Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Presently acquiring parts for this build vifa tc9 and grs 15, all that is outstanding is the inductors, i will be buying the 20mh but for the others i am looking to wind my own inductors.

With regards to the construction of the baffle what are the dimensions? I think I saw a 4" and is there another version with deeper wings? I was considering using 2x4 for the wings/frame as well or stick to 2x2?

"The floor standing version of the Manzanita, dubbed “Ultra” uses a much larger baffle with the dimensions growing to 25.5” W x 48” H with full length 5.5” deep wings . The larger baffle increases the operating efficiency by around 3 db and extends usable bass response into the upper 20’s."
So is it 4" or 5.5"?

Last edited:
Sure james. I gathered info from post #'s 1778 and 1784 in particular. 2.5" deep side wall in front of the baffle, 5" in back of the baffle. Anything past that and the photos John provided in post #1776 are also a very good reference. I just made some assumptions on overall baffle dimensions based on the previous design and the photos. Good luck on your builds everyone!

You got it Pano!

Last edited:
Ah, got it - thanks for that - clear pictures, better explanation - front cheek wings, eh - hadn't thought of that!

I've played with having the wings back at 45* (like 'swept-back) but this only for high pass 8" FR driver (>150Hz) and 15" in a B2 box < 150Hz - haven't tried OB bass yet.

Working with rear 1D diffusors, going down that particular 'rabbit hole'!

' mids never

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yeah, I forgot to add that I did the same as that guy. I recorded a video on my smartphone for some friends and family. The recording sounded thin so I told them that they will hear some positives but that it didn't give a sense of the range down at the bottom of the speaker.

Remember a fellow a few years back trying to sell his Altec 605 Duplexes via U-Tube demonstration recording. Anyway, he wasn't doing himself any favors! Suspect the Manzi Ultra recording was via a cell phone. Not designed to be "hi-Fi". Designed to enhance the vocal range for intelligibility via limiting bass and H.F. Suspect the Manzi Ultras in the video, if built as described on the forum sound just fine. Translating what the Manzi's actually (sound quality wise) do over U-Tube would be similar to translating what gravity effects do to you on a roller coaster! Just saying!! J