Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Many thanks Pano. Regarding woofer, as I will order many new parts and baffle material, should I go for the GRS 15"?
John wrote, that it works better in the Manzanita. Or is it just the personal taste?
Which values for R2 could be fine? I know, it's difficult to answer, but... should I go for 12 and 15 ohms? Or higher, or maybe for 10 ohms too? Should I think about changing/increasing R1 too? Or just try and error, because the design is forgiving?
Yesterday, out of curiosity, I listened to my 4 speakers and none can deliver the spatial imaging that the Manzanitas are capable of. That's really amazing.
I think Pano cover the driver Q in post #2518.
l’ve ordered a bunch of resistors to play with as I all the instructions say tune to your room/preferences. The values in post #2500 are best average and a good place to start.

Last edited:
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Okay, again, why wait? :)
Until the new baffle material is here, I thought I can modify the old baffle. I made a cutout for the TC9 with a diameter of 133 mm, and in this cutout I sunk and glued a 4 mm ply with the exact same shape as the cutout, flush with the surface. Now the TC9 has plenty of room to breath freely.

PSX_20220602_183500.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
That looks great. I did something similar on my build years back.

I also ended up adding filler to the outer edge of the cut out to smooth things out. It prevented a resonance that was there with the sharp edge. I like to think the music now gracefully slides out of the hole ...

It seemed to make a difference and it was cheap.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi, I have not been lazy since thursday and have completely rebuilt the Manzies.
The result: an incredible change, the sharpness is completely gone, they just make music beautifully.
The mids are crystal clear, the bass is deep, punchy but not boomy, the highs are very finely detailed - I'm thrilled.
That's why I decided to complete the finish, and with the ordered resistors I will only - if at all - make small adjustments.

PSX_20220604_174316.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Many thanks Pano :cheers:
As I wrote, first I opened up the cutout for the TC9 to more than 130 mm and in this big cutout I sunk a 4 mm ply baffle for it. So the TC9 has now a plenty of room to breath and I think this is the main reason for the huge improvement. Further, I shortened the "base plate" from 30 cm to 15 cm, and the legs are now placed near the edges of the base plate; I think the smaller surface of the base plate causes much less resonance.
And for the eyes, I covered the baffle with veneer structure foil :)
Today I only heard the cd player, no record, but maybe tomorrow, I'll report back then.

As I wrote, first I opened up the cutout for the TC9 to more than 130 mm and in this big cutout I sunk a 4 mm ply baffle for it. So the TC9 has now a plenty of room to breath and I think this is the main reason for the huge improvement. Further, I shortened the "base plate" from 30 cm to 15 cm, and the legs are now placed near the edges of the base plate; I think the smaller surface of the base plate causes much less resonance.
Could we see the back of them please? I’m interested as I will hopefully start my build this month (waiting on parts).

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Today is turntable day :yes:
The first record was Beethoven's 5th symphony with Sir Georg Solti and the Wiener Philharmoniker (from the label Decca), recorded way back in 1959.
And... wow. The spatial distribution, the profound depths, the dynamics, great. The stage imaging is incredible.
Then some hungarian pop from the band Napoleon Boulevard from 1987 :D (the band is practically identical with the famous prog rock band Solaris) - it's just great.
Makes you want more - and more, larger diy open baffles :love:
(Equipment: Project RPM 9 Carbon, Project Evolution 9cc tonearm, Nagaoka MP-500 moving iron cartridge, Lehmann Black Cube pre)

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Today I played with some damping material, out of couriosity.
I took my favourite jazz cd "Moon Ray" and at first I listened to it without changes.
First change: I covered the whole inner surface of the wings with 40 mm eggcrate foam. The bass is more refined and - yes - deeper. At the same time the mids and highs are not so open. (Funny: the best of all wifes comes into the room and asks me - she has absolutely nothing to do with this hobby and with music - "what did you do, it sounds like it's slowed down now". Yes, that was exactly the same as what I was thinking.)
In the second step I shortened the foam to the height of the woofer - and yes, that's it! The bass is great, more exact (in my ears, under my circumstances, etc.) and deeper (?) as without foam. The mids and highs are now wonderful open and live again, somewhat refined, but without being "slowed down".

PSX_20220607_195833.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Today I played with some damping material, out of couriosity.
I took my favourite jazz cd "Moon Ray" and at first I listened to it without changes.
First change: I covered the whole inner surface of the wings with 40 mm eggcrate foam. The bass is more refined and - yes - deeper. At the same time the mids and highs are not so open. (Funny: the best of all wifes comes into the room and asks me - she has absolutely nothing to do with this hobby and with music - "what did you do, it sounds like it's slowed down now". Yes, that was exactly the same as what I was thinking.)
In the second step I shortened the foam to the height of the woofer - and yes, that's it! The bass is great, more exact (in my ears, under my circumstances, etc.) and deeper (?) as without foam. The mids and highs are now wonderful open and live again, somewhat refined, but without being "slowed down".
This density foam has no effect on bass ...

P.S. But I have a question about your listing. What specific album called "Moon ray" do you mean?