacking to take it the rest of the way.

I personally have built 4 Pass DIY amps and am confident in my assembly and setup skills. I can recognize different blocks of the circuit. I understand what it means to adjust bias, offset etc.

Where my skills are lacking is in the understanding of how certain changes in values affect the choice of parts, namely this upper FET which is just as or more unobtainable that the Semisouth.

I don't think I'm alone in the desire for certain values on this circuit and PCB which will allow the construction of a working facsimile to what was originally presented in 2019.

Patrick, it seems your suggestions are just build. I will have to take your tough love, burn things up and learn the hard way. Maybe that will prepare me to take on one of your X builds in a few years time. Otherwise I and many others are eager to build and have the basic skills, we just require a little more of a helping hand to see this through.

I thank the generous person who offers up the insight I know I and lots of others are looking for with respect to bringing this amp to life with our new precious silicon that we are very concerned about using properly and avoiding any catastrophe.

exactly my intent too, get the best possible amp with a pair of Semisouth that Papa offered us graciously.
That is why I ask so many questions before building
what is a current production mosfet that can perform near as the unobtainium 2SK3497?
Is the J2 mu follower better than the modulated CCS of aleph J ?
maybe try the DC coupled F8 topology instead of J2 ?

Let me repeat one last time.

I have only built with 2SK3497.
So I can only tell you from that experience that they work without problems.
I have not built with any other MOSFETs.
So I cannot give you an answer what will work or what not.

There are other people around who have built the same with IRF FETs.
So maybe they can share their experience.
And of course I am sure Nelson has tried many combinations.
He is the only one who could give you authoritive answers.

Cheers,
Patrick

Classic engraved MARK LEVINSON ML2 full aluminum amplifier chassis enclosure JC3 | eBay

But without the ML marking.
Special order from Breeze Audio direct.
And of course you can use 2x Tx for fully dual mono build.
We use 1x 300VA only because we have them in the store.

Again, no need for 70µm copper PCBs.
Actually better than 70µm as 2x 35µm has less inductance and skin effect.

Patrick

Seems this is a moving target - new link now.
But look, 340 mm wide. The original black ML-2 chassis is 19" wide. So engraved or no, it is not an exact copy of the original. But still fully usable as a chassis for some amp of course. If so, I would have purchased a l"no logo" version.
/RK

The original ML2 looks like this (attached on the left).

I don't think you can call the one I bought a carbon copy, despite whatever has been engraved on the front plate or not.
It is a pity that they have still left the engraving on at ebay offers (under the same description but different addresses).

But you can find a lot of nice chassis on offer from WeiLiang :
Power amplifier case - Shop Cheap Power amplifier case from China Power amplifier case Suppliers at weiliang audio Official Store on Aliexpress.com - amplifier case,aluminum amplifier case,breeze audio aluminum,amplifier chassis,breeze audio,aluminium chassis

including 480x500x215mm ones :
Brise audio 50W ClassA verstarker aluminium chassis/fall BZ4822A|aluminium chassis|breeze audioaluminum chassis case - AliExpress

Postage is unfortunately a big chunk of the total price.

Patrick

Attachments

• ML2.JPG
    ML2.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 534
  • Breeze Power Amp Case.jpg
    Breeze Power Amp Case.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 481