Favorite Horn/CD Combos

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Room's pretty big i guess. About 33ft x 17ft x 16ft vaulted ceiling. And is pretty open 2/3 it's length into another room 11 ft wide.
Not really treated at all...waay to live acoustically.
But I don't strive for indoor sound anymore.

Some years back i built a big dedicated sound room. 11,000 cu ft. Live-end dead-end. Balanced RT-60 across the spectrum. Early reflection and diffusing treatments, etc.
Truly beautiful sounding, and very quiet room (out in the country).

Was happy as a pig in ***** till i took some of the speakers outdoors for a listen. Moral of my story...i say screw rooms :D

So, let's see. Your first option is a ginormous room. Your second option (or maybe first) is listening outside. Talk about spoiled for choice. :cuss:

Once you've had a lava cave listening room, there is no going back. :D

This guy!:whazzat:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The larger mouth makes them sound smaller still.
That's part of what i was trying to describe to Pano, using the terms 'pulling together, tighter, with imaging that extends lower in frequency'.

Apologies for shamelessly taking your comments out of context, but I want to come back to this statement.

One trick I've been finding really useful is running a 45 degree phase difference between L and R from about 800 Hz to 10 kHz. You can do that using rePhase. if you're interested I can post a .bat file to convolve your FIR correction with this phase delta to produce a file that has both: the FIR correction and phase delta.

This trick seems to really pull the images together. So, even low frequencies have a clear point from where they emanate and helps with localizing snare drums, etc., that have a wide frequency range. There is a tremendous sense of being in the space. It also sweetens things up and makes each instrument more nuanced. Try it.

The other trick is the S-curve, which Wesayso introduced to me. It is very powerful in improving tonality and intelligibility of the central image and also helps with imaging in general. The S-curve with the 45 degree trick is very powerful.

Apologies for shamelessly taking your comments out of context, but I want to come back to this statement.

One trick I've been finding really useful is running a 45 degree phase difference between L and R from about 800 Hz to 10 kHz. You can do that using rePhase. if you're interested I can post a .bat file to convolve your FIR correction with this phase delta to produce a file that has both: the FIR correction and phase delta.

This trick seems to really pull the images together. So, even low frequencies have a clear point from where they emanate and helps with localizing snare drums, etc., that have a wide frequency range. There is a tremendous sense of being in the space. It also sweetens things up and makes each instrument more nuanced. Try it.

The other trick is the S-curve, which Wesayso introduced to me. It is very powerful in improving tonality and intelligibility of the central image and also helps with imaging in general. The S-curve with the 45 degree trick is very powerful.

Interesting. Are you saying you apply a constant 45 deg phase shift between about 800Hz and 10kHz ?
I pretty familiar with rephase....which tools are using using to do that...parametric phase, or maybe a combination of filters linearization?

I need to back up and explain some prior comments about image shrinking.
I was referring solely to mono.
I make all my listening assessments in mono....it establishes SQ for me.
However stereo ends up after I've got the best mono sound i can get, so be it, let the chips fall where they may. Then I literally do zero work on making stereo better.

Because like i mentioned earlier, when i take a nice powerful speaker setup outdoors, it sounds so much better than anything indoors ....
no matter how much acoustic work i've done on rooms, extra speaker tuning, etc, ....
well, i just can't bear to focus on indoors.
I'm maybe like a surfer who lives for big waves. It's all about grabbing new listening highs outdoors whenever I can catch the opportunity.

Anyway, i do have indoors setup to be able to instantly A/B two speakers each running stereo summed to mono, or run both in stereo, or run both in summed mono.

In the picture i posted in #53 of the 3 syns currently running, when the two outside are running both in mono, the image is rock solid and sounds like the center black syn is the one playing. It sounds a bit small, tighter pattern, than visual size would indicate. Just like a single speaker.
If they are run in stereo, a strong center image remains, but the overall image expands. As expected i guess, kinda inline with any difference in signals will expand a sense of space.

Transylvania Tubes

Another way to reproduce sound from compression drivers is to mount the compression drivers to Transylvania Tubes. These are tubes with an increased opening over the length of the tube to spread out the resonances. If you don't understand what they are, do a search on this site or even in Google. They are quite viable and a different way to reproduce the higher frequencies and may be better than conventional horns depending on the situation.

Retsel

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Interesting. Are you saying you apply a constant 45 deg phase shift between about 800Hz and 10kHz ?
I pretty familiar with rephase....which tools are using using to do that...parametric phase, or maybe a combination of filters linearization?

It is something like the attached, except 22.5 degrees in each direction.

Attachments

• 45deg_phase_delta.jpg
    45deg_phase_delta.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 323