F6 Amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Dont have gate stopper on 2sk170 CCS feeding my output bias LED's. Could this be it. suspect crappy wiring job, but we will see.

moi suspect crappy mess ( even if it's always like that , even messier , with my ikebanas )

connect top of lower bias net (JfetCCS) to GND , instead to output

I can't see organization of GNDs on your pic , so it seems that you're on your own regarding that

be sure that repeaters aren't swallowing mains xformer field

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Another suggestion to troubleshoot is to disconnect the negative feedback connection at the output. Load the output with a dummy resistor as a voltage offset may develop due to a possible mismatch of JFETs. Repeat your earlier measurements and observations.

there is no servo function of FE , with or without NFB

offset will stay the same , with or without NFB , with or without FE

moi suspect crappy mess ( even if it's always like that , even messier , with my ikebanas )

connect top of lower bias net (JfetCCS) to GND , instead to output

I can't see organization of GNDs on your pic , so it seems that you're on your own regarding that

be sure that repeaters aren't swallowing mains xformer field
ZM. Some of your concerns plagued the old classic design. Post #1085 page 3 of link; supplementary notes.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dunno
but , if made as drawn , lower Jfet can't be biased

:devilr:

Attachments

• hehe.jpg
    hehe.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 285
SemiSouth R100 variability

In my previous post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/216616-f6-amplifier-147.html#post3156418 I show significant THD differences between 2 PC boards I built. Today, I swapped R100 output JFETs between boards (that was easier than swapping transformers). Here is THD vs Frequency of one of the boards, before and after the swap.

This indicates that there is considerable variability between the SemiSouth R100 JFETs. I do not know if it is input capacitance, transconductance, or something else.

Attachments

• F6-0R47-gain-4p7-1W-sweep-PCB2.jpg
    F6-0R47-gain-4p7-1W-sweep-PCB2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 316
  • F6-0R47-gain-4p7-1W-sweep-PCB2-Jswap.jpg
    F6-0R47-gain-4p7-1W-sweep-PCB2-Jswap.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 311
it's possible to damage them only if you exceed their Ugs limit ;
chance for that are small - requires idiot driving insane voltage in input
By mistage, the output voltage may reach power rails [and stick] as one JFET opens and the other simulatneously closes; like a switching or clipping situation. Will it affect [damage] the bias circuitry, and especially will this cause DC to flow through the secondaries [and primary].