Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

Anyone looking for aluminum baffles? I'm working out a process for making custom baffles and the first go was to make one for the six inch Purifi with waveguide. The main tweaks I'm planning are some minor changes to the rear panel seal geometry and some faster machining strategies. Dialing in the anodize procedure is the other main objective. Note the exaggerated mounting holes; on the rear side they have a deep well chamfer and the idea is to have custom chamfered nuts with a rubber gasket seal. So the mounting bolts don't contact the baffle, and because the driver is essentially free floating the chamfered nut geometry actually handles the centering problem. Dunno whether it's a good or bad design feature, but making tweaks on the overall design is a fairly negligible fix.

I'm thinking I can do em from about 400-1200$ per pair depending of the level of finish. Also working on the flush mount bolts specific to Purifi, as can be seen in one of the mounting holes. So I was thinking to do a baffle plus hardware package for convenience. This was just a proof of concept so if there is any need for this sort of work give me a shout.

View attachment 1076555 View attachment 1076557 View attachment 1076558
Great , I am looking a similar one for my design . Can you please PM to connect ?

Great , I am looking a similar one for my design . Can you please PM to connect ?
You bet!

BTW, here is the current design I'm working on with thinner baffle (.5" vs. .75") and waveguide insert vs. machined directly into baffle. The goal is to work out a composite side panel system next, but I want the baffle to also facilitate custom wood panels that is easy for custom builders to work with. I also want the baffle to scale from bookshelf to tower without being awkward, so I'm hashing out ideas for an external folded port and a second tower baffle form-factor that will work for the PTT8 ;] Lastly I looking to deal with the grill situation and am thinking about nickel foam as when I tried it initially I didn't notice any detrimental effects on my parents Bose radio.

untitled.22832.png
untitled.22833.png

Reactions: 4 users
You bet!

BTW, here is the current design I'm working on with thinner baffle (.5" vs. .75") and waveguide insert vs. machined directly into baffle. The goal is to work out a composite side panel system next, but I want the baffle to also facilitate custom wood panels that is easy for custom builders to work with. I also want the baffle to scale from bookshelf to tower without being awkward, so I'm hashing out ideas for an external folded port and a second tower baffle form-factor that will work for the PTT8 ;] Lastly I looking to deal with the grill situation and am thinking about nickel foam as when I tried it initially I didn't notice any detrimental effects on my parents Bose radio.

View attachment 1078092 View attachment 1078093
Rad design :p
Consider passive radiators or a port, unless you're aiming for a down firing port/PR or a sealed enclosure.
Which tweeters can successfully marry to that WG?

Rad design :p
Consider passive radiators or a port, unless you're aiming for a down firing port/PR or a sealed enclosure.
Which tweeters can successfully marry to that WG?
The "folded" port, (if that's even a thing) is basically the equivalent of a 2.5" round port tuned at a length of about 37". It's plumbed in to the main cab at the bottom rear and then makes a couple laps in the chamber before exiting the front. I'm all ears as far as whether it's a viable design. It was sort of a convenient way to deal with the fact that I had a 14 liter cab and didn't want to chip away the ID with a bunch of plumbing. Am definitely curious as to the pros and more so the cons of the approach. Or if easy mods like moving the exit location around would improve the performance. There is the obvious solution of increasing the cab size but the problem is tooling gets to become a bigger issue as the size of the cab scales, so I want to see what can be compartmentalized. And the final point on the external port is that it would seem to make the most sense for a bookshelf that is actually on a shelf, as putting it on a stand opens up the opportunity to run a vertical port to the floor. As far as having a similar setup on a PTT8, I mainly slapped that feature on to see what a full tower might look like and the main purpose was to explore the aesthetics of making a bookshelf work in a modular fashion and not so much what a proper cab/vent for the eight inch might be.

The WG throat size I've been working with is 1.18" which fits the RST-28A, as inspired by X's work with that particular combo. That is why I'm thinking about doing a sort a standardized insert flange, so people can customize to whatever WG requirement is needed and not be locked in if a tweeter upgrade happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Love your work Kimmo!

And gee, look at that!- a Purifi horn in the background?!
And paired with a rear/up firing on too!
And bass cabinet, probably full of large 12-18” Purifi woofers!!

How did you get exclusive access to them?
😜

Yes, folks, you saw here it here first- more Purifi’ed goodies are on the way!

Cabinets, DSPs, amplifiers, DJs and audiences all around the world are waiting for Purifi upgrades!

C5A953A6-26CD-4BD6-A302-26A20443C5F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Love your work Kimmo!

And gee, look at that!- a Purifi horn in the background?!
And paired with a rear/up firing on too!
And bass cabinet, probably full of large 12-18” Purifi woofers!!

How did you get exclusive access to them?
😜

Yes, folks, you saw here it here first- more Purifi’ed goodies are on the way!

Cabinets, DSPs, amplifiers, DJs and audiences all around the world are waiting for Purifi upgrades!

View attachment 1080271
No 4" Purifi Build

Joined 2005
Paid Member
TBH, I don't think the DIYer would want to pay for the privilege. And lots of hi-fi enthusiasts still want passive, for various reasons that are beyond the scope of this topic.

However, Yevgeniy could equip it with such, if he wanted to. An all singing all dancing DSP multichannel plate amp Roon ready with WISA and Spotify/Tidal etc.