F3 Builders Thread

This one still has my curiosity piqued. The diode is good, so the gate didn't see reverse bias. (The water could have shorted something, but it would have had to have "unshorted" the diode to produce reverse bias.)

Shorting the gate to the drain could produce zero bias, but not reverse bias.

Shorting the gate to the source would over-bias the gate, but the water would have to have much less resistance than the gate stopper to produce destructive over-bias.

Tap water on a circuit board is going to be something like 20ohms to 2Kohms. Salt water (or something like Gatorade) would seriously reduce that though....

Anyway, well done for sorting it!

Ok gentlemen, I am at loss here. Me and my friend have got Jeff Young's PCBs from the recent forum group buy. After yesterdays test, both amps have similar problems and are not working properly in a similar fashion.

With 51V PSU, I get following voltages (all measurement relative to the PSU ground, is that ok?):

• Q5 source 48V
  • Q2 source 46V
  • Q4 C/B/E 48V/46V/46V
  • C1 46V

Misc:
PSU ground to Signal ground 44V
PSU+ to Signal ground 5.5V

The amps draw barely any current, Fets don't even get warm.

In the past I managed to succesfuly build a breadboard ACA and kit M2X without much problem, I really wasn not expecting so much problem with F3 :confused:.

Thanks,
Andy

Attachments

• First Watt - F3 - Amp left - Jeff.png
    First Watt - F3 - Amp left - Jeff.png
    109.1 KB · Views: 280
Last edited: