FE166En+FT17H "Concerti clone" (lots of pics!!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To Dzius,

If your reinforcement is 8mm , this will give an error aprox. 4% .
We once had a builder who made a 3% error and it was inaudible!!
Don't expect any problems.
I assumed your reinforcement being 19mm, my mistake.

To Bigun,

Thanks for the compliment , about the "clear" thread .
I'm working on that one.
For the moment I'm doing a groupproject with highschool kids (15~17 years of age)
We are using a Foster (=FE83e) unit and a car-woofer ; x-over 6/6 dB at 300Hz.
Doing things on a budget , they start sounding like a price - performance ratio of 11 !!
I'll post pics when we are further on , in the proces.

Dear Talaerts,

Just see that you are German.
I use 2 measurement systems; Both German!!
ATB pc pro and , an older one , DAAS 32L+.
I saw the , by Fostex published , measurements but they are very different to my own measurements!!
The new FE166EN has only on axis a rising response but is audibly different from the measurements!!
They definetly need the FT17H !!
We tried very different rooms , "dead". reflective , large, small ; always the same result , by all people who build a set : USE TWEETER !!
More air etc.

Leon,

I am Belgian, but currently I live in Singapore.
Yes, I can imagine that they can use a tweeter. And I did wonder if it would make sense to filter the fr driver (oh heresy) in the high frequencies so that you would mainly here the tweeter there. Did you experiment with that?

Apologise for the German part, I do my holidays in Belgium for over 25 years!!

We tried a series x-over.( from memory ; 0,22mH and 2,2 uF )
Most prefered the cap only solution.
One person tried for a longer time but switched back.
Said there was more depth in the soundstage with cap only and some remarks about imaging being better as wel.
Wil be away the rest of the day ; so not able to answer at once for a while.

For breaking in my Fostex FE166En I've built recomended factory bass reflex enclosures. My impression is that even though there is lack of bass response in this particular instance but high frequency response is just OK. In back loaded horn it's a little bit different and we need to smooth HF response a bit by use of tweeter. That's my understanding of the matter.

Empty corners filled with sand and pluged by pieces of styrodur. ConcertiFe166_2m2.jpg

I've put things together but I haven't finished speakers in full. In order to keep courage to finish I'm doing first listenig tests.
ConcertiFe166_3m.jpg
My Fostex's FE166En probably haven't broken already in, so I have to use baffle step correction cirquit (L=1mH, R=3OHM). I've used different tweeter also (old Telewatt FH5 with 0.68uF capacitor in series). With that speakers sound just fabulous !!! No doubt about that. Just diffrent from any "conventional" bass reflex. So far I've listened to every genre of music, every kind and age. I will do frequency spectrum measurements to tune final speakers resposnse soon.

Last edited:
By knocking with fingers at speaker panels around I've found something described in the review of Concerti 108:
"On the technical side, the resonance you heard on some music material was due to cabinet vibrations near the mouth. This is fixed in v3 by using new composite side walls and strengtening plates. The pebble leather inside the horn last segment also helps by "lubricating" the air flow."
(6moons audio reviews: Gemme Audio Concerti 108)

I mean side panels at the mouth are prone to vibrate more likely that anything else in this speaker. So I'm going to do something about it.

Side panels have been strengthened using 12cm wide layer of 18mm plywood and stips of wood on front edges rounded a little. Compression chamber walls are very ridgit now having double thickness. On the front panel there is additional steel bolt fixed with use of epoxy glue to stiffen it.

ConcertiFe166_6.jpg ConcertiFe166_7.jpg ConcertiFe166_8.jpg

The walls of openings are allways much prone to resonate than the walls of a box that get intrinsic crossbracing of perpendicular walls. Two or three crossbraces in the horn opening is effective and does not add so much weight as increasing wall thickness a lot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.