FET vs BJT input phono preamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, the original Emerald circuit was BJT, using OPA27 on voth stages.

RJM Audio - The Emerald Phono Stage

I'm nos sure if Marcel would agree with using these opamps for MM.

The architecture of the Emerald very much resembles Borbely's, as the first stage is the passive filtering one, except Emerald's first opamp has no gain, acts more like a buffer.

OTOS, I'm not so sure how the very large gain of the second stage may affect the audio quality.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Sorry, dreamth, I do not wish to argue with you, but your claim is out of line.

What will you report me for?

Apparently your questions were all answered, and the topic evolved. You just do not seem to accept it.

So if my questions were explained there's no need for this thread to continue.

Evolve into what?

Accidental offtopic for a few posts is one thing, nonaccidents spread over 20 hijacked pages are another thing.
You've been warned and explained that your simulations are better suited to fill Billshurv topic on cartrige resonances as it appears that he's also very frustrated by Hans posting his simulations into my topic instead of his...

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ana...vs-bjt-input-phono-preamp-40.html#post6369068
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ana...vs-bjt-input-phono-preamp-41.html#post6369526

And you have your first request with my very clear answer and the Forum's rules are here too. As it appears that you just formally asked me with a different hidden intention i'm appealing to moderators team to close this topic and move your posts into Billshurv topic...
I didn't invade anyone's topic claiming that his topic's name is expired and needs to be changed to accomodate my own ideas.

Attachments

• request.png
    request.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 230
  • rules.png
    rules.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 224
I wonder why You chose this topic to put your seeds into it...

My proposals, not seeds. And I did because I thought it was related to phono preamps. And one of them was discrete BJT.

Is there any need for a topic to evolve into something different than the Topic's name is all about?
Do you have anything to say about why a bjt input preamp would be better or worse than a FET preamp?

I have nothing against BJT RIAA preamps, except than the best I have listened too has FET inputs. You also mention a valve preamp as one of your favourites too.

But I was interested in knowing more about why BJTs were not, for people like Marcel, not recommended for MMs.

That's the difference between your concept and mine: you want to restrict it and I want to open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.