Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: 4 hrs in

thekop-bkk said:

I will be interested in the cd clamp. Please count me in. I still see some EZ31A here, willing to help to those who need one. I can take the transport out of the boombox and send with display and the remote.

Send me an email, this is definitely of interest to me.. :D
my alternate addy since you are new: direct dot heated at gmail dot com

Re: Re: 4 hrs in

thekop-bkk said:

I still see some EZ31A here, willing to help to those who need one. I can take the transport out of the boombox and send with display and the remote.

I would be interested as well. Please put me in line AFTER all the other members who have already contributed in this thread and are interested as well.

stan (dot at) stanklimekstudio (dot) com

Best - Stan

I am sorry if my question sounds too newb (because i am one :D ) ,but what is function of the door switch ? I mean ,when u press stop is it needed to turn of that switch also when u want to change CD...
If so ,is it possible to "integrate" that "no cd" function to trigger when u press stop command ?
BTW i had mine EZ31 butchered and it is waiting a DAC to arrive !

I am feeling so sad because i can try my new transport right now...

Regards !

chakija said:
what is function of the door switch ? I mean ,when u press stop is it needed to turn of that switch also when u want to change CD...
If so ,is it possible to "integrate" that "no cd" function to trigger when u press stop command ?
BTW i had mine EZ31 butchered and it is waiting a DAC to arrive !

The door switch is needed for reading TOC. If you don't want to check the track content of the new CD, you don't need to press that switch and CD will play without problem anyway.

You won't however be able to skip to track which number is higher than previously read content, whithout pressing SKIP the pickup will go the unlisted track when in play mode though.

Also, TOC is needed when using program function. Otherwise you don't need to press it and integrating with STOP button would probably not be convenient.

Chakija:

Just a slight warning, and also a reason why you need this switch: forgetting to close the 'door switch' and taking a CD off of the mechanism, you may risk looking at a live laser, because as far as the mechanism is concerned the CD is still in....

Looking into a laser isn't too good for one's vision ;)

Cheers,

- John

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well I found yet another RC-EZ32 and yes I bought it.. :D I'm sick or something, but it was looking pretty good last night before the problems surfaced. I'm hoping for a popped transistor in the switch matrix, but I'm betting it is something worse.

I guess this is what they call throwing good money after bad.. :devilr:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
chakija said:
johnm

Thanks ,i got that in my mind ;) .I just thought it is kinda too much "work" to press stop ,turn off the swich ,replace cd ,turn on and then play.Anyway ,it is thing that i must get use to...

Use a normally closed push button and when you go to load a new disk press it and that will initiate a new toc read. (one press simulates closed/open/closed)

Re: Re: Re: 4 hrs in

kevinkr said:

Send me an email, this is definitely of interest to me.. :D
my alternate addy since you are new: direct dot heated at gmail dot com

This week in Thailand, it is a long holiday--Water festival(Songkran Day) I will let u guy know about the EZ31A next week, since I'm on vacation and no need to hurry. Peter, where can I buy the Citizen crystal?

Peter Daniel said:

The clone is very smooth and natural, I don't miss my analog rig at all. It is very similar in charachter to CEC TL0 which was my reference for last 2 years, it keeps the best virtues of that transport and adds a bit more excitement ; for me, it translates into more involvement while listening. The clone also seems to have more resolution and fine detail comparing to TL0.

Did I already mentioned that the clone became my new reference and it replaces the 5 transports you see in picture below? No kidding ;)

Peter
I wasn't familiar the transports you refer to so I looked up the CEC and ML ones. Those are some serious pieces of kit! I understand now why you say the JVC thingie is bigger news than the whole gainclone thing.

Ian

Puffin said:
I have now receievd my boombox and have ripped it apart.

HBarske prepared details of the components to be removed/changed. Where it says "remove" I assume you then replace with better quality components of the same values ?

Puffin, if you are referring to the pdf posted by Okapi, then "remove" means don't replace and "exchange" means replace with better quality.

Please try it as standard first, it gives great results.
For the output resistors, I found 110r shunt and 260r series gave me the best result so far..