• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

First stereo tube amp build advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Usually decoupling is done with RC decoupling.
If the decoupling is not enough, Increase the Capacitance.

If the diode is on sometimes, and off sometimes, that is a Discontinuity.
Discontinuities can cause a step function.
Step functions can cause interference.
Yes?
No?

Think of RC filters as an Integrator. Integrators have a Smoothing effect to any changes.

Electrolytic capacitors of a given capacitance and given voltage rating are smaller than they used to be in decades gone past.

And, if the output tubes cause the B+ to vary quite a lot, I think you need to use more capacitance to supply the output stage.
Solve the problem of the output stage B+, then worry about the earlier stage's and input stage's B+ varying.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
6A3sUMMER: Your line of thought seems logical. Losing the diodes also enables me to only use one bleeder resistor.

I've been busy in the mean time with a layout of which I've attached a snapshot. Just an indication to you guys that I'm still working on it; nowhere near finished.

I've also bought and received the book 'Building valve amplifiers' by Morgan Jones. I've skimmed through it and read some interesting parts thoroughly. Very thick and rather wordy, but I still learned more words from Eli :)

Attachments

• ElCheapoLayout_2112.png
    ElCheapoLayout_2112.png
    726.6 KB · Views: 239
Thanks! I found the book in english, but haven't read it yet. I think my contemporary engineering english is better my 1965 engineering dutch. 'kanteelspanning' is a nice example. For those curious what that is, look at the image of a 'kanteel' at the top of the castle tower.

Attachments

• 250px-Henckeshage005a.jpg
    250px-Henckeshage005a.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 209
I planned my guitar amps in minute detail with a computer, down to component/wire size and colour.

Somehow I keep going round in circles for some time now. So now I'm thinking to start ordering stuff to make it a bit more tangible. Are there any gut shots of an El Cheapo? Or similar amps? That might also help me.

My list of suppliers consists of:
Tonefactory Gitaar en versterkeronderdelen - tonefactory.nl
Tube-Town Store - Tube-Town Store
Musikding Onlineshop für Musikelektronik
Verstarkerrohren und AMP-Zubehor | Tube Amp Doctor
Online-Shop for daka-ware knobs, trafos, shielding sheets, inductors, frontpanels, iec-jacks and more
https://www.ringkerntrafo.nl/index.html
http://www.banzaimusic.com/home.php
https://www.jukebox-revival.eu/

Am I missing any obvious ones near The Netherlands (in the EU)? Also the MJE340 and DN2540N5 seem hard to get. Do any of the large guys (mouser/digikey/...) take orders from private individuals?

Attachments

• ElCheapoLayout_2612.jpg
    ElCheapoLayout_2612.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 184
  • MP2104_Master_Volume_6V6_Layout_Voltages.jpg
    MP2104_Master_Volume_6V6_Layout_Voltages.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 185
  • chassis.png
    chassis.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Newark redirects to Farnell for the Netherlands.

Farnell supposedly does not sell to private individuals according some source (attached, in Dutch)

And what about import/customs? I read contradictory statements.

Some Dutch:
Ja: yes
Nee: no
Geen: none
Bedrijfsaccount verplicht: only for businesses
Verzendkosten: shipping fee

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201227-124213.png
    Screenshot_20201227-124213.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 65
I've been playing with KiCad some more. It has a few quirks, but otherwise it is a nice program.

I've made the full audio part of the schematic on pcb, with the exception of grid and screen resistors, diodes and valves. The grid resistors should be close to the sockets. I like the sockets on the chassis. Then it is logical that the diodes are also at the socket. You guys might have noticed I can't make choices and this also enables that. I might replace this pcb for a Baby Huey. The power supply and non-pcb components and wiring should support that I. Using an adapter I might even be able to use EL84's.

However, back to reality: What about the pcb? Any good? Are there any pitfalls? Any advice is welcome.

In the spirit of the El Cheapo: pcb cost is down to 25,- euro for 3 boards (no components)

Attachments

• FullMonoChannelPCB.png
    FullMonoChannelPCB.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 146
  • FullMonoChannelRender.png
    FullMonoChannelRender.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 142
  • FullMonoChannelRenderHD.png
    FullMonoChannelRenderHD.png
    464.4 KB · Views: 144
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Nice work!
I've been using Fritzing, but am impressed by your KiCad layouts. Some Fritzing users call it a step up. Will KiCad export RS274 Gerbers for free?

Initially chose Fritzing cuz it would do this without extra charge for Gerber export, like some softwares that advertise RS274 export capability.

3rd pic posted shows 3rd dimensional depth- is that click view option? Or can you rotate axis views?
Jim

I think KiCad does that, but I'm not sure. This is the first time I use KiCad and hear about Gerber. The PCB manufacturer I found accepts KiCad files; no need for gerber files (and others?).

The second and third image can be rotated. The second one updates in real time, the third one is a raytraced image that takes some time on my old laptop.

In the mean time I've worked on the pcb some more. I forget some pads that I added and re-arranged some to group them more logically.

Attachments

• FullMonoChannelPCB_v1_1.png
    FullMonoChannelPCB_v1_1.png
    49 KB · Views: 137
  • FullMonoChannelRender_v1_1.png
    FullMonoChannelRender_v1_1.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 53
I think I've captured both the El Cheapo and the Baby Huey on a single pcb. A few resistor values and a solder jumper makes it one or the other.

One thing I'm still wondering about (and haven't included in the pcb): the balance pot in the LTP tail. I read everywhere that the CCS ensures that the LTP is balanced. Is the Baby Huey a special case? Because of its shunt feedback? Does it need the balance pot? For other reasons? ??

Attachments

• FullMonoChannelDuoPCB.png
    FullMonoChannelDuoPCB.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 49
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.