Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

Might be expensive. Madi just increase the price of the PTT6.5 to $411. PTT8 might come close to $500. If dual per side that will run up to $2k for the woofers alone. If it goes much higher than that, I might have to go with WO24P or some SS instead.
Indeed... the WO24 are 237 $ a piece.... so less than half. That's a lot of money for something that needs way more investigation before any decision can be made.

I got 2x 6.5 from the group buy (I think it was ~$250 + shipping each). and then bought 2x used ones later on also for $250 each.

I have built cabinets with the SB 5x8 PR and also lately sealed boxes. Despite not going as low (measures around 85Hz f3), the sealed alignment sounds better, better definition and more pace. It plays loud driven with dedicated purifi class D amps in active crossover. However, when pushed, esp with double bass solo and organ music, the 6.5 will bottom out in my moderately sized room. What's amazing is that the sound is not strained when pushed, they maintain composure until close to bottoming out. in fact, while visually it is oscillating like crazy, audibly i cannot tell it is working hard. Incredible.

The next step is to go deeper (in both sense i guess. :) ) and built a floor standing full range that can cover the last octave below 100Hz. Currently sub 70Hz is being serviced with arrayed subwoofers. I want the subs to handle sub-50Hz only so I need something that can go down to 50Hz or so, sealed, without any strain. I am envisioning something with dual woofers, dual 8" to dual 10". with PTT mid range and some tweeter on top to be decided. Currently, WO24P seems to be the best option for the bass. $1k for 2 pairs and fairly large boxes.

I am eagerly looking forward to what the PTT 8" has to offer, I am hoping low distortion way down to 70Hz in a relatively smaller sealed box. but fearing the potential cost of entry to get there.

Once that gets built, the 6.5 will end up with surround duties. That will be killer mult-ch setup.

I got 2x 6.5 from the group buy (I think it was ~$250 + shipping each). and then bought 2x used ones later on also for $250 each.

I have built cabinets with the SB 5x8 PR and also lately sealed boxes. Despite not going as low (measures around 85Hz f3), the sealed alignment sounds better, better definition and more pace. It plays loud driven with dedicated purifi class D amps in active crossover. However, when pushed, esp with double bass solo and organ music, the 6.5 will bottom out in my moderately sized room. What's amazing is that the sound is not strained when pushed, they maintain composure until close to bottoming out. in fact, while visually it is oscillating like crazy, audibly i cannot tell it is working hard. Incredible.

The next step is to go deeper (in both sense i guess. :) ) and built a floor standing full range that can cover the last octave below 100Hz. Currently sub 70Hz is being serviced with arrayed subwoofers. I want the subs to handle sub-50Hz only so I need something that can go down to 50Hz or so, sealed, without any strain. I am envisioning something with dual woofers, dual 8" to dual 10". with PTT mid range and some tweeter on top to be decided. Currently, WO24P seems to be the best option for the bass. $1k for 2 pairs and fairly large boxes.

I am eagerly looking forward to what the PTT 8" has to offer, I am hoping low distortion way down to 70Hz in a relatively smaller sealed box. but fearing the potential cost of entry to get there.

Once that gets built, the 6.5 will end up with surround duties. That will be killer mult-ch setup.
From what I’ve read the wo24 isn’t great below 100 hz? Sorry for not having any more reference but I put it off my list because of this.

I haven't seen a single 4" Purifi build here. Please can anyone suggest a good box suggestion for a Purifi 4"4ohm woofer and I have 3 tweeters which would be better
Peerless DA32TX00-08 1-1/4" Corundum Dome Tweeter/ Fountek Neo X 2.0 Ribbon Tweeter/
SB Acoustics SB29RDNC-C000-4 Neo Magnet
Amplifier Power is not an issue. I want to get the max juice out these will go in my bedroom and dont have provision for a sub. So if it can give me as much bass as possible I will love it

From what I’ve read the wo24 isn’t great below 100 hz? Sorry for not having any more reference but I put it off my list because of this.
Everything I've read and the few times I've heard it in speakers indicate to me that the WO24 is a superb woofer.

I have read both ways. One guy seems to think it is not good, another guy likes it. Right now I am waiting to see what the Purifi 8" has to offer in terms of performance as well as price. Or if the weather stays good, perhaps get a pair of WO24P-8 and quickly put together a sealed box to see how it sounds and measures.

You guys either have much bigger rooms than me or listen waaaay louder. I'm feeling embarassed that, for me the 4" in a nice small box with a sub or two is likely to meet my current needs very nicely.
Not at all... your system i properly very nice. And do notice, that for some, better sound quality can easily compensate for the lack of high SPL. I only have 4 bigger subwoofers, because I like the effortless ability to play anything at any volume. This does not mean that I play loud all the time - I simply chose to pay a lot more to have a bigger system for the few transients that really make smaller systems bottom out and sound strained. Aaand.... to my ears.... bigger systems that are tuned right to a given room, simply have a more impactful and engaging experience with anything you listen to.
I believe it's very important to understand, that just because a system is big or can play loud - it does not necessarily need to be used like this. I also have an above average powerful car, which both cost me more and runs a little shorter on fuel.... but every time I push the speeder and simply feel that extra grunt - which I don't need to do (never speeding) - I still love it, when it pulls up hill or smoothly cruise out the highway - it's a luxury I know - but great enjoyment too :D

I also like the effortlessness in audio playback. Only a short look at BL graphs says enough IMHO. That's why I chose 21" PA woofers over high excursion/power hungry X-Max monsters for sub duties.

Back on topic: I'm looking at the new PTT6.5M0x-NFA-01 midrange woofers for a mixed music/HT LCR set. I'm still doubting to build a WMTMW with 2x PTT6.5M08 or a WTMW with 1xPTT6.5M04. What configuration would sound the best for music?

I haven't seen a single 4" Purifi build here. Please can anyone suggest a good box suggestion for a Purifi 4"4ohm woofer
Well... no matter the technology... a 4" is not going to give you much bass. At low volume it might sound ok... but be careful, even though it might take a punch way better than any other 4". Box size.... well... simulate it... there are so many programs and free software out there. Simply try something out and see if you can make it fit your desires.
Do you have a DSP at hand for this project?

The PTT4 is a tough one. I played around with the simulation and there aren't a lot of use case that makes sense to me. Much of it is due to its larger siblings being more capable at not much larger box size.

It make sense when box size is paramount like in a desktop environment. Either sealed or PR with a little bit of EQ will work. Even then, a sealed PTT6.5 is only 5L compared to ~3L for PTT4 alignments, and more capable of accepting some EQ.

A sealed PTT4 has a f3 of 98Hz, compared to 74Hz f3 for PTT6.5 w/ 5L box. That 1/2 octave mid bass is crucial to most music.

It is possible to gain back most of that with a PTT4 PR. But now while the box is still small, the complexity of the build goes up and the $105 PR bring the total cost of the PTT4 the same as a PTT6.5. And the PTT6.5 sealed will have shallower rolloff and better transients.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
In my case I have a sub and a second sub would be easier to get into the room than a much bigger speaker. I currently have much bigger speakers and they get horribly in the way. and my 9' by 10' living room goes modal at a fairly high frequency so I do wonder if running mains down to hades has much benefit. Of course only one way to find out...