First Watt F7 review

BTW , my kitchen 24/7 Revox-A78 a/B class amp PSU is done in that way .

Thanks for the idea of the power supply. I would like to use it to power another Push-Pull amplifier (M2 Firstwatt clone) from 40V AC single coil transformer. Is it safe? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this solution?

Attachments

• PSU.jpg
    PSU.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 1,067
Thanks for the idea of the power supply. I would like to use it to power another Push-Pull amplifier (M2 Firstwatt clone) from 40V AC single coil transformer. Is it safe? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this solution?

Hi sts9

I think that by continuing this PSU type discussion will be more way of-topic from original F7 thread , which I don`t want to abuse on the first place ,
but if you want you can always start new thread , let`s say in `Power Supplies ` DIY A. sub-forum , I`m sure that there can be answered and revealed all advantages and disadvantages of that PSU type applied for your M2 -FW amp clone.

Best Regards !

I believe we already stepped (several pages back) above point of decency

dunno ....... maybe Papa just doesn't care for that ( finding all this amusing) ......

I agree.
I'd rather build my own dumb amp than try and clone one of Papa's new amps that hasn't even made it to the store yet.
I feel sorry for Papa, too much greed happening amongst greedy boys.

Hi sts9

I think that by continuing this PSU type discussion will be more way of-topic from original F7 thread , which I don`t want to abuse on the first place ,
but if you want you can always start new thread , let`s say in `Power Supplies ` DIY A. sub-forum , I`m sure that there can be answered and revealed all advantages and disadvantages of that PSU type applied for your M2 -FW amp clone.

Best Regards !

Hi, what I went after by starting to write about the power supply and especially the grounding was Papa's "found a clever way to further reduce the effect of high frequency DAC noise and environmental RF".
It is of course of much greater interest also for me to learn more about the actual amplification part.
Still, immunity to the more and more RF polluted world should be of great interest. (I do not want to open this can of worms, but I must mention that I happen to believe much of the "audible differences" between cables of all sorts can be addressed to RF. But you do not need to arrest me here in this thread because it is off-topic from what really matters here. The F7 topology itself.)
Thanks.:)

The 10K figure is correct.

Your open loop figure is higher than mine, which was derived from looking at
the damping factor of about 5 into 8 ohms without positive feedback.

Probably your output transistors.

:cool:

With a closed-loop gain to 14dB, without positive feedback, and no sense resistor I see a damping factor of about 7. With a 0R33 sense resistor I see a damping factor of 5.4. I guess I am not estimating open-loop gain correctly.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
In the case of the F7 it seems to be the bottom side of the amp.....

Joking! :D:D

This time it was an unusual mix of announcement very much enriched by diyaudio contributions and pictures even appearing earlier than the review.
So all was a bit fast! like pushing fever...

Maybe this is all wanted..... But I have to get accustomed to acceleration and mix of information.

THX

...This time it was an unusual mix of announcement very much enriched by diyaudio contributions and pictures even appearing earlier than the review.
So all was a bit fast! like pushing fever...

Maybe this is all wanted..... But I have to get accustomed to acceleration and mix of information.

THX

Since I only understand about 1% of what's been covered in these posts, it makes my head swim, but I just can't stop reading! :eek: