• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FH9HVX - Budget Conscious 100w Class AB for Lean Times

Regarding power supplies: I have a monster potted toroidal with 45-35-0-35-45 a secondary rated at 15A. I think it was a Threshold pull. One potential use would be 7 of your FH9HVX cards at around +- 49 VDC. My instincts lead me to toward three or four power supply cards, for a bit more isolation. Is this a stable environment attaching that many rectifiers to one secondary? Should there be some snubbing on the PS card inputs?

Thanks, Skip

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Skip,
For the single full wave bridge “All Cee’s” PSU, You can only attach one pair of secondaries to each PSU with its rectifier. So +/-35 and +/-45. The 45 is a bit too hot at +/-63.5v. The +/-35v will give +/-49.4v. About right. Not sure what you can do with the 45v windings.

I don’t quite understand how you planned to connect 7 amps?

Cheers,
X

7.x actually. I would expect the .x channels to be powered by class D amp(s).

In this configuration, only the three amps on the front are likely to pull much current. My questions on the Purifi thread relate to the front channels could be Purifi 6.5"/10f speakers using X's TL design. One-stop shopping here.

I have and would use four 2Pi Studios for the non-front speakers.

I have used independent LC stages, one per channel, after a common PS in the past and that has worked well. That gets expensive for more that two channels though.

I thought the 35V secondarys would be the ones to use in the situation, leaving the 45V ones isolated.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ok that makes sense now. I thought you were trying to use the the 45v windings for more FH9HVX’s. The PTT6.5 and a 10F has not been tried yet but I don’t see why they would not work. Are you thinking of the TL version?

attachment.php

Out of interest X, is the DHL shipping time from the pcb fab house in China to your door about the same now as it was pre Covid-19.

Do you always use DHL- if so what method?

I am looking at getting some pcb's made, but just trying to work out delivery times. I spoke to another guy here in Oz and he has now been waiting for more than a month for his delivery of pcb's by E Packet China Post.

I am also assuming DHL will offer a faster service to the US than here to Australia.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I always use DHL and it takes about 3-4 days from HK to Wash DC, same as pre-COVID19. It is pricey though - most of my PCB orders cost $80 to $100 in DHL fees alone - but that is because the shipments are heavy - circa 20lbs to 30lbs of FRP, copper, and gold.

For someone ordering a modest 10 typical PCBs, the DHL cost is circa $25.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have a question for you guys who receive shipments from me overseas. Lately, Etsy has been using a shipping consolidator, Asendia (they call it Global Shipping Program) - my package is actually addressed to a USA address with a footnote containing the customer name and country. It is supposed to be tracked, but I am not sure how that works when the packages are consolidated. When you receive the packages, do they apply a new address label once it arrives in your country? Are you all happy with the packages you receive and are you able to track it?