Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Erik van Voorst said:
The Proof of the Pudding......;)

I use a seperate adapter .

So Erik,
What if any effect have you noticed with the blue LEDs lighting the disk?

Curious to know if this does anything at all. Mine sounds very good at this point..

BTW, the blue led looks pretty cool lighting the display.

I'm thinking of the blue light approach when I disassemble the transport to install clearaudio's clamp & puck assembly.

How is that....Too Blue For You...:joker:

Anyway I will come back on it because I always take my time to
pass an audio-verdict.....

As far as a first impression for the hungry ones...I seem to notice more quietness and a bit more air...

Attachments

• allblue.jpg
    allblue.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,424
Joined 2002
Paid Member
dantwomey said:

I'm assuming that a NOS TDA1543 or NOS TDA1541 would be a popular choice. As soon as I get my Shinqaclone together I'm going to test it with both.

Regards,
Dan

:bigeyes:

Briefly touching on the topic of DACs. I have a NOS TDA1543 and a NOS TDA1541. The TDA1543 is one of Peter's designs and while it is VERY good it's my experience that a good NOS TDA154A takes things to the next level.

Regards,
Dan :D

jonners said:
Current state of play - mounted rigidly on granite. (audio1st showed the way, IIRC :) )
The granite is quite 'ringy', so will need to be damped somehow, perhaps by attaching bitumen pads to the back.
And then..... the flashing blue lights! :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Hello Jonners

Inspired also by audio1st I´m im progress building same structure and planning to bond the granite base to 9mm mdf underneath using 2 components stone compound adesive. Any thoughs?

Cheers and thanks

JC

JC Fardo said:

Hello Jonners

Inspired also by audio1st I´m im progress building same structure and planning to bond the granite base to 9mm mdf underneath using 2 components stone compound adesive. Any thoughs?

Cheers and thanks

JC

Hello Jose

Sounds like a good plan, except for the fact that it's not exactly reversible if you don't like the result! :cop:

Cheers, John

Ha! I saw that news article just a few days after attending a Rush concert complete with green lasers. I had to read it to make sure it wasn't me. :D

Hopefully, my transports will be arriving soon so I can get started on this project. I've ordered a Chime DAC kit from Jim Hagermann so I'm expecting great things from my new digital sources. I'm not sure how I'll mount the transport and the DAC so they'll probably live on some plywood for a little while.

Today I did built a 5 Volt regulator
(my super reg is still not in the mail :bawling: )

So I can fool around with that.......

I also made a toc-switch (the wooden peg is becoming quite a hinderness when you play dozens of cd's) and a switch to get the cd illuminating blue-led on/off....

When I switch (being not in the optimal listening position) on/off my impression is that I can hear NO difference...sorry to say (so far )...:cannotbe:

However I will investigate further...experimenting with the intensity and the led- position.

I will also kindly ask my wife to switch
(the toggle that is :clown: )

Attachments

• 5voltreg.jpg
    5voltreg.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,309
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
CeeVee said:
This might be a stupid question, havent followed the issue closely, but has anybody used hall-effect switch for TOC switch ?

That way all we would need to do is use the metalic layer of CD to switch TOC reading.

;)

Interesting idea, unfortunately IIRC the metalization is non magnetic so I suspect a hall effect switch would not work.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
BoilermakerFan said:

Does the switch have to be latched/maintained or can it be momentary? I know on the actual player it was maintained by the cover.

- BMF

It must be remain in the closed position in order to play the cd.. Opening immediately aborts play and deletes the toc contents in the microcontroller memory, closing initiates a new toc read.