• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

The specs for the SMPS1200 indicate that the output voltage is proportional to the mains voltage. Since our mains voltage is typically 110V this means that the SMPS1200A400 will output closer to 30V rather than 63V. I assume that we should use the SMPS1200A700 instead? Independent of the full power limitations, what is the minimum supply voltage that the First One can tolerate?

thanks

Hi

Powered with 110-115 Vac mains, SMPS1200A400 J3 jumper has to be closed and all voltage levels are correct then. ;)

Hi LC, just my feedback re FO. I tried with SPMS PSU but the problem does not go away ie noise through speakers even without preamp. My speaker cables are spiral types. I wonder whether this cause the amp to oscilate ?.
Quan

Observe the output with oscilloscope for any sign of oscillations.

Connect the speakers with plain electrical wires to check whether the noise disappear.

There is no problem with plain vanila speaker cables.
Quan

OK then, First One having 0,3 uH output inductor only, so try to put extra 0,5 uH parallel with 2,2 Ohm/2 W resistor (serial output RL filter) in series with positive output wire. Normally amps having serial output inductor ranging from 0,5 - 1,5 uH. Impedance in this case should change enough (higher with freq) to prevent any unwanted effects. ;)

OK then, First One having 0,3 uH output inductor only, so try to put extra 0,5 uH parallel with 2,2 Ohm/2 W resistor (serial output RL filter) in series with positive output wire. Normally amps having serial output inductor ranging from 0,5 - 1,5 uH. Impedance in this case should change enough (higher with freq) to prevent any unwanted effects. ;)

Thanks LC. How easy is it to remove the original inductor and resolder a higher one?.
Quan

Thanks LC. How easy is it to remove the original inductor and resolder a higher one?.
Quan

No, no don't do that. Extra inductor should be added on inside chassis side of plus speaker's terminal, in series of plus wire which comes from the First One module. The original inductor on PCB has to be left as it is, new one will be just added in series meaning complete inductance will be sum of both inductors.

Hi Dirk

SMPS1200A400 datasheet with connection diagram you can find here.

DC sense is connected to shutdown function pins - connector J4: pin 9 (-), pin 10 (+)

Connection sch will be published here before anyone will receive DC sense, so no worries at all.

Regards L.C. :cheers:

Hi Andrej,

Question for the DC sense, since I only have one SMPS1200 powering both FO amp (stereo), could I connect both DC sense board in parallel to J4: pin (9) and (10)?

Or does DC sense only meant for dual mono?

Hi Andrej,

Question for the DC sense, since I only have one SMPS1200 powering both FO amp (stereo), could I connect both DC sense board in parallel to J4: pin (9) and (10)?

Or does DC sense only meant for dual mono?

Yes, both DC sense output SW (optocoupler output) can be connected in parallel to J4: pin 9 and pin 10, so DC error from any channel will shutdown SMPS1200. ;)

Thanks LC, i don't have a scope . There is no problem with plain vanila speaker cables.
Quan

That's very interesting...

Can you please share your speaker cables because I'm apprehensive now that the amp will oscillate simply due to the speaker cables used.

Are these some strange flat solid conductor spiral WHOO (snake oil) cables or what?

Last edited:
No, no don't do that. Extra inductor should be added on inside chassis side of plus speaker's terminal, in series of plus wire which comes from the First One module. The original inductor on PCB has to be left as it is, new one will be just added in series meaning complete inductance will be sum of both inductors.

Perhaps you could incorporate this into a future rev of the DC sense PCB?

Do you have a chassis available to build this amp out into a five module chassis?

Last edited: