F6 Amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• smesna.gif
    smesna.gif
    16 KB · Views: 458
I built my second PC board today and tested it. The results look the same as my breadboard. The only significant differences between the 2 PC boards are the R100 output JFETs and the transformers. I doubt the JFETs are thatdifferent. I am thinking that during my breadboard testing I might have passed DC current through the transformer and saturated the core. I will attempt to "degauss" the transformer using the Jensen procedures. Here are the THD vs Frequency sweeps for the two PC boards. The first PCB (yesterday) on the left, and today's PCB on the right. Very different.

Attachments

• F6-0R47-gain-4p7-1W-fsweep-2.jpg
    F6-0R47-gain-4p7-1W-fsweep-2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 374
  • F6-0R47-gain-4p7-1W-sweep-PCB2.jpg
    F6-0R47-gain-4p7-1W-sweep-PCB2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 316
Hooked my F6 up with everything biased nicely and.......BZZZZZZZZ. :rofl:
Sounds like music is down the hall. Probably dont have time to debug. Who knows. Dont have the shield wire of transformer hooked up, but dont think its relevant. Could be haystack of construction. Been working on PCB anyway, so maybe get it etched and give her another go. Damnit. thought i would be first stereo listener. Oh well.

Hooked my F6 up with everything biased nicely and.......BZZZZZZZZ. :rofl:
Sounds like music is down the hall. Probably dont have time to debug. Who knows. Dont have the shield wire of transformer hooked up, but dont think its relevant. Could be haystack of construction. Been working on PCB anyway, so maybe get it etched and give her another go. Damnit. thought i would be first stereo listener. Oh well.

Buzzzz is usually a grounding issue. Is it a stereo amp? Disconnect one channel and see what you have. I would trouble shoot this before I worked on a PCB. You might find an error that you are duplicating on PCB.

You are the first to listen, is the Buzzzz of high resolution? Good imaging? :)

Rush

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
buzz

here is remainder for ya

not tested as is by Mighty ZM , but there is no reason for any doubts :rofl:

few possible tweaks possible , but I can check them ........ in 6 months or so :devily:

(got today "new" scanner , which is functional under Windrek 7)

Attachments

• ZM's-1.jpg
    ZM's-1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Dont have gate stopper on 2sk170 CCS feeding my output bias LED's. Could this be it. suspect crappy wiring job, but we will see.

First pic is bias
Second pic is offset
Third pic is Haystack.
Fourth pic is DC noise.
First scan is bias
Second scan is output layout

All assumes correct order of pics and scans:D
trsnformer shield not grounded.

Gotta to soccer practice. Be Back in a bit!

Edit:
ZM, Based on listening to F5T with and without cascoded FE, I prefer straight FE with no cascode. Seems to have better transparency, dunno.

Attachments

• Bias.pdf
    22.3 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0138.JPG
    DSC_0138.JPG
    741.3 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC_0135.JPG
    DSC_0135.JPG
    734.4 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC_0134.JPG
    DSC_0134.JPG
    720.6 KB · Views: 252