Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

There is a report on The Loudspeaker Project Pad page on Facebook by Rasmus Munk Larsen who visited the Purifi factory recently. Of interest to this group is a prototype using the 8” and an AMT in a waveguide. Rasmus really liked these. Can @lrisbo give any more detail or confirm if they will be available as a plan/kit etc.

View attachment 1115978
It is a demo made last minute for the Munich show. We do. it consider it finished. The box was supposed to be with rounded sides but we never got further than these test boxes. The 8” sits in a 32L ported box tuned at 28Hz. Two symmetrically places ports are venting at the bottom. There are two sets of port stubs’ connecting across the ports using T sections. These stubs are filled with damping material and their placement optimised to suppress the first port pipe modes. The ports are further lined with 5mm felt to block higher frequency leakage from the box. The 8” is placed symmetrically at n the middle of the baffle to kill the lowest standing modes in the box. Thick sheets of damping foam are placed at the velocity peaks of of the next modes (ie 25% and 75% of the box width and height).

Xover filter uses series notch element to cancel the breakup peak and lower the associated sub harmonic distortion peaks as described in the app not. an LCR impedance correction is applied to take the upper impedance peak out in order to get extended and flat bass response.

MundorfAMT25CS tweeter in a custom waveguide/lens optimised in comsol/matlab. xover just below 2k.

A wide baffle was chosen to limit the dispersion of the lower midrange like in classical UK monitors.

FR was tuned flat at 30 off axis.

This is not a near field monitor. The image is spectacular when listening from 3-4 meters.

We have very scarce resources and need to focus on the manufacture and design of drivers. We also trust that our customers will do great designs and kits. There are very skilled designers working on kits as we speak. Therefore, they in-house kit design is not a priority at this time. Perhaps when we have our own tweeter.

Reactions: 15 users
I'm using the 26ADC in a 5" Augerpro WG on top of a MW13TX and 2 x SB23NRX. Curious to have a sleek speaker, I found 4 x PTT6.5X04-NFA-01 and thought they could run from 400Hz and down in a closed box... with no high pass, since they have plenty of X-max - thereby avoiding filters, and hereby ease up on the integration with my 4 subwoofers. This works great with the SB's, but I can't really find a difference in sound that I hoped for = cleaner bass (perceptual, I know).

My guess is that the Purifi needs port or passive drivers, to reach lower notes, and that they aim for a driver that plays in smaller 2 ways - doing both midrange and bass well. It seems that a dedicated bass driver needs not be that expensive a a midrange to gain very good percieved sound quality - maybe mostly because of our difference in hearing sensitivity with respect to frequency, and room interaction changing a lot with frequency too.

Adding filters at 400 and 2000Hz and shifting between Textreme and Purifi, playing white noise - really did not add much to my idea of what these two drives does differently. Even though it might be fun to use the drivers I have, to build an MTM with a larger WG, since they do play great midrange, I'm not sure what I'd truly gain.

MTM do add other considerations, and that's why I thought of selling the X-version and getting the M-version to at least gain better sensitivity, even though my active system with lots of power, does open up for many possibilities.

Many people seem to point towards PA drivers for dedicated midrange, since they cost way less and might offer 95% of the same perceived performance. But who made a blind listening test with this in mind? I mean.... a 3 way system, with dedicated midrange with Purifi M vs any 6" at 1/4 or 1/3 the price.

Purifi I believe and experience, are great drivers for their purpose. But for dedicated midrange, it becomes a tight race. Maybe I should use a single of the X-version I have, with a 6" Augerpro and my 26ADC, to see if that clears up some thoughts on what is preferred. I might be suprised.
I did not know... but now I do. The exact drivers I have.... are used in these:

Usually I see harder cones be more smooth on all axis' compared to paper. So that's why I tend to like them - getting that smooth transition to a tweeter = great power response. The March Audio speaker, seems to do that too. So I guess... more speculation choosing between the X and M version.... hmm :unsure:

That would be great. I'm primarily interested in subjective reactions (I've got measured data from Hifi Compass). I'd prefer no waveguide. BTW, the alternative to using the MW13TX, currently, is the PTT5.25 or, perhaps, the M74A (I can't afford the M74B).
DSC_4891.JPG

6,5X with DXT and MW13TX with SB26ADC in 5" Augerpro WG.
Reason why the DXT is off center, is just because I had an old set of Proac's that happened to house the driver rather easily.

I can't really find any exact thing, that I can point to and say "this is much better in this driver than that driver". The TX/ADC/WG combo is really really good. And I love the way that I reached a sound stage, where I kinda forget the speaker and just hear music and talks come from the middle of the area between speakers, and not directly from them - ( perceived ).
When I listen to something on youtube...a talk - a presentation. I totally forget the speaker, and just fall into the illusion that my TV/monitor speaks to me - not the speakers.
The Purifi plays deeper than the little MW13TX.... but it also has a bigger box. I cross it around 400Hz, so it matters less. The DXT seems clearly less detailed with the smaller WG and different overall design, and it also requires better baffle design to work optimal... which the Proac boxes clearly aren't.

Maybe the Purifi somehow has a more smooth and nice way of being detailed, without being tiring in the long run. But I haven't really tested that fully yet. But I wanted it to be better... but still wondering whether it really is.

Reason why I originally chose the 5" MW13TX, was that it is being the only well-designed little driver I could find, that combined a harder cone, with a good motor, to get that smoother and extended response - on all axis' - which at first was combined with the DXT - and superseded by the SB26ADC in Augerpro WG - which I now enjoy the most.

Slightly bigger drivers - most 6". seem to easily have 3-5dB difference between direct and off-axis curves - already from 1500Hz. And the little 5" pushed that border higher up... giving me as much wiggle room as possible, when designing filters, EQ and cabinets.

Hope it helps :)

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 1116581
6,5X with DXT and MW13TX with SB26ADC in 5" Augerpro WG.
Reason why the DXT is off center, is just because I had an old set of Proac's that happened to house the driver rather easily.

I can't really find any exact thing, that I can point to and say "this is much better in this driver than that driver". The TX/ADC/WG combo is really really good. And I love the way that I reached a sound stage, where I kinda forget the speaker and just hear music and talks come from the middle of the area between speakers, and not directly from them - ( perceived ).
When I listen to something on youtube...a talk - a presentation. I totally forget the speaker, and just fall into the illusion that my TV/monitor speaks to me - not the speakers.
The Purifi plays deeper than the little MW13TX.... but it also has a bigger box. I cross it around 400Hz, so it matters less. The DXT seems clearly less detailed with the smaller WG and different overall design, and it also requires better baffle design to work optimal... which the Proac boxes clearly aren't.

Maybe the Purifi somehow has a more smooth and nice way of being detailed, without being tiring in the long run. But I haven't really tested that fully yet. But I wanted it to be better... but still wondering whether it really is.

Reason why I originally chose the 5" MW13TX, was that it is being the only well-designed little driver I could find, that combined a harder cone, with a good motor, to get that smoother and extended response - on all axis' - which at first was combined with the DXT - and superseded by the SB26ADC in Augerpro WG - which I now enjoy the most.

Slightly bigger drivers - most 6". seem to easily have 3-5dB difference between direct and off-axis curves - already from 1500Hz. And the little 5" pushed that border higher up... giving me as much wiggle room as possible, when designing filters, EQ and cabinets.

Hope it helps :)
It sure does help. Thanks!

Your comment about the bigger drivers is exactly why I'm leaning toward a small midrange and I too am having a hard time meeting my goals for it. I've found a few with sensitivity and distortion profiles that are suitable (PTT5.25, MW13TX and M74A), but aren't quite what I'd prefer regarding directionality and a few that are good with respect to directionality (SS 10F and Tectonic TEBM46), but have more distortion than I'd prefer. I may have to break down and put my T25Bs in waveguides.

Just for clarification, are you saying that you prefer the soundstage on the MW13TX system?

I really hope there's a midrange or woofer variant of the 5.25" and 4" with higher sensitivity. The 10mm of Xmax doesn't help in an intermediate role, but the size is perfect to put between some other quality drivers. Low distortion midrange is super important. I'd pair either with that new 8" all day.

Reactions: 2 users
It is a demo made last minute for the Munich show. We do. it consider it finished. The box was supposed to be with rounded sides but we never got further than these test boxes. The 8” sits in a 32L ported box tuned at 28Hz. Two symmetrically places ports are venting at the bottom. There are two sets of port stubs’ connecting across the ports using T sections. These stubs are filled with damping material and their placement optimised to suppress the first port pipe modes. The ports are further lined with 5mm felt to block higher frequency leakage from the box. The 8” is placed symmetrically at n the middle of the baffle to kill the lowest standing modes in the box. Thick sheets of damping foam are placed at the velocity peaks of of the next modes (ie 25% and 75% of the box width and height).

Xover filter uses series notch element to cancel the breakup peak and lower the associated sub harmonic distortion peaks as described in the app not. an LCR impedance correction is applied to take the upper impedance peak out in order to get extended and flat bass response.

MundorfAMT25CS tweeter in a custom waveguide/lens optimised in comsol/matlab. xover just below 2k.

A wide baffle was chosen to limit the dispersion of the lower midrange like in classical UK monitors.

FR was tuned flat at 30 off axis.

This is not a near field monitor. The image is spectacular when listening from 3-4 meters.

We have very scarce resources and need to focus on the manufacture and design of drivers. We also trust that our customers will do great designs and kits. There are very skilled designers working on kits as we speak. Therefore, they in-house kit design is not a priority at this time. Perhaps when we have our own tweeter.
Can you share with us the dimensions of the box?

It sure does help. Thanks!

Your comment about the bigger drivers is exactly why I'm leaning toward a small midrange and I too am having a hard time meeting my goals for it. I've found a few with sensitivity and distortion profiles that are suitable (PTT5.25, MW13TX and M74A), but aren't quite what I'd prefer regarding directionality and a few that are good with respect to directionality (SS 10F and Tectonic TEBM46), but have more distortion than I'd prefer. I may have to break down and put my T25Bs in waveguides.

Just for clarification, are you saying that you prefer the soundstage on the MW13TX system?
At present - yes. But remember - I'm a bit biased, since the MW13TX is playing with the WG and the Purifi has the DXT - and I prefer the WG with SB. The Augerpro WG simply makes the speaker disappear. Yesterday I saw Club Random with Bill Maher on youtube, and no matter how I bounced around the sofa, the sound was still perceived as coming directly from the TV(used as monitor with PC). I had to get up and walk closer to one of the speakers to sense the sound coming from it, rather than the phantom center image.
To me that is a big deal, since it really helps to create a believable soundscape.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like a great design and implementation. I ended up not pulling the trigger on the MW13TX deal, so that temptation has passed. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the PTT5.25. Maybe I'll push myself past my anxiety about it and put the T25B in a waveguide.
It's actually really lazy made of me. I had some old narrow cabinets which were easy to change into a test-cabinet for the TX+WG. You lose some support in the lower frequencies by having a narrow cabinet, but I have 2 x 8" woofers to support under 500Hz, so I thought it would be ok.

Freely in the room, resting on another old speaker ( do i have to many? hmmm. :LOL:) I then measured it flat within 500 to around 4000Hz with EQ in my DSP. Did the same for the ADC+WG - level matched and applied 24dB LR at 2kHz - which is where I saw the curves slowly narrow for the Tex and also the WG.

Reason why I especially like the more extended response of the smaller driver, is because you can more easily flatten it, and then when you use the filters, you get almost exactly the acoustical response of the electrical filter, rather than a mix of maybe a lower order filter + the falling slope of a driver that can't really reach the full needed bandwidth. I'm simply recognizing my own lack of skills - and then chose drivers that are easier to work with - hoping to get the best possible result :giggle:

And with the power of magic ( Augerpro's great work ).... the speaker as whole, became very smooth from 500 to 20.000Hz in the horizontal plane :D

I do very well understand why you want to go for the PTT5.25 if doing a very small 2 way speaker. But for a dedicated midrange I have my doubt with that very low sensitivity - at least on my own behalf - even though I have a powerful fully active system. Reason be, I've only seen the Purifi M as the real dedicated midrange.... and it's 6.5" with a huge breakup at around 3kHz, leaving me with no other choice, than to wait for a 5" version or use a bigger 6" WG, to cross maybe at 1700-1800Hz. Which might be possible.... and I'm considering it a lot :)

Reactions: 1 user