F5 Listening Impressions & Discussion

:)

ok will keep a look out for them.....

EDIT: after some searching, 500g rolls of 15awg are working out at almost €20 each, I would need 4, thats €80 total for an experiment. Too much I think! I'll search more to see can I find some cheaper, but thats the cheapest so far....

Fran

Last edited:
ok, so I took apart the microwave oven transformer. I ended up with 58m (190 ft) of 1.4mm wire, which I think is about 15g... possibly a little small. From an online calculator, I would need this much wire for even one 2mH inductor - so I'm not going to have enough to replace the CRC with CLC.

What I might do is make up some smaller rated inductors, about 0.5mH each and use them after the CRC. I could use some nice nichicon muse caps on the end of the PSU.

For 0.5mH inductor, the air core should be 70mm, height is 18mm and 17m of 15g wire...... so this will be big diameter.

Its probably worth a try, but if anyone thinks what I'm doing is stupid, let me know!!

Fran

since microwave transformers are free it might have been a decent idea to measure the L of the primary and secondary before cutting it open.

And after cutting it open, cutting it so that you can still use the lengthwise laminations is a good idea for cores on which to wind a nice inductor or two??

_-_-bear

if one chooses to re-use an old transformer, as an inductor carrying DC current, then one must introduce an air gap into the core circulation route to reduce the saturation that would other wise occur.

This is generally easy if the laminations are bolted together.
Just place them all in the same direction and after inserting the bobbin place a couple of layers of paper over the ends of all the legs. Add on the I's and you have an air gapped (well paper gapped) EI inductor core suitable for DC use.

The laminate core doesn't make the PS better - it makes the coils smaller and then they use less wire, so if you are making them yourself, then it is somewhat easier?

Actually the air core is technically superior - nothing to saturate.

In speakers it is better to use air core for that reason.

AndrewT, I was suggesting earlier that if you had to hacksaw a microwave transformer then cut it so that you keep the "fingers" from the "E" to wind coils around...

_-_-

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Chokes fore tube amp supply from Lundahl all seem to be 4H-20H
Saturation current range from 150-500mA
Obviously only to be used with high voltage/low current

I would like to know why tube builders use those huge chokes, and you suggest relatively small Xover aircore inductors

Tube filament chokes seems closer with 2-6 Amp ratings, but still huge induction

Is it due to tube builders usually trying to filter out hum issues, and we are at the opposite end trying to filter out high frequency noise
Or just a matter of different load impedance
Hmm, I suppose it should be calculated from the impedance its loaded in to
Which would be maybe a 0.47ohm source resistor ?

Oh, heatsink just arrived, its "hot" :D

Attachments

• fischer 1.jpg
    fischer 1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 763
  • fischer 2.jpg
    fischer 2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 754
Thanks to all for the help.

AndrewT: thanks for the link to the supplier - I'll be following up on that.

Bear: The MOT was huge, say a 6" cube at least and weighed a ton (from an industrial microwave). The laminations were welded so needed an angle grinder to open the seam. Once done though they came apart very easily and I have the laminations still. More research yet to be done...... I think this would be a lot simpler if I had gone the single supply route. But becuase I went dual mono, everythnig is doubled up. Actually it will be very interesting to hear the results in this setup.

Fran

I think the issue is that when you use it with another amp or compare it to another amp, the gain makes a difference in the subjective impression and in practical comparisons.

In my personal system right now I have a horn that gives me legit 109db/1w, and midbass drivers that do legit 98-99db/1w. Given that most "normal" amps are ~26db "gain" and this one is "15 db gain" you can do the math and see that for me this is a "magic match". I can run the F5 (if I had one) direct to the compression drivers and match to the rest of the system with no attenuators required.

The rest of you all are going to have to struggle to get enough voltage swing out of your opamp based preamp or DAC stage (if you use a passive pre or buffer...). Headroom is a consideration in my view for anything that uses an opamp or has limited output voltage swing in the driving or preamp position.

Of course a lot depends on who is driving what, how loud, and how big a room and with what sort of source material...

In my view using a relatively low power amp on relatively low sensitivity (read: normal speakers) in regular sized rooms at the average SPL in the seat of say 92-3dB SPL is going to give the F5 some headroom issues. If that was what I had to do I'd be thinking bridged myself...

Ymmv.

_-_-

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
My AB monos are run at 30Vdc rails and are plenty powerful with normal speakers
Power supply, 500watt trafos and 2x 15.000uf Jensen 4-pole, ea
Yeah, normal gain
Once again, Nelson does state that Firstwatt amps are designed to be used with relatively sensitive 8ohm speakers
BA designs are made fore those of us here who wants a bit more power
Honestly, I reckon F5 and BA-2 will be my last SS amps
A last statement, the best of this eara
And they may be constantly changing "building stones" fore Nelsons future creativity
Nelson has stated his furture designs will use this same base
And I will build a Tubelab Simple PP, also a last statement before closing time
From then on, classD will rule

My AB monos are run at 30Vdc rails and are plenty powerful with normal speakers
Power supply, 500watt trafos and 2x 15.000uf Jensen 4-pole, ea
Yeah, normal gain
Once again, Nelson does state that Firstwatt amps are designed to be used with relatively sensitive 8ohm speakers
BA designs are made fore those of us here who wants a bit more power
Honestly, I reckon F5 and BA-2 will be my last SS amps
A last statement, the best of this eara
And they may be constantly changing "building stones" fore Nelsons future creativity
Nelson has stated his furture designs will use this same base
And I will build a Tubelab Simple PP, also a last statement before closing time
From then on, classD will rule

Huh ? ..... :confused: